Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basite
    i don't know for sure, but i think that when you say f@g in "you're a f@g" it means that you're gay...

not sure though,

the cd sounds great indeed, very lively to listen to, somewhat warm, not tiring at all, i always get that feeling with old warner bros recordings.

Greetings,
    Bert.

For point of interest f@g is short for f@ggot. F@ggots are bundles of sticks that were used to burn gays to death in medieval times. During Hitler's reign gays had to wear pink triangles until they were put to death.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular

Also, remember what vinyl NOT to play for naysayers...

...and I just wish all the vinyl lovers here could read this, and this post self-destruct in five seconds.

Do not do not do not play the direct-to-disc 1812 Overture. The cannon shots distort horribly, and besides the very real risk to your gear, the CD version is much, much better on those high dynamic-range passages. I know. I have heard both.

Laz

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

?don't play

the sheffield prokofiev on side 2 begins with a very loud orchestral dissonance that if played too loudly willdistort. one must find the proper level for that playback. there are volume limits with some recordings.

the 1812 vinyl is a physical challenge for most styli, and that is a consideration. IF played back for a potential vinyl buyer, it must be explained why there may be distorion. even if played back via cd, the volume limit must be observed to prevent distortion.
    ...regards...tr

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    It depends on who I'm trying to convince and how much I don't want to bore them if they're not in to certain types of music.

I agree. One of my friends is determined to get the 321 BOSE system. So, I brought him to my place, and played some CDs I told him to bring. He was not impressed at all, and kept talking about how incredible 321 is. Maybe my system is an utter crap, but I honestly dont care. If they are not interested, then it's just not gonna happen.

JRA

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    People like that amuse and astound me.

Getting back on the subject for first time ever

Got this album couple of months ago, and has never failed to put a smile on my face.This is what's currently spinning

Ben Webster meets Oscar Peterson

I couldnt have spent my $30 any better.
    Absolutely the best sounding LP I own..

I give this album JRA's 5 Star Recommendation.

JRA

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

I'd say...

...an album I purchased in the late 70s entitled "Charlie Byrd, Direct-to-Disc"...Pressed in virgin white vinyl (no carbon contaminants doncha' know), 45rpm (although it is LP size), produced by Crystal Clear records...

I bought it after reading about it in the late, lamented Audio magazine...they raved about the soundstage, depth, etc. and I wanted to see if their subjective words translated well into real world applications and how well my system stacked up...There's one cut where the fluglehorn (I think) is positively eerie...yet another where some rim shots spread across the entire stage...and no, it's not my speaks, the article noted and complained about that lone sonic artifact...

jimHJJ(...all in all pretty convincing stuff...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy C
    What's the LP you would spin for the vinyl naysayer?
    Lots of good choices so far! Here are my additions:

Hollywood Town with Amanda McBroom on Sheffield - wonderful voice and percussion
    Dafos on Reference Recordings - two pampers bass impact courtesy of Mickey Hart. Warn your subwoofers before playing. The first time I heard this was on the IRS.
    Berioz Symphonie Fantastique on RR - short playing time per side, but dynamics 'R us
    Wedding Rain by Liz Story on Windham Hill - wonderfully pure minimal mic / no effects analog recording of her Steinway (this is weird - that was just playing on XM)
    Aerial Boundaries by Michael Hedges on Windham Hill - another natural sounding minimal mic recording of this guitar virtuoso. Play this and you'll understand why I favor electrostats.

Don't laugh, but for explosive dynamic power in a pop recording, I have several 12" 45 RPM Madonna singles that will not disappoint. The only time I blew a fuse in my old Acoustats was when I cranked a kilowatt of tube power into them playing "Papa Don't Preach". The fuse itself was hot when I pulled it.

Lastly, I'm fond of quite a few Telarc recordings. Their commitment to quality recordings is evident. JoeE SP9, I have a special affection for the ASO Firebird because I was the official timer for that event. Remember the clarinet solo in the Polovtsian Dances? A section was recorded, then reviewed through the Soundstream recorder downstairs. It required three takes to satisfy Shaw. BTW, the reason he was pictured with a towel around his neck was that the AC was shut down during the recording process. It was hot! Even got an ever-so-minor thank you on the album.

rw

Audio Enthusiast

Two LPs I would showcase

Jennifer Warnes "Famous Blue Raincoat"

or

David Benoit "Every Step of the way"

I believe the most important part would be to specify pressings and labels since that could make or break on the sound quality and enjoyment.

JRA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information