For Orb Speakers, the JVC RX-DV31SL is better than the Denon 2105! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : For Orb Speakers, the JVC RX-DV31SL is better than the Denon 2105!

hershon
02-20-2005, 11:38 AM
I realise this is heresy and I won't be elected by anyone on this board if I ever run for election, but with a few qualifications, to anyone who has Orb Audio speakers, I recommend you buy or use Orb's recommended receiver, the JVC RX-DVD31SL with built in progressive scan DVD player (retail cost $440, yiou can get it new for between $200-$250 online) over any other brand such as Denon, Rotel, etc., for sound quality if you play CD's.

Here are my qualifications. This is only applicable to Orb Audio Speakers. In no way am I saying that with another speaker system I would get the same results. My reference is to a bright sound and musically I listen to remastered 60'/70's CD's most of the time. So if you're a classical music fan, my statement might not be relevant. My set up of the Orb's was a basic quick down and dirty setup and if I knew what I was doing, maybe I could have fine tuned the Denon better, that's a big Maybe. I also listened to this digitally. After I unattached the Denon & packed the set up, I read Lensman's post about how I should be connecting this analogue instead of digital, so I never tried that & wasn't about to take it out of the box again. I generally prefer to listen to CD's via a digital connection. So I'm acknowledging maybe I didn't set this up the way some of you would and perhaps this affected the result. Lastly, maybe psychologically, I was used to the sound of my JVC and
thus was biased towards that.

So what I learned is that if a creator of a speaker system says the speakers sound best with a fairly inexpensive not universally praised receiver, maybe he knows what he's talking about. I can't say anyone had given me wrong advice as its hard to predict how something will sound like without hearing the receiver through the speakers in question.

Eric Z
02-20-2005, 12:18 PM
That's exactly why one should loosely look at recommendations and feedback regarding specific audio components; to each is own!

I still think it's important to hear people's feedback about reliability and quality- biggest reason many people go with Yamaha- their quality builds.

Sounds like you're pleased with your HT set-up; congrats!

However, I'm still a little skeptical to go with a 2 in 1 receiver/DVD player- one goes, both go! Sort of like those VHS/DVD TVs!

Enjoy!
Eric

stuartlittle
02-20-2005, 04:52 PM
It's not that surprising to me...I think that receivers these days are very hit or miss when it comes to music. They all seem optimized for HT or something.

kexodusc
02-20-2005, 05:51 PM
I wouldn't expect a world of difference between performance of either, but it's entirely possible another Orb owner would prefer the Denon. To each their own, there's no right or wrong answer.

Geoffcin
02-20-2005, 06:04 PM
So what I learned is that if a creator of a speaker system says the speakers sound best with a fairly inexpensive not universally praised receiver, maybe he knows what he's talking about. I can't say anyone had given me wrong advice as its hard to predict how something will sound like without hearing the receiver through the speakers in question.

It always comes down to personal taste, no matter who tells you otherwise.

Geoffcin
02-20-2005, 06:07 PM
I wouldn't expect a world of difference between performance of either, but it's entirely possible another Orb owner would prefer the Denon. To each their own, there's no right or wrong answer.

How many of us have found out that it takes a "two level" jump to hear a difference in audio components. I still like that Denon DVD player though.....

hershon
02-20-2005, 06:09 PM
I remember you have Orb speakers- what is your receiver and CD/DVD set?

It's not that surprising to me...I think that receivers these days are very hit or miss when it comes to music. They all seem optimized for HT or something.

hershon
02-20-2005, 06:17 PM
[QUOTE=Eric Z] However, I'm still a little skeptical to go with a 2 in 1 receiver/DVD player- one goes, both go! Sort of like those VHS/DVD TVs!

I agree. Technically, this system should not sound as good as it sounds with the Orb's but it
does. For some reason this receiver with the Orb's seems to juice up the music and sound.
My problems, albeit totally unscientific, had to do with the sound on all the other receivers I sampled and the Denon I brought home to try out was, they all sounded flat to me and I like a fatter, ballsier, warmer yet crystal like sound. I'm sure, if I heard the CD I sampled on someone on this forum's home system that had one of these higher end receivers, it would sound much better to me than the sound I heard in the the stores & my home as it would have been tweaked just right like I did with my JVC.

Lensman
02-20-2005, 10:10 PM
[QUOTE=Eric Z] However, I'm still a little skeptical to go with a 2 in 1 receiver/DVD player- one goes, both go! Sort of like those VHS/DVD TVs!

I agree. Technically, this system should not sound as good as it sounds with the Orb's but it
does. For some reason this receiver with the Orb's seems to juice up the music and sound.
My problems, albeit totally unscientific, had to do with the sound on all the other receivers I sampled and the Denon I brought home to try out was, they all sounded flat to me and I like a fatter, ballsier, warmer yet crystal like sound. I'm sure, if I heard the CD I sampled on someone on this forum's home system that had one of these higher end receivers, it would sound much better to me than the sound I heard in the the stores & my home as it would have been tweaker=d just right like I did with my JVC.

Technical precision doesn't necessarily produce better sound. Many find the clean power of solid state amps and the exactness of CD audio cold, flat and thin. This is why I had previously suggested you give consideration to tube amplification. You've used words like fatter, warmer and brighter to describe your sound preference. These are terms many use to describe how tube amplifiers sound. Adding your experience comparing your JVC receiver with the Denon would seem to further support tubes. Consider this: your JVC's power is rated at 135 watts 40-20K with .8% total harmonic distortion. By comparison, the Denon is rated 90 watts 20-20K with .08% total harmonic distortion (1/10 the level of the JVC). The Denon is a cleaner amp, yet you prefer the JVC's sound. Tube amplifiers have even higher levels of distortion.

If you are now satisfied with your JVC, great. If you are still questing for something better, tube amplification might be something to consider.

hershon
02-20-2005, 11:51 PM
As I know absolutely nothing or do I understand anything about tubes, could you, if you've got a couple of minutes, please suggest some tube systems and a rough guess on their costs. Are these tube systems sold in stores, online or what? Again, is the DVD player that you'd connect to this system basically unimportant if you are doing a digital connection or do you suggest that this be an analogue connection.

My JVC receiver is actually only 100 watts per (5) channels plus another amount for the sub click receiver for the specification linkReceiver (www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000093USS/ref=e_de_a_td/104-6388857-7155134?v=glance&s=electronics&vi=tech-data)

It's good you and others can understand the technical specs which I wish I could.