letterbox bars on a Widescreen TV? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : letterbox bars on a Widescreen TV?

Sidecar666
02-21-2005, 06:27 PM
I just got a Mitsubishi 52" Widescreen TV. When I play DVDs I still get the black bars on the top and bottom like when watching a DVD on my 4:3 TV. I believe everything is set correctly within the menus from the DVD player and the TV itself. The bars aren't as wide as if it was on a 4:3 tv, but they are still there. Am I correct in assuming that watching a widescreen DVD on a widescreen TV should eliminate the bars?

hershon
02-21-2005, 06:57 PM
I have a 48" widescreen Mitsubishi. For a bunch of widescreen DVD's, I still have to use the Zoom1 or Expand 1 picture format option to ge rid of the bars as "Standard" doesn't seem to be that great. There doesn't seem to be a consistancy in them for me, you have to take things one DVD at a time. For most of my DVD's, I have to use the Expand1 or Zoom1 control. There is no distortion on these controls and it cuts out a small negligible portion on the bottom & I think top frame. The one thing I do know, is to get the full menu option, I have to first put this on a 4:3 and then for the movie change it to 16:9 via Expand or Zoom.

I just got a Mitsubishi 52" Widescreen TV. When I play DVDs I still get the black bars on the top and bottom like when watching a DVD on my 4:3 TV. I believe everything is set correctly within the menus from the DVD player and the TV itself. The bars aren't as wide as if it was on a 4:3 tv, but they are still there. Am I correct in assuming that watching a widescreen DVD on a widescreen TV should eliminate the bars?

popolz
02-21-2005, 06:58 PM
There's alot of aspect ratio... your TV is most likely 1.78:1 and if the movie is 1.85:1 or 2.35:1, you'll have black stripes.

s dog
02-21-2005, 09:37 PM
I get the same thing on my 57'' toshiba wide screen tv, the only movies that i have which fill the whole screen are the 16 x 9 dvds.

risabet
02-21-2005, 11:28 PM

I'm no videophile but as I understand it anamorphic DVD's will fill the screen on 16:9 monitors with out the bars as will 2.35:1 ratio discs. Other aspect ratios will have bars that are larger or smaller depending on the ratio of the disc.

Monstrous Mike
02-22-2005, 08:02 AM
Anamorphic DVDs can have different aspect ratios. These DVDs are different in that they contain more video infomation than a regular DVD, thus the picture is better. They are often referred to as "Enhanced for 16:9 TVs" because they can only be taken advantage of by widescreen TVs (or 4:3 TVs that have a widescreen mode).

LMB
02-22-2005, 11:16 AM

DVD'S ARE EITHER 2.35:1 OR 1.85:1 ANAMORPHIC (WIDESCREEN) WITH THE 2.35:1 YOU WILL GET BARS ON TOP & BOTTOM
YOU CAN ZOOM THE PICTURE BUT THE QUALITY OF THE PICTURE WILL CHANGE ALSO, MAKE SURE YOUR TV IS SET FOR 16:9 RATIO
ENJOY YOUR MITSUBISHI
HAVE YOU TRIED HDTV CABLE BOX OR SATELLITE? GREAT PICTURE

Sidecar666
02-22-2005, 01:19 PM
wow...that's crazy. I have to put it in zoom or expand mode to get it to go full size? That just doesn't seem correct to me. I'll give it a try, though. Does it have something to do with when a DVD says "anamorphic widescreen" or just plain "widescreen" maybe? Most rental movies don't give me a choice of what kind of widescreen mode the movie is in. Damn... can't they all just pick a format and everybody stick to it?!??! HAHAHA!

LMB
02-22-2005, 02:15 PM
wow...that's crazy. I have to put it in zoom or expand mode to get it to go full size? That just doesn't seem correct to me. I'll give it a try, though. Does it have something to do with when a DVD says "anamorphic widescreen" or just plain "widescreen" maybe? Most rental movies don't give me a choice of what kind of widescreen mode the movie is in. Damn... can't they all just pick a format and everybody stick to it?!??! HAHAHA!

IT ALL DEPENDS THE ASPECT THE STUDIO FILMED IT IN
THE ONLY CHOICE YOU HAVE IS WIDESCREEN OR FULL SCREEN WHEN RENTING A DVD

CABLE & SATELLITE BOTH HAVE HDTV BROADCASTING(16.9 RATIO) WHICH WILL FILL THE SCREEN AND GIVE YOU A GREAT GREAT PICTURE

ENJOY