New System Help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New System Help

Rock789
02-23-2005, 07:21 PM
hello, I am finally going to upgrade my 10 year old prologic system...

I have only been seriously looking for a couple weeks, but have a couple ideas and would like any advice you guys could give.

my fav. speakers thus far:
Focal JMlab Chorus 716 S fronts
Focal JMlab Chorus CC 700 S center
Focal JMlab Chorus 706 S rears
I have compared to boston, definitive technology, bose (and everything at circuit city / best buy that didn't sound good)

the place that has the JMlab's suggested a Velodyne sub (either DLS-4000R or DLS-5000R). I listened to the system with the 12" sub (DLS-4000R), and it seemed to blend well with JMlab

the only thing... the JMlab speakers were running off a rather nice preamp and amp where as I am looking at recievers around (or less than) $1000... Will there be a noticible difference on the JMlab speakers running off a reciever?

recievers which have been suggested were:
Denon AVR2805, Denon AVR3805, NAD T 743, NAD T 753 (763, and 773 which I think is a little higher price than what I want)

placement of this system will be in a finished basement... Tile floors, 7' suspended ceiling, movie listening area ~ 15' x 20' (entire room ~ 15' x 60')

Not the main function of this system, but I also play music which will need to cover the entire room (~15' x 60') as the pool table is on the far side... (background music mostly)

If there are any other speakers you guys think I should compare, please let me know...
also, please comment on the recievers I have listed, and again, any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks,
Mike

drseid
02-24-2005, 02:55 AM
It looks like the JM Lab speakers you are looking at are relatively efficient (8 ohm nominal impedance, and 90-92.5 db sensitivity rating)... As such, a high quality receiver could drive them. The 3805 will get the job done, I believe... I definitely prefer separates, but in this case, you could use that receiver and get good results, IMO.

---Dave

Rock789
02-24-2005, 02:48 PM
Thanks Dave

Worf101
02-25-2005, 07:02 AM
With a budget of $1.000 US you could get a serious HT receiver that, while maybe not as cool as seperates, would certainly give you superior sound with that speaker set up. If I had a grand to play with I'd get either and Onkyo 902 or Yammie 2400. Both are great rigs and the Yammie's self calibration system worked great when I hooked up a friends system recently.

Da Worfster :cool:

Rock789
02-25-2005, 06:09 PM
Thanks Worf,

general question...
can I get seperates for around 1k? or is that out of the question?

Worf101
02-27-2005, 01:34 PM
I don't own any and have no experience with separates. I don't comment on things I no nothing about through use or trial. You'd have to ask folks on the board for help with budge separates.

Da Worfster

phatbass
02-27-2005, 02:43 PM
www.outlawaudio.com

They have a 950 pre/pro for $700 and a 7 x 100w amp for $900, so $1600. That is about the entry level for seperates. I would get the 2805 and save for a nice amp, then in a few years get a new pre/pro. There normally is not a huge gain to seperates when compared to the amount of extra money that they cost. Money is much better spent on speakers, and it looks like that is what you are doing.

The only thing I would advise would be to check out SVsubwoofers.com. IMO they are much much better than the velodynes and less expensive for the same set of features. They also sound great and have awsome customer service. If you need a smaller sub with lots of bass check out the sunfire subs, which are also nice, but a little more costly.

That will be a great system when it is all together.

drseid
02-27-2005, 02:44 PM
Thanks Worf,

general question...
can I get seperates for around 1k? or is that out of the question?
On the used market you could get separates for 1K... The question is what quality they would be...

Since you are looking for multi-channel use, the task is harder...

You could couple a used Outlaw Audio Pre/Pro with a used Rotel RB-985 5 channel power amp (it does 100 watts X 5 into 8 ohms).

Quite frankly, I did not care for the Outlaw unit (I used to own one)... I do like the Rotel (which I have owned for about 8 years), and I continue to use it to power my rears and center channel.

Quite frankly, since it will be tough to find a pre/pro that gets the job done better than the processor in the 3805, in this case I would say the 3805 is a better bet (you can add a power amp later if you so desire)... Now if your budget were $1500, I would have said go used separates...

---Dave

Rock789
02-28-2005, 03:35 PM
Thanks guys,
I burned a test cd so I'll give these speakers a last test, but am pretty sure they are the ones I want... as for the sub, thanks for the info... I think I am going to just use my old sub for the time being...

test cd: Space Camp - theme, Apollo 13 - intro, Explorers - the construction, The Last of the Mohicans - promentory, Pirates of the Caribbean - he's a pirate, Back to the Future - theme, - back in time, - power of love, Van Halen - eruption, - dance the night away, - right now.

I figured a min or so of each of these songs should be a good test...

as for the reciever, I am still looking, but right now looks like denon may be the way to go...

(do you guys know anything good or bad about NAD?)

thanks again,
Mike