Clinton and Bush Sr. go on a date... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Clinton and Bush Sr. go on a date...

piece-it pete
02-23-2005, 10:22 AM
well not really.

But you've got to admit that seeing them together in the tusnami-effected area is somewhat jarring, as partisan as this country has been lately (like it's entire existence!).

It's a great thing. With the last few elections so close and our parties' "ad agencies" spewing forth their attacks basically nonstop now vs every election cycle like they used to the rest of the world sees a very different America than the one we actually live in. How "divided" are our communities, in reality?

I saw some footage of the two of them talking about how although Americans have very deep differences in their political beliefs, we all agree on the importance of freedom, and don't go shooting each other when one side wins/loses. Well, that was the clear gist of it, anyway!

I thought it would be good to point this out, given our ongoing discussions. It is good that we remember this, and kudos to both Clinton and Bush Sr. for helping the rest of the world see it.

Pete

ericl
02-23-2005, 10:32 AM
There was an article in the NY Times this weekend about how both the Bushes and Clinton have come to really like each other. They've been hanging out together more and aides report that they really enjoy each others company. They attribute it to the stress of the presidency, something only a few men have experienced. It builds quite a bit of comraderie, i imagine.

Aric M L
02-23-2005, 12:02 PM
Comraderie yeah, but you've gotta imagine Bush Sr might be a tiny bit sore about Clinton chopping the legs out from under his second term and all the money he spent to campaign.

piece-it pete
02-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Eric,

I never thought of that. I guess that if it's lonely at the top, and the Presidency is the very top...

I wondered what Clinton was going to do after his second term. After being President, what is challenging? Also Bushs' geting old, and Clintons' not very healthy. Still, strange bedfellows.

Clintons' cheerful charisma does go well with Bush Sr.s' more serious? demeanor. Maybe we'll see them together again.

Aric, aawww look what you've gone and did.

:D

I've never run for office but have helped many campaigns, one so close (for mayor) it was decided by a flip of a coin - in a city of 27,000!

My guy lost. Bitterly dissappointing, yes - it has reduced many very hard men to tears. But in every election someone loses. Bush Sr. can and undoubtably did take some comfort that the race was so close no one took the popular vote, and the fact he at least had one term. Cold comfort, though!

Pete

dean_martin
02-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Bush Sr. can and undoubtably did take some comfort that the race was so close no one took the popular vote, and the fact he at least had one term. Cold comfort, though!

Pete

If you haven't already seen it, check out The War Room - a behind the scenes documentary on the Clinton campaign during the '92 election (did I get that right? has it been that long?). Clinton himself is not the focus of the film so I would think that even repubs would find it interesting.

I also think that Bush Sr. must have seen it coming given the cyclical nature of politics - 3 straight terms for either party is a long time.

ericl
02-23-2005, 05:18 PM
Bush Sr. vs Clinton:

A very boring personality vs a very gifted high-charisma politician. Charisma will win everytime. Sounds a lot like the 2004 election. Bush Jr vs Clinton... now THAT is something I'd like to see!

Regarding bitteness on Bush Sr's part - I'm sure he's over it by now. Its politics, and those guys tend to have the ability deal with that stuff as part of the game. Look at Mary Matalin and James Carville - how the hell do they stay married - or not spy on each other?

cheers
Eric