JBL,s [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : JBL,s

rod
02-23-2005, 10:36 AM
what does everyone think of the brand, I have JBL L5 towers and love them, all answers are wellcomed .

SpankingVanillaice
02-24-2005, 05:00 AM
I dont know the L5's but I can say I do love JBL too since they are soo percise and clear. I only buy JBL speakers. Since JBL's are top of the line.

Florian
02-24-2005, 05:47 AM
Well you have to put everything in perspective :p
JBL is surely no bad brand, but definetly not "state of the art" in home audio. While i am sure they sound great to some people, i surely wouldnt want one over the speakers i have owned.

JSE
02-24-2005, 08:09 AM
If you are happy with them, enjoy. It does not matter what others think of them.

JSE

McFly
02-24-2005, 09:02 AM
My experience with them is that they are great if all you want is loud, boomy, sloppy music. If you listen to anything other than Metal or Rap, I don't suggest buying them. They make good loudspeakers, but their mids and highs are horrendus. But its not buying them, so if you like them, all the power to you.

Florian
02-24-2005, 09:08 AM
Well thats why my new speakers have a mixture :-) Many ribbons and planars and regular drivers. Will see how it works out, but my best compromise seems to be ribbon planars with subs. Maybe a Apogee next :p Ill report on the RM30's tough. 4600$ tough. Not for everyone, but darn good.

Otherwise ill go to Apogee or Magnepan 3.6R with Rel.

JBL, are more party speakers in my opinion. Even tough my RM30s will cleanly hit above 110db in room.

SpankingVanillaice
02-25-2005, 04:55 AM
I am saying for the price JBL's are top of the line. :)

markw
02-25-2005, 04:57 AM
I am saying for the price JBL's are top of the line. :)... is that other speakers in the same price range are "better". I tend to agree. Ever listen to the Athena Audition series?

Florian
02-25-2005, 06:14 AM
JBL is hardly top of the line in their price.

If you listen to female vocals like Diana Krall, then the last speaker on the planet i would buy is a JBL. If i listen to Techno and party music, i would consider it but would most likely choose Jamo. A much better speaker (entry level) in lets say 300 -500 is the Tannoy RS2 and RS3 or some small B&W.

If you like the JBL's thats cool.

Florian
02-25-2005, 06:15 AM
God must love stupid people. He certainly created a lot of 'em.

Without a question the absolut best signature in the world :D :D :D

I know your content for the moment, but give the 3.6R a try. I used to own 1.6's too, but i almost cried listening to my other 3.6's

markw
02-25-2005, 06:29 AM
Without a question the absolut best signature in the world :D :D :DThanks! I try. In fact, some people would say I'm very trying. ;)

I know your content for the moment, but give the 3.6R a try. I used to own 1.6's too, but i almost cried listening to my other 3.6'sDon't doubt it. Only two minor issues. Room and $$, my friend, room and $$.

So, I take it you've seen my system listing at AA?

Florian
02-25-2005, 06:41 AM
Yeah i read it. I had so far a pair of .5's, 1.6's and 2x 3.6R systems :D

The .5 is in germany for show (my first Maggie) and i sold the 1.6QR. I have one 3.6R in germany which is now used by my parents. I have another 3.6R here in the US, but room and taste complications made me sell them and go for a VMPS RM30 which will be here in about 5 days.

If you ever stumble across a Pathos Acoustics Classic One, sell all your amps and buy it. Its by far the best match for a 1.6 period. :D

markw
02-25-2005, 06:57 AM
Once you get used to planars, it's hard to go back to monkey coffins, not matter how good they are. But, I'm pretty sure you know that.

..something about that rear dispersion and placement far from the room boundaries that adds so much to the presentation.

As for that Pathos. I don't doubt it but there's that $$ issue again. Been downsized and out sourced so many times in the past few years I'm in sort of a siege mentality, what with retirement looming in the near future.

Florian
02-25-2005, 07:02 AM
Oh i see. Lol, well i am only 21 so i cant speak of retirement quite yet ;)

You can run across the Pathos used for around 1500$. I have one at home on my other 3.6R here is a picture.

http://www.maggiefanclub.de/pics/pathos.jpg

pelly3s
03-01-2005, 06:56 PM
for those of you who down JBL i have to say have you given a chance to the ones outside of best buy and other stores such as the Performance Series, K2, anything from the Synthesis line, the older 4400 and 4300 series studio monitors, the LSR32's, the Everest, Paragon (or the Metregon as a matter of fact), or anything from the Tik line. as for Rod mentioning the L5's I must say he is lucky for owning those, they are great speakers. I guess I made my point. 95% of the people in the world forget about major accomplishments JBL has made through out the years. oh and one more thing i must add that JBL makes extremely efficient drivers.

gonefishin
03-01-2005, 08:14 PM
Hi Pelly,

Have you got any suggestions on places to look for (good) used 2441diaphragms? I can't buy them just yet...but figure I should start looking for some back-ups.

thanks,

dan

markw
03-02-2005, 04:18 AM
for those of you who down JBL i have to say have you given a chance to the ones outside of best buy and other stores such as the Performance Series, K2, anything from the Synthesis line, the older 4400 and 4300 series studio monitors, the LSR32's, the Everest, Paragon (or the Metregon as a matter of fact), or anything from the Tik line. as for Rod mentioning the L5's I must say he is lucky for owning those, they are great speakers. I guess I made my point. 95% of the people in the world forget about major accomplishments JBL has made through out the years. oh and one more thing i must add that JBL makes extremely efficient drivers.I'm not particularly familiar with the L5 speaker so I withheld comment on it.

My response was more directed at SVI. He's got a history here that warrants such responses. Unlike SVI, I simply don't think what they offer at Big Box City is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

As far as JBL goes, I have a pair of their L55's from the early 70;s and, while not the biggest and baddest they ever did, they served me well. Now, had I known and waited a year I would have had the Jublals but hindsight is 20/20.

I have great respect for a goodly portion of their line, particularly their older products and their pro line. I would love to get hold of some of their big stuff from the 60's and early 70's, particularly their Olympus series.

pelly3s
03-02-2005, 06:19 AM
gonefishin let me check at work i might have some used or new ones that i might be able let go for a good price.

gonefishin
03-02-2005, 01:25 PM
Thanks pelly :)

proaudio
03-03-2005, 01:09 AM
I like JBL's the best. You can go to www.jblpro.com for current models.

proaudio
03-03-2005, 01:24 AM
JBL AE's are good. If you can, get a 3 way speaker and a sub for a 4 way system. DBX 480 good or dbx 260 good for 3 way prosessing. 3 or 4 amps. QSC SRA or crown k1 or k2 have no fans. powerlights, powerlight II, macrotech's,cts,i-tech good amps. crown xls okay amp. Cheap amps will make JBL's sound bad. Good wire such as audioQuest makes it sound excellent such as CV-6 and good interconnects. LSR6332s are good for smaller rooms with a sub. Most of these speakers are $1000.00 and up

proaudio
03-03-2005, 02:14 AM
The best vocals I heard are from JBL's. They have great horns. up to 130DB
Some horns can cost $700.00 Just from the horns . Using Highend Audioquest and American made amps.

McFly
03-07-2005, 09:56 AM
I agree that JBL does have some decent sounding speakers - if you spend $5000 for them. When it comes to anything apart from their high end stuff, they are big, sloppy and down right horrible - unless all you want is something that is loud. I second the motion for the jamo speakers above the JBL. I would argue that the bass response that comes from them blow the JBL's away not to mention that the mids and highs on the Jamo (from all of their lines) simply squash JBL. I actually just purchased the Jamo E855's and compared them to the JBL's that retail for $300 more - no competition - Jamo got my money.

SpankingVanillaice
03-07-2005, 02:52 PM
I found out that my JBL Control 1X are way flatter response than the orginal Control 1's so I am excited. These are the flattest speakers I ever owned. Its like +- 0.5 db.

Peter Duminy
03-07-2005, 04:32 PM
I found out that my JBL Control 1X are way flatter response than the orginal Control 1's so I am excited. These are the flattest speakers I ever owned. Its like +- 0.5 db.

That specification is every Loudspeaker Designer's dream! ;)

speakertoyz
10-02-2006, 07:15 PM
hello,

as mentioned by a few above, jbl is some of the most awesome stuff out there and if it weren't for jbl, speakers would hardly be what they are today. jbl pro is exceptional as is most of the vintage product. a friend of mine, Dr Bruce Edgar makes some absolutely amazing systems and actually uses 20+ year old jbl drivers and just installs new diaphragms or gets them reconed before installing in his systems. trust me, 1 listen of one of his large systems and you will have to re-think your whole audiophile way of thinking to date and that's listening to 20+ year old speakers in new boxes with new x-overs. freedom from distortion is just unbelievable and instead of thinking of how well it reproduces the soundstage, you are instead wondering why all the musicians are invisible as they have got to be there somewhere. the high efficiency and miniscule levels of distortion is the cause and again, basically it can be touched by nothing. yeah yeah, i have some old acoustat 2+2 mixed in with my jbl synthesis 2 system as mains but if i could have some of the edgarhorn's i wouldn't think twice, just a little big for my room and yes i do love the panels also, just totally different sound. NOTHING is as revealing of gear and source material as a high efficiency horn system and most are based on jbl so... many of the innovations of jbl have shaped the loudspeaker driver insdustry and are still in use today.

the standard under $1000 consumer junk from jbl is just made because that's what the market has gone to but it is definately not true "jbl" for those who appreciate jbl. that's business these days though, too few people who know the difference or actually buy for any other reason than a picture in a magazine or the look of the cabinet. if the salesman can tell you it sounds good it must right??? anyone say bose... i do some custom installs and i have installed my share of acoustimass systems (only if they own it already, i would never think of selling that crap). i can honestly say that nothing has ever come close to sounding as continuously bad as those acoustimass systems with the little cubes sound. the last few i installed i didn't even demo as i just didn't want to hear how bad something can sound and still be regarded as premium product and pull a few grand from someones pocket. the drivers in the sats are too big not to beam so they use 2 tilted... ehh, ok... on the other hand they are too small for any midbass so they ALWAYS sound thin. there is a hole in the response between the sub and cubes as they can't cross the sub over high enough and still avoid having it's location become obvious... it just goes to show how retarded the general consumer is. truly shocking but i bet there are a ton of users here that would take bose anyday and call jbl pure junk...

cameron