Restoring Turntable [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Restoring Turntable

T-Bone
02-20-2005, 09:22 AM
Hey... T-Bone here.

After reading most of the threads in the analogue room, I have realized that a used turntable in good condition can make some great music with a few adjustments (i.e., a new cartridge/stylus). My question is: If I purchase a functioning turntable, how do I ensure that my tonearm and cartridge are aligned properly? When I purchase a table, I will probably want to purchase a Shure M97xE cartridge (someone here recommended it highly). Will this work with most tonearms?

Final rookie question (I hope): How much difference does the tonearm make?

Hope these questions aren't too stupid... T-Bone

risabet
02-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Hey... T-Bone here.

After reading most of the threads in the analogue room, I have realized that a used turntable in good condition can make some great music with a few adjustments (i.e., a new cartridge/stylus). My question is: If I purchase a functioning turntable, how do I ensure that my tonearm and cartridge are aligned properly? When I purchase a table, I will probably want to purchase a Shure M97xE cartridge (someone here recommended it highly). Will this work with most tonearms?

Final rookie question (I hope): How much difference does the tonearm make?

Hope these questions aren't too stupid... T-Bone

If you buy a quality TT, Rega, Linn, VPI, Thorens, or any of a multitude of others with the tonearm attached, you can rest assured that the arm is mounted correctly. You may have to adjust the VTA, the angle at which the stylus interacts with the record groove, which is done by adjusting the arm height or installing shims i.e early Rega arms.

The cartridge requires alignment using an alignment protractor. In the best of all worlds, this should be done where ever you buy the cartridge. If you shop mail order you'll need to buy a protractor to do this yourself. Be aware that suspended tables like the Linn require proper setup to sound their best and this setup is best done by a properly trained dealer, IMO.
:)

royphil345
02-20-2005, 04:35 PM
There are some cartridge alignment protractors on the web that you can download and print out. They work very well. You have to be sure they print out exactly the size they're supposed to be though. Remember seeing warnings about this and they tell you what the correct size should be. Here's one http://www.enjoythemusic.com/freestuff.htm I'm lucky enough to own a Mobile Fidelity Geodisc which makes the alignment process very easy. Don't think it's made anymore though.

I'd say that with the M97xE the style of the tonearm isn't as important as the quality. I think good bearings and good balance in the arm are very important. A well balanced arm will put even pressure on all it's pivot points, keeping vibration to a minimum and connecting better with the plinth to dissipate vibration. After looking at alot of turntables, you can sort of get a feel for what arms are based on a good design and what arms are just made to look like they were. Tables like this usually have other "cheezy" qualities and are pretty easy to spot.

DaHaq
02-20-2005, 06:15 PM
My M97xE actually came with a paper alignment protractor. I didn't use it though, since the guy at the shop installed the cartridge for me.

royphil345
02-21-2005, 05:09 AM
That's right!!! Mine came with one also, forgot because I didn't need it.

Kaboom
02-21-2005, 10:00 AM
wrong! the MFSL geodisc is JUST back in print. i saw it on their website the other day :)
HOWEVER, when u can download straight-printable PDFs from the internet, i dont see much sense in buying the 50buck geodisc.
i got my printout from enjoythemusic.com i think. not too sure though.
made me realize my turntable was crappy to the point where the arm was mounted in such a place that perfect alignment is geometrically impossible. cool huh...

royphil345
02-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Is it one of those short-armed DJ tables? Are you sure it can't be done?

If you had a GeoDisc you'd be sure. So simple, it'd be almost impossible to make a mistake:) $50.00 is alot for a plastic disk though. Think I paid a little less.

Kaboom
02-21-2005, 03:42 PM
not short armed. S-Shaped DJ tt, but i paid 99 for it including cartridge (which got dumped before the tip ever touched any of my records). If you turn the volume MODERATELY up, you can hear the motor rumble throgh the speakers in the quiet parts...
About the geodisc:
http://www.mofi.com/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=11&idproduct=20
49.99 + shipping. But its currently out of stock

Dave Lindhorst
05-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Most important part of any Hi Fi system is the source. Having said that you should ask the supplier if they set tone arms up. If they don't really know how go to someone who does. Very important that it is set up properly. Just because it is a great turntable doesn't mean it is set up well. Takes about an hour or 2 to do properly depending on the tone arm used.

Don't overlook a proper set up it is really important.

We have a store in Regina Saskatchewan that specializes in turntables and the owner sets them up for his customers for no charge. He does a fantastic job also.