Ray Charles albums? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ray Charles albums?

Lord Nikon
02-23-2005, 10:47 AM
I am going to stop by Best Buy to pick up a few cds and I wanted to pick up a Ray Charles one. I'm having a hard time trying to decide between 3 of them. First there is 'Ray' the movie soundtrack. Then you have Ray Charles Ultimate Collection, and his other current chart topper Genius Loves Company. For you out there that have heard these, if you had to choose which one would it be?

newtrix1
02-23-2005, 01:30 PM
I am going to stop by Best Buy to pick up a few cds and I wanted to pick up a Ray Charles one. I'm having a hard time trying to decide between 3 of them. First there is 'Ray' the movie soundtrack. Then you have Ray Charles Ultimate Collection, and his other current chart topper Genius Loves Company. For you out there that have heard these, if you had to choose which one would it be?

I'd go with that ultimate collection, can't go wrong there. The GLC album has it's moments, but IMO it's not "better" than Ray Charles' best solo stuff. It is however a great documentary of some fantastic artists collaborating. I don't know much about the Ray soundtrack, haven't even had a chance to see the flick yet.

nobody
02-24-2005, 04:06 PM
If you don't have any Ray Charles yet, I'd lobby hard against starting out with a bunch of duets done in his twilight years. I'm not saying they're not good, but when youm look at his body of work, it's not the stuff that made the legend. So...my vote is either of the compilations and leave Genius Loves Company for another time down teh road.