Which would you prefer?

Printable View

• 11-07-2012, 03:31 PM
    Enochrome
    Which would you prefer?
    VPI HW-19jr with AT-P6 tonearm or Nottingham Interspace w/ Hyper Platter and Space Arm?
  • 11-13-2012, 09:15 AM
    frenchmon
    I would get the Nottingham. Unless you got a VPI classic.
  • 11-17-2012, 11:42 AM
    hifitommy
    if i had my druthers, i would like to have the nott. more affordable would be the vpi/p6. there would be no prob for me to enjoy the vpi combo at the price.
  • 11-17-2012, 06:12 PM
    Enochrome
    I just ended up getting the Nottingham Interspace with Hyperplatter and Space Arm for $100 more than the VPI/PT6. I also picked up an Ortofon MC 20 super to put on the Space arm. I am also going to add a Jelco 250-ST and Denon DL-103 to the second arm mount.

Thanks for the advice and I'll post pics soon.
  • 11-17-2012, 06:28 PM
    hifitommy
    well, it looks like youre in for some great listening. the jelco isnt that far off the p6 which may have actually been made by jelco.

have fun.
  • 11-17-2012, 07:55 PM
    JoeE SP9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Enochrome View Post
    VPI HW-19jr with AT-P6 tonearm or Nottingham Interspace w/ Hyper Platter and Space Arm?

I bought my HW-19Jr new in the late 80's. It came with the PT6 tonearm. Since then I've changed and upgraded pretty much everything. If a used TT with upgrade ability is what you're contemplating IMO you can't go wrong with the Jr.

Oops! I'm a little late. Enjoy your new TT.
  • 11-23-2012, 10:18 AM
    Enochrome
    I tried to see about the upgrade path with the VPI but since they don't support it anymore I found it to be too difficult. Second hand sales were scarce and the prices were too high to make it affordable. I think people realize how goof the old platters are and are not selling them. I think the HW-19 series is simply superb. It basic turntablism perfected. The only thing that I mind is that it has a large footprint.

I have had the Nottingham for a week and have not set it up yet because I am waiting for the cart to arrive; the tonearm wire is so fragile that I do not want to do it
    twice. I will say that the build quality i superb and the platter weighs 18 lbs. !! The spacey marble effect is actually really cool and not as obnoxious as photos make it seem.

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.
  • 11-25-2012, 07:24 PM
    02audionoob
    This is interesting news. I'll be looking forward to more on this turntable. Sounds exciting.
  • 11-26-2012, 08:14 PM
    Enochrome
    Going to post pics soon as I get it set up. Setting up the arms is the biggest hassle. Everything else was a breeze. The only thing that is holding me back is that I ordered a digital scale from Amazon, because the Space Arm has no VTF adjustment markings so you have to use one, and that scale has not shipped yet (must be the Black Friday back log).
  • 12-01-2012, 02:44 PM
    frenchmon
    I cant wait to see pics...man your system is coming alone great!