Soul Music [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Soul Music

Olivertmc
02-23-2005, 02:16 PM
Hi all:

I'm looking for some good, classic soul albums. I have a bunch of compilations from the 60's, but I'd like to know what you all think are the "must-have" albums of the genre. I'm partial to albums over best-of compilations, but if it comes highly recommended I'll certainly give it a try. I've recently been listening to Rick Fante's "Rewind" and it made me want to explore this music a bit. Thanks.

- Olivertmc

tentoze
02-23-2005, 02:38 PM
Hi all:

I'm looking for some good, classic soul albums. I have a bunch of compilations from the 60's, but I'd like to know what you all think are the "must-have" albums of the genre. I'm partial to albums over best-of compilations, but if it comes highly recommended I'll certainly give it a try. I've recently been listening to Rick Fante's "Rewind" and it made me want to explore this music a bit. Thanks.

- Olivertmc
I'm not really sky high on soul music, but I would definitely suggest Otis Redding, Live In Europe for a good example of the energy of his live shows. Probably my favorite of the limited number I have is Wilson Pickett's Hey Jude- from 1969, I think- excellent song selection, powerful vintage Pickett vocals, and as a bonus, Duane Allman doing session work with some fine lead guitar licks.

Ex Lion Tamer
02-23-2005, 03:57 PM
I'm not really sky high on soul music, but I would definitely suggest Otis Redding, Live In Europe for a good example of the energy of his live shows.

Lord knows I'm not an expert, and one of my recommendations below will undoubtedly belie that, but I second the Live in Europe recommendation. Also, Marvin Gaye's What's Going On , is another obvious choice, as is Stevie Wonder's Innervisions. Finally, I really link the soundtrack to the movie The Commitments, though there are no classic artists, the renditions of classic songs like Mustang Sally, Chain of Fools, Try A Little Tenderness and others are close enough to make this a good sampler. But please consider the source of this advice :)

Mr Peabody
02-23-2005, 05:34 PM
Being a novis Soul explorer myself I have several "Best of" or "Greatest Hits". I second Marvin Gaye. Earth Wind & Fire is very good if you like some horns in your Soul. One of my collections I was very happy with is the Chi-Lites, with big hits like Oh Girl and Tell Me Have You Seen Her and their later stuff transfers from Motown sounding hits like I mentioned to more social relevant songs. The Stylistics with You Make Me Feel Brand New and Make Up To Break Up. The Ohio Players Millenium collection done by 20th Century Masters sounds great. It includes upbeat hits like Roller Coaster, Fire, the jazzy Hot Sticky Sweet Thing and many more. I am also a big Isley Brothers fan. Go For Your Guns is my favorite album. I am not a Commodores fan, except Brickhouse but Lionel Ritchie's Can't Slow Down is an outstanding album. I can't get my gears to shift this low but most every one into Soul loves Luther Vandrose. I don't own any but I also hear Patty Labelle is a must. I own some and like Anita Baker. I also plan to check out some Donny Hathaway. I picked up a couple things by the Staple Singers but was very disappointed in the sound quality. I also have some Teena Marie who goes from soulful ballads to energetic funk.

Let us know if you find anything we should hear as well.

dean_martin
02-23-2005, 05:57 PM
Sticking with Otis Redding - Live in Europe and In Person at the Whiskey A Go Go for live albums and Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul and Dictionary of Soul for studio albums. If you like Otis even a little bit you'll want live and studio versions of Try a Little Tenderness and I've Been Loving You Too Long.

Aretha Franklin - Aretha: Lady Soul (her other 2 Atlantic recordings are supposed to be very good too and I think there's a box set containing all 3)

Sam Cooke - much of his studio stuff was syrupy, but Live at the Harlem Square 1963 is raw.

Al Green - Greatest Hits is a good compilation.

Marvin Gaye - I like What's Goin' On as an album. It's more social commentary than his later 70s records. But, Let's Get It On is arguably one of the best songs of all time.

I'll throw in the Superfly soundtrack by Curtis Mayfield and the Shaft soundtrack by Isaac Hayes. These add a little funk to the mix and are actually from the 70s. I can't tell you whether these best represent the artists but they're a fun listen. (For more soul w/a little early funk, you can't go wrong with James Brown.)

BTW, my dad's a big fan of Percy Sledge. Percy has a notorious reputation down here in his home state. Unfortunately, some of the 60s soul artists had to really sap it up in the studio, but out on the road...

Stone
02-23-2005, 06:17 PM
Solomon Burke - Soul Alive! (released in 1985 but includes a lot of 1960s songs; this was reissued as a 2-CD package in the past few years)
After all, he is the self-proclaimed king of soul. Great, great stuff.

Otis Redding - Otis Blue
I consider this to be essential. Has the original version of "Respect" on it and "Down in the Valley" is a classic.

DariusNYC
02-23-2005, 07:04 PM
I feel like Aretha Franklin's I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You has to be one of the best things ever.

nobody
02-24-2005, 04:20 PM
Yeah, Marvin Gaye's What's Goin On is a great one. I'm kinda partial to his SuperHits collection of early songs as well.

If you like Philly Soul, look for a copy of The Delfonics first LP, La-La Means I love You.

Another smooth classic would be the Chi-Lites Lonely Man, featuring their biggest hit, Oh Girl.

I gotta put in a plug for Little Anthony. He had a long career with a ton of graeat music, so I'd really suggest starting with a compilation from him.

Then there's the Drifters, the Platters, etc...

OH...don't wanna forget Curtis Mayfield's group the Impressions. You could grab just about anything by them and not go wrong. Jerry Butler from that group put out some good solo stuff as well.

You can get a little grittier with Booker T & the MGs fine, fine instrumentals. Or maybe something from

Then, there's always Jackie Wilson, James Brown, Smokey Robinson, etc...

OH...and BIG plug here for Sam Cooke, absolutely one of the all time greats, and another guy with a long enough catalog that you may wanna start with a compilation of his stuff.

OK...I've rambled long enough...huge category for great music...I could keep going for a while, but that just gets silly...

Olivertmc
03-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for the great recommendations. I'm going to pick some of them up this week - should get me well on my way to a decent soul collection.

Worf101
03-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Hi all:

- Olivertmc

There were/are some basics for covering "Soul" as I knew it. I'm just giving you the Major Players and schools.

1. Motown - Most obvious, most popular. Numerous "Best Of's" issued by Motown but avoid the early CDs that were little more than slap dab reissues. Motown Albums that are MUST HAVES.

a. "What's Going On?" - Marvin Gaye - My vote for best album ever made.
b."Diana Ross Presents the Jackson Five" - The Jackson Five. Their first and to me their best.
c. "That the way Nature Planned It" - The Four Tops - An absolute masterpiece still waters run deep.

2. Atlantic Records and Stax/Volt Records - The main competition to Motown from an organized label.

a. "Otis Redding Live in Europe" - Otis Redding - What the Blues Brothers pretended to be.
b. "Hot Buttered Soul" - Isaac Hayes - Soul grows up and embraces the LP.
c. "Spirit in the Dark" - Aretha Franklin - Aretha at the height of her power.

3. James Brown et. al. - Get "Showtime" Compilation and see/hear what the fuss was all about. "Love Power Peace" Live from Europe in the 1970s with Bootsy Collins on Bass.

4. Philly International - Delfonics, Stylistics, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes. etc....
Thom Bell, Linda Creed along with Gamble and Huff, redefine romance music for a whole new generation.

5. Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions - Curtis Mayfield wrote the soundtrack for the civil rights movement. His anthology is a must have, as is "Superfly". But he was/is so much more than that movie soundtrack.

This is a just a Primer. Rhino has some great compilations of soul from the 70's and 60's you can't go wrong. They remaster as you should.

Da Worfster :cool:

Olivertmc
03-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Worf:

Thank you for the info. I have two Marvin Gaye albums - "What's Going On?" and "Live at the Palladium" - both are excellent. Aside from that, and a couple of James Brown / Maceo Parker albums that I own, I'm looking forward to picking up some of the albums on your list. I think I'll start with some Sam Cooke and Otis Redding - as those names keep coming up. Seems like I am least knowledgable with respect to the Philly International stuff. I have never heard of the Delfonics before people in this thread began to mention them. I will definitely check that out as well.

- Olivertmc