10" or 12" Sub for 19' x 19' w/11' ceiling? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 10" or 12" Sub for 19' x 19' w/11' ceiling?

jamison162
02-24-2005, 02:35 PM
I want to fill the room, but not overpowering. Not too concerned about how low it can go. Just good, full, tight sounding bass that can be felt.

I can pick up an Infinity PS-10 (250 Watt) for $262 Delivered, any comments?

This Guy
02-24-2005, 02:39 PM
What's your price range? Personally that sub would be too small for me, but I also have a huge 12" horn in my room which is extremly loud.

jamison162
02-24-2005, 02:48 PM
I guess I could go about $500 max. Oh and front or down firing opinions?

This Guy
02-24-2005, 04:38 PM
check out HSU, SVS, and Adire audio. It doenst matter if its downfiring or front firing

Stu-r
03-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Check out the Sony WX-700 - push-pull 10"s - very clean - down to 20 hz. mine was $208 delivered

I want to fill the room, but not overpowering. Not too concerned about how low it can go. Just good, full, tight sounding bass that can be felt.

I can pick up an Infinity PS-10 (250 Watt) for $262 Delivered, any comments?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Jamison I would include in your budget some kind of digital parametric eq. The width and depth of your room has simular deminsions, and it is going to boom(peak) at about 30hz. The is especially so if you put the sub in a corner.

Breezer88888
03-22-2005, 02:44 PM
Jamison,
Can I suggest Infinity's auction site on eBay? Their factory direct refurbished subs are great, especially since you get Infinity's service and 5 year warranty. I have the older IL120 (interlude series) with some very slight scuffs, but it works great. My room is very large as well and Infinity puts out quality bass. Getting back to eBay, I frequently see their Alpha 12 inch going for your price range. And it has RABOS, a feature that lets you customize the output to your room's acoustic tendancies - which I agree with Sir Terrence's note. You'll need to buy a RABOS kit (apx $60) to use the included sound meter to plot out the E.Q. curve and see what suits your room.
Good luck,
Breezer

Woochifer
03-22-2005, 04:41 PM
Your room has put you in a somewhat precarious position because of its square dimensions and the size of the room. In general, square rooms give you higher potential for wave interactions that produce both boomy peaks and potential cancellations at specific frequencies. All of this will make the bass sound both boomy AND anemic if the conditions are right. A parametric EQ is one tool that you can use to get around the peaks.

In a room of your size, you should probably go with a 12" sub, and you should try to compare a sealed sub with a ported model. Sealed subs work well in smaller rooms because their more gradual rolloff characteristics benefit from the higher room gain in smaller rooms, while ported subs are good for larger rooms because of their higher SPL and efficiency.