Home Theatre Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Home Theatre Question

GRUBBERZ
02-24-2005, 01:21 PM
I am currently purchasing a Sony receiver. I own a set of Bose 701 floor standing speakers. I want a surround sound setup. Should I just buy a Bose center speaker and a couple of rears, or sell my bose and buy 5 new speakers. What Im looking for, is if I can utalise my Bose in a surround setup?

markw
02-24-2005, 01:41 PM
Betcha you get the same answers you got at AH.

This Guy
02-24-2005, 02:43 PM
do u like your current bose speakers?

GRUBBERZ
02-24-2005, 03:33 PM
Yes, they sound fine for movies and music. Could I use them for front speakers with a new center? Alot of people say that I should stick with one brand of fronts.

Woochifer
02-24-2005, 05:55 PM
You're in a quandry here because the most important aspect of a surround system is how well the center and surround speakers match to the main speakers. The most critical match is between the center and main speakers, and unfortunately Bose's center speakers do not match very well with their mains. I've not heard the 701s, but I have heard the 201, 301, 601, and 901 before, and the voicing on these speakers is not entirely consistent, yet they make only one center speaker for that entire lineup (Bose has even recommended their center speakers with the Acoustimass systems, which bring on yet another entirely different sound). As someone else mentioned, whether or not you keep the 701s and build around those depends on how wedded you are to that particular type of sound. If you like the 701, then try the Bose center speaker on for size and see how well it matches.