Better than a Denon DVD-1600????? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Better than a Denon DVD-1600?????

aienco
02-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Hi all. I really need some info. I am in Australia. It seems that the DVD-1600 here is different from what you are all use to seeing. The ones here DO NOT have a component output and only RGB out through the SCART. Nor does it say anywhere that it is progressive scan or has the Faroudja chip set. So I am really unsure whether it does. I run it into a projector and because of the above, I have had to buy a converter that converts the Scart RGB to Component video. I dont know whehter this is bad or good, I have always gone with the philosphy of not having to many connections.

Getting to the point. I am not impressed with the picture from the dvd1600. Dont get me wrong, it looks great, but there is no difference between that and the svideo connection. When I had my Sony dvd hooked up, there was a huge difference between the svideo and component quality. I want to replace the 1600 but I dont want to get caught again. I want a player with a much better image quallity. I am considering the dvd2910. Does anyone have any thoughts on this please??? I am trying to keep it under $1000.00 which in US it would equate to roughly $800.00.

Woochifer
02-22-2005, 05:51 PM
Before you start jumping to conclusions, I would first make sure that your TV/projector is properly calibrated. The proper comparison is not whether the Sony shows an improvement between its S-vid and component video connections, but whether that Sony's picture is better than what your Denon produces under optimal conditions. If your TV is not properly calibrated, then you're not looking at the optimal playback of the picture. If you calibrate the projector to the Denon's output and you later find that the Sony DVD player requires recalibration, then it clearly has a different default output than the Denon and you need to adjust the monitor so that the color levels, brightness, sharpness, etc. are roughly equivalent.

Since the 1600 has adjustable picture modes, its default output might differ from what the Sony puts out (and to me a huge difference between the S-vid and component outputs is not necessarily a good thing since that might actually highlight deficiencies in the S-vid output). Using a calibration DVD, you can make sure that what you're looking at conforms to industry standards. Digital Video Essentials has a PAL version available, so you should look into that.

http://www.store.yahoo.net/dvdinternational/dvdi-0710.html

My understanding is that the SCART connection carries a higher bandwidth than S-video, but less than component video.

If you go with the 2910, you should check the back and look for the component video connections. I'm pretty sure that they're included now, since the 2910 also has HDMI and DVI outputs. Denon used to forego the component connections on their British models (which I assume also go to Australia since you're also on the PAL standard) because at that time the SCART connections were more widely used in Britain. Looking at Denon's UK site, it looks like the 2910 does include the same connections as their North American models, except that it adds the SCART connector. You should be fine if you decide to go with Denon again.

aienco
02-22-2005, 06:16 PM
Thank you so much for your input. I had thought exactly what you said. So much so that yesterday after writing this, I ordered the DVD calabration disc. I should have it today or tomorrow. I guess my main concern though, is not so much that I have to use the scart, but the fact that the US models clearly state the 1600 is progressive and uses the Fargudia DCDi. I have looked at so many articles and brochures on the net, the US ones make many refrences to this but yet NOT ONE article or brochure from the UK or Aust, make mention the 1600 is progressive and uses the fargudia DCDi. Denon distributors here are totally useless. One tech here told me it was, the other said it wasnt???

QUOTE=Woochifer]Before you start jumping to conclusions, I would first make sure that your TV/projector is properly calibrated. The proper comparison is not whether the Sony shows an improvement between its S-vid and component video connections, but whether that Sony's picture is better than what your Denon produces under optimal conditions. If your TV is not properly calibrated, then you're not looking at the optimal playback of the picture. If you calibrate the projector to the Denon's output and you later find that the Sony DVD player requires recalibration, then it clearly has a different default output than the Denon and you need to adjust the monitor so that the color levels, brightness, sharpness, etc. are roughly equivalent.

Since the 1600 has adjustable picture modes, its default output might differ from what the Sony puts out (and to me a huge difference between the S-vid and component outputs is not necessarily a good thing since that might actually highlight deficiencies in the S-vid output). Using a calibration DVD, you can make sure that what you're looking at conforms to industry standards. Digital Video Essentials has a PAL version available, so you should look into that.

http://www.store.yahoo.net/dvdinternational/dvdi-0710.html

My understanding is that the SCART connection carries a higher bandwidth than S-video, but less than component video.

If you go with the 2910, you should check the back and look for the component video connections. I'm pretty sure that they're included now, since the 2910 also has HDMI and DVI outputs. Denon used to forego the component connections on their British models (which I assume also go to Australia since you're also on the PAL standard) because at that time the SCART connections were more widely used in Britain. Looking at Denon's UK site, it looks like the 2910 does include the same connections as their North American models, except that it adds the SCART connector. You should be fine if you decide to go with Denon again.[/QUOTE]

Mr Peabody
02-23-2005, 05:56 PM
Even though he calibrates his projector shouldn't there be an improvement in picture quality when using component video since it is a 480p digital signal using progressive scan? It would seem the component video would be better than the best analog signal you could achieve.

Woochifer
02-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Even though he calibrates his projector shouldn't there be an improvement in picture quality when using component video since it is a 480p digital signal using progressive scan? It would seem the component video would be better than the best analog signal you could achieve.

I would say yes, but he's using a SCART connection right now that's converted to component video. I believe that SCART is a higher bandwidth connection than S-vid, but I have no idea if it can carry a progressive signal. The DVD-1600 dates back four years, and back then the SCART connection was widely used in the PAL regions.