Elite DV-47AI or the DV-59AVI [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Elite DV-47AI or the DV-59AVI

LEAFS264
02-25-2005, 05:27 AM
It is down to one of the two. which one and why. Is the DV-59AVI worth an extra 400.00

LEAFS264
03-02-2005, 08:54 AM
I only have 2 days to make a decision...... is the 59avi worth the extra 400.00 bucks and why or why not!!!!

Woochifer
03-02-2005, 12:16 PM
Why two days and why only these two models? If you're pushed into a corner to make a decision immediately, then you're probably better off walking away and starting over.

YOU are the one that has to figure out whether the more expensive model offers enough to justify the extra $400 investment. Personally, I would wait for a replacement to the DV-47 to come out. When it does, then you can take advantage of closeout pricing or simply buy a newer and better model.

It might be a fine DVD player, but it lacks any kind of digital video output such as DVI or HDMI. Nowadays, most current midlevel and higher DVD players include HDMI outputs, so this is a sign that the DV-47 is overdue for replacement. Furthermore, with HD-DVD and Blu-ray due to arrive by the end of the year, are you sure you want to spend $1,200+ on a DVD player right now?

LEAFS264
03-02-2005, 01:46 PM
I have only two days left,because I left a depost for the Integra DPC-8.5 and changed my mind after they had ordered it. So with Friday my only day off for another 2 weeks and me without a Good DVD player....I was going to pick up one of the Elite Models. Is the HDMI technology far enough along yet? And is it mostly the cable quallity for HDMI that makes the biggest difference in picture?

Woochifer
03-02-2005, 02:13 PM
I have only two days left,because I left a depost for the Integra DPC-8.5 and changed my mind after they had ordered it. So with Friday my only day off for another 2 weeks and me without a Good DVD player....I was going to pick up one of the Elite Models. Is the HDMI technology far enough along yet? And is it mostly the cable quallity for HDMI that makes the biggest difference in picture?

Again, why only two days? Do you forfeit the deposit if you don't buy anything in the meantime? Impatience is the enemy with any big ticket purchase like this, and you're talking about $1,200+ for a DVD player. You've already changed your mind once, and being under the gun with a two-day ultimatum is not the best way to feel secure in a purchasing decision. Like I said, the decision has to do with whether the extra features and capabilities are worthwhile to you. I have no idea as to your expectations, viewing and listening habits, or what system you're plugging into.

There's a behind the scenes push right now to eliminate component video connections or at least make it so that they downconvert incoming signals with future HDTVs. This all has to do with copy protection. Since DVD is not a true HD format, that might not matter, but it is a consideration as the push to digital video connections moves forward (and will inevitably pick upsteam as HD-DVD and Blu-ray will likely output HD signals only through the digital outputs).

I'm in the camp that there's not a whole lotta difference between digital cables of the same type. With video, I would think that the difference in picture quality will not matter much between different HDMI cables.

LEAFS264
03-02-2005, 02:19 PM
Is it true that hd-dvd and Blu-ray players will not play regular DVD's? If that is the case,i have no desire to start my large collection of DVD's over again.

eqm
03-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Having owned the 47A, a DCDi Yamaha, and now my current Denon DVD-2900, the only one that was leaps and bounds better than the others was the 2900, ***ESPECIALLY*** picture-wise. The 47A has chroma bug and no-where near as film-like a picture as the Denon. I think Denon has a new model replacement for the 2900. See if you can get that one to try.

LEAFS264
03-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Are you talking about the 47A or the 47Ai which is the updated model.

eqm
03-03-2005, 05:59 AM
Are you talking about the 47A or the 47Ai which is the updated model.

From what i understand, the 47a and the ai are exactly the same except for the addition of the ieee1394 firewire out for hookup to an elite receiver with firewire inpu (sound only, no picture)t....so there shouldn't be any real difference between the two performance-wise.