TOOL fans? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : TOOL fans?

Snowbunny
12-22-2003, 11:59 AM
Any TOOL fans out there?

The lift operator at my local ski hill, asked me what tunes I was listening to as he loaded the chairs, and I told him Bjork - Post. Its Oh So Quiet is one of the best ski tunes ever! Next trip down the hill, I asked him to name a couple of his favourite bands. (Don't you hate it when you're put on the spot like that? I always go blank!) Anyway, turns out he is a HUGE TOOL fan. He was even wearing his TOOL t-shirt which he lifted his jacket to show me. He told me that he had lived in the little village at the ski hill for five years and didn't get to buy new music much. Next run, I asked if he ever went on the Internet and he admitted he was so technologically challenged that he couldn't even turn on a computer!

So, what I wanted to do, since I'll be skiing on Christmas Day, is to leave Raggedy Andy a couple of comps of new stuff he might like at the office. But obviously, TOOL falls a little outside of my genre.

Any suggestions on groups that he might enjoy? He's twenty-something, obviously not too well off, and has a goofy, dangerous-looking, scraggly beard, but is a real sweetie underneath it all.

What would be even better is if someone could suggest a comp they may have sent me that I could just copy, as time is limited. I'm definitely giving him some Rae collections from Rob.

Thanks,
Snow

-Jar-
12-22-2003, 12:34 PM
I have several comps that this kid would enjoy, but I don't think I've sent any of them to you because I thought they might have scared you. :-)

Wish I could help!

-jar-

Snowbunny
12-22-2003, 12:45 PM
Caution: gratuitous 49th and 50th posts!

Do you Amercian folk really like it? Canned, deep-fried onion rings??? Is this some sort of hoax? I can honestly say that I have never seen anything like it on any dinner table in my entire life! Is this the vegetable dish version of a fruitcake?

Snowie

Snowbunny
12-22-2003, 12:45 PM
I have several comps that this kid would enjoy, but I don't think I've sent any of them to you because I thought they might have scared you. :-)

Wish I could help!

-jar-

"did he show you his Tool.........................cd?"

Heheheheh.... NO! Did I mention it was very cold outside? ;)

I gotta go back and see how many times I've missed the topic line chuckles!

If you really would like to help, Jar, ski season lasts till Easter.... Can you give me some band names? He was asking for recommendations, since he doesn't get to town often. I mentioned some Dusty recs, like Skinny Puppy, Cradle of Filth and Vomitorium, just to sound cool, but he hadn't heard of them. Or Strokes either, for that matter!

Snowbuns

-Jar-
12-22-2003, 01:06 PM
"did he show you his Tool.........................cd?"

Heheheheh.... NO! Did I mention it was very cold outside? ;)

Snowbuns

I'm sure it is, don't have that kid to be having George Costanza syndrome..

As far as Tool-like bands, well there's quite a few.. but no one really does it like they do, but I'll list a few...

Helmet
Quicksand
Fugazi
Shellac
Deftones
Clutch
Filter
Jane's Addiction

I'm sure there are 100's of nu-metal bands that are trying to copy Tool, but I really don't know or care who they are..

if I have any more ideas I'll let you know, I'm sure Slosh can contribute some ideas too..

-jar-

Snowbunny
12-22-2003, 01:12 PM
SHRINKAGE!!! Hehehe... good one, Jar!

Thanks for the list of bands. I can for sure come up with some samples for him!

JSE
12-22-2003, 02:12 PM
Chevel/Chavel (not sure how to spell). They kindof sound like tool.

JSE

Dusty Chalk
12-22-2003, 04:06 PM
He would like Dredg, methinks. They don't really sound like Tool, but for some reason, I put them both in the same bucket, if you know whut I mean.

Not too many bands sound like Tool. Rush, maybe (someone on some board likened them to a darker, more morose, pissed off Rush -- I thought that was a pretty good analogy). Especially maybe Moving Pictures. And, erm, A Perfect Circle, but...not really.

He would maybe like Opeth, except for maybe the vocals.

Not sure he would like Sk/uppy -- they're quite different. Not a guitar band at all. Ministry might be more his style -- The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste and Land of Rape and Honey, or perhaps the live EP/thingy (In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up (Live)).

Cradle of Filth is an acquired taste -- I don't know anyone who liked them on first listen.

I agree that Jar has probably put together the most comps that would be in the vicinity of Tool, and yes, or maybe Rae.

Slosh
12-23-2003, 12:27 PM
comp from cc/dbi. You do have that one lying around somewhere, right?

Doesn't really sound like Tool but it rawks all the same

Snowbunny
12-23-2003, 02:15 PM
comp from cc/dbi. You do have that one lying around somewhere, right?

Doesn't really sound like Tool but it rawks all the same

Hey there, Pattycake! How ya been?

One step ahead of you there on Girls v. Boys. Some others for consideration once I brave the crowds to get some blanks:

Can't Get Here From There - Jar Mix Summer 2002
Our Band Could Be Your Life - Rae
Your Concussive Caress - Rae
Getyerassoutanseesomebody - Vol 1 & 2 - Rae
Flammable Gas - Stone

And from my favourite rock producer:

Total Relapse
Oddly Enough
My Head Oh My Head
Disjointed

Yours are great choices because I think he is of the age that he wants to talk about the music with his buddies, so the more mainstream choices from your collections are useful. Somehow, even if he likes it, I can't imagine this kid discussing Stigmatabunny with his buddies after a couple of cold ones at the end of the shift. :)

I'll also introduce him to some System of a Down, and Strokes if I get enough time.

Merry Listening Season, Sloshy!

Snowflakes

Slosh
12-23-2003, 06:04 PM
Well, at least you'll have the karma thing covered for a while ;-)(assuming he takes it as an act of selflessness, naturally :-P Hmmm...but karma works both ways. Yikes!)

A girl from long ago used to refer to that time of the month as her stigmata. Yes, I attract the strange ones.

Good to see he'll also be getting a taste of D-Plan, BtS, Enon, and such. Alright, so the karma thing will work in your favor :-)

~Slosh - forsaking animated smilies

unleasHell
12-23-2003, 07:38 PM
not a huge Tool fan, I had two of their CD's and could NOT get into them....

BUT, they do one song that is absolutely awesome, with all the raw power of anybody you could name. You can hear the EMOTION dripping from the lead singer in it...

and that song is: SOBER, it freakin' rocks....

Snowbunny
12-23-2003, 08:16 PM
Well, at least you'll have the karma thing covered for a while ;-)(assuming he takes it as an act of selflessness, naturally :-P Hmmm...but karma works both ways. Yikes!)

A girl from long ago used to refer to that time of the month as her stigmata. Yes, I attract the strange ones.

Good to see he'll also be getting a taste of D-Plan, BtS, Enon, and such. Alright, so the karma thing will work in your favor :-)

~Slosh - forsaking animated smilies

Well, for heaven's sake, its not like I'm going to personally play the song for him! I plan to leave them at the Guest Services desk anonymously. Hopefully, he won't recognize me next time I see him on the hill. I'll have to keep my goggles on!

Its the least I can do, I have more music than I can ever listen to and the means to continue collecting. The community that this kid comes from is one of the ones that was evacuated by raging forest fires last summer and its not a wealthy community to begin with. I think he's gonna totally love Total Relapse. I was listening to it while I was burning, and man, that comp rocks!!!

Now if you wanted to share in the kharma, Sloshman, you could email me the tracklists! :)

Snowflake

NP: Forever Autumn's excellent Christmas comp while sipping Mimosas.

Snowbunny
12-23-2003, 08:30 PM
not a huge Tool fan, I had two of their CD's and could NOT get into them....

BUT, they do one song that is absolutely awesome, with all the raw power of anybody you could name. You can hear the EMOTION dripping from the lead singer in it...

and that song is: SOBER, it freakin' rocks....

Hey Gladiator, nice to see you on the new and improved board! I think I've only heard one of their albums and it was the stupid one in the neon orange jewel pack. I couldn't even manage to preview each song. I think I heard later that it wasn't their best album. I'll have to listen to Sober next time I'm at a listening station.

Snow

Dusty Chalk
12-23-2003, 11:05 PM
I think I've only heard one of their albums and it was the stupid one in the neon orange jewel pack. I couldn't even manage to preview each song. I think I heard later that it wasn't their best album.(a) They don't have any bad albums; (b) can't think of one that follows the above description...?

Slosh
12-24-2003, 04:14 AM
Now if you wanted to share in the karma, Sloshman, you could email me the tracklist

Ack! You tossed the tracklists? Treekills for naught :(

No worries. All of those comps have CD-Text that you should be able to extract via your burning software.

and when I see you
I really see you upsidedown
but my brain knows better
it picks you up and turns you around