marantz sr 5400 too hot?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : marantz sr 5400 too hot??

MomurdA
02-21-2005, 08:00 AM
I just bought a marantz 5400. It sounds great, but i noticed that it is very hot after a couple of hours. I mean hot. Like the top part gets too hot to touch for more than a couple of seconds. Is this ok?? Is there a fan that i can buy to fix this that will bolt/stick on to the top to cool it down? Or should i be concerned at all??

enrique
02-21-2005, 09:11 AM
It may depend on what speakers you are driving and also how much ventilation you are giving the receiver.If you have it in an enclosed cabinet with no ventilation i would say that its not good.It shouldnt get so hot that you cant touch it.

MomurdA
02-21-2005, 09:18 AM
There is about 1.5 inches of space above the receiver, almost none on the sides, and probably about a half inch on the bottom cuz thats how high the feet are. The speakers are 6 ohms.

topspeed
02-21-2005, 09:44 AM
That's not a lot of breathing room, even if it's opened in the front. Are you running a full set of 5 or 7 speakers at 6ohms? What's the minimum your speaks dip to? 6 ohm nominal in and of itself isn't a big deal but if the speakers regularly drop to 2 or 3 ohms, that could be the problem. You might also have a bad unit. Check with your dealer about borrowing another one to make sure it's not design related.

If you don't have any other placement options, you can either buy a computer cooling fan and mount it in the cabinet or return the Marantz and maybe look for a class D based AVR such as the Panny SA-XR70S as it will run cool.

Hope this helps.

MomurdA
02-21-2005, 09:58 AM
I have a few computer fans layin around my aprtment. How would i go about wiring these so that they work with a standard 120 v plug? I believe that comp fans are either 12 v or 24 v. I can also move the marantz down a couple inches(the rack is adjustable) to give more room above it.

topspeed
02-21-2005, 11:11 AM
Sorry, I'm not an electrician, but I'm sure it's not very hard. You might call a tv repair shop or there are people on the board that likely know how to make it happen.

Definitely move your rack down at get some breathing room in there. That may improve your situation enough that you can bypass using the fan.