Speaker Popping [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Popping

malibushirl
02-21-2005, 12:10 PM
Hi folks need some info on what might be causing one of my Monitor Audio 705 speakers to pop.

Diagnostics to date.
1) Speaker pops when driven fairly hard, but within reasonable limits. Especailly on Bassy songs/movies such as the Who, Baba Oreilly.

2)Switched the speakers and the poping noise stayed with the speaker so this would indicate that it is not a receiver or amp issue.

3) Completely swapped out the speakers with a pair of Polk speakers and no popping noise occurred. Just really dull, flat and un-detailed sound.

Replaced both drivers in the speaker but still have issues. Getting ready to replace tweeter and re-test.

One guy said that the speaker may have an air leak????? any one ever heard of such a thing?

Any input would be helpful.

weeboy
02-21-2005, 12:29 PM
Had a similiar problem with my NHT speakers clipping at what I felt was not unusually high volumes. During bass heavy passages the speakers would make a snapping sound.
I know they weren't being overdriven by my volume selection. But what I did notice is my receiver has a loudness switch that essentially boosts the bass for low volume listening.
But when in the "on" position for regular loud listening pushes my little bookshelf speakers beyond their limits. So in a nut shell, I turned the loudness to "off" and never had a clipping problem since.
If your receiver has a similiar option perhaps this will help.

malibushirl
02-21-2005, 04:12 PM
There is a loudness switch on the receier and I will test this but what is weird is only one Speaker does this, not both as seemed to be your case. Plus, when I swapped out the speaker completely with a pair of polk speakers they did not have this problem.

Heck, anything is worth a try...thanks for your input!!

I know they weren't being overdriven by my volume selection. But what I did notice is my receiver has a loudness switch that essentially boosts the bass for low volume listening.
But when in the "on" position for regular loud listening pushes my little bookshelf speakers beyond their limits. So in a nut shell, I turned the loudness to "off" and never had a clipping problem since.
If your receiver has a similiar option perhaps this will help.[/QUOTE]

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-21-2005, 06:05 PM
There is a loudness switch on the receier and I will test this but what is weird is only one Speaker does this, not both as seemed to be your case. Plus, when I swapped out the speaker completely with a pair of polk speakers they did not have this problem.

Heck, anything is worth a try...thanks for your input!!

If your receiver has a similiar option perhaps this will help.[/QUOTE]

Your bass driver is being overdriven, and that can happen even if the overall volume is not overbearingly loud. There is more deep bass in the signal than your speakers can handle. If that is the case, you need a sub bub. If you like you music fairly high, I would suggest a fairly large subwoofer(12-15")

A air leak is a distinct possiblity.

malibushirl
02-22-2005, 08:22 AM
Sir Terrance,

Thank youfor the input.
Cany you give me some detail on what an air leak in my speaker is about.
I talked to a Monitor Audio rep and they started to laugh at me when I mentioned this as a possible cause.

I do have a separate subwoofer. Klipsch model. I'm wondering if a combination of the loudness button on my receiver and potentially settings on the EQ/Anaylzer or sending too much bass????

System components are:
HK AVR 25 being used as a preamp
HK Citation 16 S amp rated at about 150W per channel
Front speakers Monitor audio 705 PMC's
Klipsch Sub woofer
Sansui EQ/Anaylzer

Thank you for your response!!!
-Speaker girl

Your bass driver is being overdriven, and that can happen even if the overall volume is not overbearingly loud. There is more deep bass in the signal than your speakers can handle. If that is the case, you need a sub bub. If you like you music fairly high, I would suggest a fairly large subwoofer(12-15")

A air leak is a distinct possiblity.[/QUOTE]

02-22-2005, 10:16 AM
Sir Terrance,

Thank youfor the input.
Cany you give me some detail on what an air leak in my speaker is about.
I talked to a Monitor Audio rep and they started to laugh at me when I mentioned this as a possible cause.

I do have a separate subwoofer. Klipsch model. I'm wondering if a combination of the loudness button on my receiver and potentially settings on the EQ/Anaylzer or sending too much bass????

System components are:
HK AVR 25 being used as a preamp
HK Citation 16 S amp rated at about 150W per channel
Front speakers Monitor audio 705 PMC's
Klipsch Sub woofer
Sansui EQ/Anaylzer

Thank you for your response!!!
-Speaker girl

Well an air leak occurs when the drivers are not tightly screwed into the speaker cabinet. This will keep the air that loads the driver during the back and forth movement from staying in the cabinet, and will cause uncontrolled or excessive cone movement.

I would say if you are using your loudness buttom AND a eq, that is likely your problem right there. Take out the bass boost, and do not boost the bass any more that 3db on the EQ. If you need more bass, turn up the sub. I think this is your problem right here.

nightflier
02-23-2005, 12:45 PM
Ironically, I had a similar problem with my Polk's and adding a sub solved the problem. Sir Ter., with all due respect, I do think the problem is the speaker since it is only happening on one speaker, not both.

Malibu, try setting the receiver to mono (turn off stereo) and see if the problem occurs on both L&R speakers. If so, then your sub should be set to filter more of the low frequencies that your speakers are not able to produce. If, on the other hand, the problem is still only on the one speaker, it's a safe bet that you have a problem there.

I also wouldn't like a tech support rep laughing at me. That does not sound like Monitor Audio, but maybe they've been cutting costs in their service department.... :confused:

Toga
02-23-2005, 01:51 PM
For the love of Plato!

Are your speakers PORTED??? If they have a tube up their rear, it is an "air leak" for sure below the tuning frequency. This means if the speaker is tuned to 45Hz Helmholtz behavior, then 10Hz to 30Hz will cause excessive excursion on the woofer cones, without putting much sound out. So... Try stuffing some SOCKS into the ports! If the popping goes away, well...

;)

malibushirl
02-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Dear Plato,

The Monitor Audio 705 PMC's are not ported speakers. They have a completely sealed cabinet design.
Thanks for your sock stuffing suggestion but I'll leave that one to the rest of the greek gods. ;]

Seriously, thanks for providing input.
-speakergirl

For the love of Plato!

Are your speakers PORTED??? If they have a tube up their rear, it is an "air leak" for sure below the tuning frequency. This means if the speaker is tuned to 45Hz Helmholtz behavior, then 10Hz to 30Hz will cause excessive excursion on the woofer cones, without putting much sound out. So... Try stuffing some SOCKS into the ports! If the popping goes away, well...

;)

02-23-2005, 08:13 PM
Ironically, I had a similar problem with my Polk's and adding a sub solved the problem. Sir Ter., with all due respect, I do think the problem is the speaker since it is only happening on one speaker, not both.

I do not think it's the speaker at all. I believe they said they had both a loudness control, and a EQ in the signal chain. If you are running both at the same time, you are all but asking for trouble in the low frequencies. These speakers are sealed, so it would take an awful loud signal to overload them. Bass can be mixed louder in one channel than in the other, so it is not entirely possible that one can overload, and the other would not.

malibushirl
02-26-2005, 11:48 AM
Hi Sir T,
High Sir T.

Wanted to check back in with you. This issue is actually with my Brothers set up and I am trying to solve for him. I gave him the following check list of repairs to try:

Turn bass volume knob all the way to off setting.
Disengage loundness button
Remove EQ from lineup.
Replace tweeter in affectred speaker(both midrange and drivers are newly replaced)

Somehow I sense this will not fix the issue. What has been most baffeling is that the popping is centric to the one speaker. Tested this by swapping the left and right speaker and then noticed the popping stayed with the affected speaker. So, I would think for whatever reason this one speaker is having problem swith Bass output. Doesn't happen at lower listening levels for this speaker. Only when he really kicks it up.

I have the same exact set of Monitor Audio 705 PMC's in my home setup and I conducted my own Bass capacity test last night. I gave my speaks the John Entwistle test and had them REALLY pushed to "Who Are You", Pinball Wizzard, Baba ORielly and then even gave them the Chris Squire test with some vintage Yes. These speakers works flawlessly and no issues with bass. I drove these speakers far harder than he is trying to drive his. I almost think this speaker is just cursed.
will update with results soon.

-SpeakerGirl

Geoffcin
02-26-2005, 02:08 PM
Hi folks need some info on what might be causing one of my Monitor Audio 705 speakers to pop.

Diagnostics to date.
1) Speaker pops when driven fairly hard, but within reasonable limits. Especailly on Bassy songs/movies such as the Who, Baba Oreilly.

2)Switched the speakers and the poping noise stayed with the speaker so this would indicate that it is not a receiver or amp issue.

3) Completely swapped out the speakers with a pair of Polk speakers and no popping noise occurred. Just really dull, flat and un-detailed sound.

Replaced both drivers in the speaker but still have issues. Getting ready to replace tweeter and re-test.

One guy said that the speaker may have an air leak????? any one ever heard of such a thing?

Then I would think that the speakers woofer is the problem. Driving the woofer to the stops is very possible; I've done it with both speakers and subs, but you get a rapping sound from that, kind of like knocking on wood, not a popping sound. Popping is more likely to come from an intermittent connection, a loose wire will do it. I would check all the connection in the speaker, and it's crossover before replacing the woofer.

tonypoet
02-28-2005, 09:04 AM

Diagnostics to date.

Carefully inspect the original mid-bass / bass surrounds. You will probably find a small slice or tear in the surround that is not visible upon initial inspection. Check by gently pushing in on cone while carefully inspecting the surrounds...

02-28-2005, 09:16 AM
After reading more information, I would have to agree with Geoff and Tonypoet. I would check the driver very carefully, especially the surround for a hole.

malibushirl
02-28-2005, 05:31 PM
Thanks everyone! I have really learned a lot from all the posts.

The midrange/bass drivers(two per speaker) were replaced with new ones from Monitor Audio. The rep was actually really cool and did this at no charge even though these speakers are past their 5 year warranty. Unfortunately, the popping sound still continued.

Sorry for the novice question, what is the area that those of you to refer to as speaker surround?
Awesome job guys, hope to have soem feedback from my broter this week.

Rock789
03-01-2005, 05:38 PM
I had an old car sub that did this...
it was simply being over powered, and perhaps the coil was hitting the back of the magnet. (it was a very loud banging, or popping sound)

another possibly which I didn't see anyone post about... the passive crossover may have some issues...
have you been able to look at this at all?

Goodluck,
Mike

pelly3s
03-01-2005, 06:22 PM
well i havent posted here in a while but i can give a good guess on the popping, either a tinsel lead that is loose and upon far excursion it arcs. another thing it could be is that the speaker could have been bottoming out against the back plate of the maginet and it may have slightly deformed the former for the voice coil. those are two of the most common problems i run across. now another issue that may occurr is that the spider is slightly coming loose from the cone