Anyone have experience with a 6.2 set up? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with a 6.2 set up?

McFly
02-24-2005, 08:58 AM
I am looking into adding 2 subwoofers to my set up to create a 6.2 set up. I know a couple people that have done this, but their audio experience is limited and I just don't know if all they really want is more boom (kinda like the guys in car audio who only invest into subs). I am not looking for over powering bass, just something a little different. If one is behind me and one in front - both cross-overs set at different frequencies - will there be much of a difference? Or is this a waste of money? Thoughts, please.

shokhead
02-24-2005, 09:08 AM
I think its still .1 but your using 2 subs. I think if each sub was getting a different signal,then .2. Sound right?

Geoffcin
02-24-2005, 04:12 PM
I am looking into adding 2 subwoofers to my set up to create a 6.2 set up. I know a couple people that have done this, but their audio experience is limited and I just don't know if all they really want is more boom (kinda like the guys in car audio who only invest into subs). I am not looking for over powering bass, just something a little different. If one is behind me and one in front - both cross-overs set at different frequencies - will there be much of a difference? Or is this a waste of money? Thoughts, please.

But not for more boom. My subs are run with my main audio speakers for additional coverage on the bass.

kexodusc
02-25-2005, 05:11 AM
I tried this briefly with my 5.1 system. I couldn't really get much worthwhile benefit out of it. In my case it seemed to do more harm than good, the few placement options I had in my last house seemed to create some phase problems or excessive peaking.

Now that I have a BFD on the way, I'm tempted to build 2 subs to try this out again. My new room provides more placement flexibility. I'm building a sealed design, so naturally the max SPL will be lower. Boosting the 16-24 Hz range will also suck out some power so a 2nd sub could really be beneficial here. I'm not a bass head, I prefer quality. I've also come to realize after several hours of listening to over a dozen woofers last week that I prefer low xmax drivers for sound quality. Plus 2 woofers would not have to be driven as hard to do the same work, less distortion I'm thinking. But most importantly, I have 2 viewing places in this room instead of one, the 2nd seat is off center and the bass tends to be really uneven at this point. I think I can even it out better.

I'm ordering 2 drivers and plate amps anyway, so I'll cut out two cabinets. If one is enough, I plan to use the other one in the car or turn it into a gift for someone.

I will make a comment about "stereo subs" offering imaging and soundstage benefits. I haven't heard this to exist yet in all they dual sub systems I've heard (okay, maybe 3 or 4), the bass might be better but not these properties. I think in many situations 1 higher quality, higher powered subs would be better than two lesser subs, but I think there are case specific exceptions that might call for 2. We'll see.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-25-2005, 10:37 AM
I will make a comment about "stereo subs" offering imaging and soundstage benefits. I haven't heard this to exist yet in all they dual sub systems I've heard (okay, maybe 3 or 4), the bass might be better but not these properties. I think in many situations 1 higher quality, higher powered subs would be better than two lesser subs, but I think there are case specific exceptions that might call for 2. We'll see.

Kex,
Right now there is no medium for which you can test "stereo" subs. Most all bass information is summed to mono somewhere in the record/playback chain, so you will be hard pressed to find any recording or soundtrack that has stereo content in the bass range. Imaging and soundstage will probably be non existant because you really need high frequencies to establish this. Also phase variances that contribute to imaging are difficult if not impossible to hear because of our ear insensitivities in this range, and because of the very long wavelengths of the signal are greater than the distance between our ears.

kexodusc
02-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Kex,
Right now there is no medium for which you can test "stereo" subs. Most all bass information is summed to mono somewhere in the record/playback chain, so you will be hard pressed to find any recording or soundtrack that has stereo content in the bass range. Imaging and soundstage will probably be non existant because you really need high frequencies to establish this. Also phase variances that contribute to imaging are difficult if not impossible to hear because of our ear insensitivities in this range, and because of the very long wavelengths of the signal are greater than the distance between our ears.

Thanks, Sir T. This is much as I expected. Below 70 hz especially, bass frequencies are pretty non-directional, so I didn't think a bass frequency transition across the soundstage would be heard anyway, but I've heard too many otherwise reputable audiophiles swear to me stereo subs was the way to go...Certainly my experiences weren't all that favorable.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-25-2005, 03:34 PM
Thanks, Sir T. This is much as I expected. Below 70 hz especially, bass frequencies are pretty non-directional, so I didn't think a bass frequency transition across the soundstage would be heard anyway, but I've heard too many otherwise reputable audiophiles swear to me stereo subs was the way to go...Certainly my experiences weren't all that favorable.

Kex,
Bass can be made directional(as a tactile sensation) by setting up three full range speakers equidistant to a listening position, and pan bass frequencies across these channels, you will FEEL the pressure wave as it moves across the room. You can pan bass frequencies across two spaced subs, and feel the bass pressure wave move across the room. The problem is nobody records stereo bass. Bass frequencies get lost in large spaces, so it is impossible to record it as stereo. Small spaces make it difficult for the bass wave to make one cycle.

kexodusc
02-25-2005, 03:51 PM
Interesting, Sir T. This seems to contradict all I've learned so far, but it does make sense. With all the reflections bass frequencies undergo in a room though, how much localization can you perceive when "feeling" the bass?