Forum Regular

What Exactly Do You Need to Get Into Vinyl?

I still have a large stack of records at my parents' house and they still have an old turntable there (not sure of the model). I remember the hook up to the receiver wasn't your standard RCA jack, but had some red and black wire coming out kind of like cheap speaker wire.

I'm looking at getting a turntable for myself, and I stumbled across a Thorens TD166 Mk II for $100 Cdn locally. Is this a good unit? What would I need to improve on this unit? I'm assuming that the unit itself works just fine with its stock parts, but would a new tone arm, etc. make for a better product?

Any help would be appreciated.

Audiophile In-Training
    As to what you need to play vinyl LP's, you need a turntable with a cartridge and a phono stage, either a separate unit or one built into your preamp or integrated amplifier.

The Thorens TD series is rated pretty highly on the Audio Reviews web site. It would certainly be tempting to start tweaking and upgrading the TT, but by the time you've spent the additional money for a new cartridge and tonearm, you could have purchased a used Rega Planar 2 or 3.
    Last edited by joeychitwood; 05-13-2004 at 11:41 AM. Reason: mis-spelling

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the response. Do you think it is better to just go with the Rega unit? 2 or 3? I don't have any idea where to start. What else would I need? Cost isn't a huge issue, although I 'd like to get a lot value for as little cost. I was thinking the Thorens because of all the things written here and also because there is a local unit.

Forum Regular
    I think valuewise, the P3 is probably a better bet.
    the tonearm RB-300 has been highly regarded for its cost.
    If you like funky colours, the P3 also can be custom ordered to be in a few shades such as green, yellow, pink, etc. I think the colours make the thing super ugly though. Black or white is what I would stick with. But on the otherhand, I see some houses painted pink or purple, matter of taste I guess.

Forum Regular
    BTW, go to every garage sale every chance you get.
    Sometimes you may find loads of used LPs on sale typically less than a buck each. If you're lucky, you might get those multidisk box sets for only a couple bux or something.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by magictooth
    Thanks for the response. Do you think it is better to just go with the Rega unit? 2 or 3? I don't have any idea where to start. What else would I need? Cost isn't a huge issue, although I 'd like to get a lot value for as little cost. I was thinking the Thorens because of all the things written here and also because there is a local unit.

If you do decide to go with the Rega 2 you should look at the NAD 533. The NAD 533 is a Rega 2 made by Rega and sold to NAD. The Nad though is cheaper and comes with a Cartridge.

The Rega P3 is a step up but again you would need additional money for the cartridge. my dealer - Soundhounds in Victoria BC is the largest Rega dealer -- you may want to listen to the Audio Note TT1. It's hard to say how much it goes for. Probably too much. It's a great sounding turntable and was rated turntable of the year two years running in Britain - against Rega. Interestingly the TT1 use the Rega arm but re-wired.

They're porbably all good enough for most people

No doubt Music Hall and Project will get supporters.

Forum Regular
    Thanks once again for the additional information. With regards to the Rega 2 or 3, cost isn't really a huge issue, but RGA brings up the point that I'll need an extra cartridge. What will I need to fully connect either of these units to my integrated amplifier that only has the red/white input jacks.

RGA, sorry for the shameless advertising, but I'm listing the AN DAC 1.1x on audiogon in the next couple weeks. If you want that unit, email me. I'm in Canada so it makes for a lot easier shipping, customs, etc.

Audiophile In-Training
    No matter which TT you buy, if you are like most of us, you'll soon begin the process of tweaking and upgrading cartridges, counterweights, mats, platters and wiring. You might as well bite the bullet and buy the best TT you can afford, as you're going to ultimately spend the money anyway.

I can second the motion on the NAD 533. I bought one and upgraded the cartridge to a Clearaudio Aurum Beta Wood, installed the Origin Live Structural Modification (counterweight and end stub) and placed it on a granite slab supported by Isonodes. The sound is incredible.

I only listen to CD's now if I can't find the version of a recording I want on vinyl.

Forum Regular
    Well, I'm a used kind of guy. How about if I set a budget of about $1000 for used equipment. Would I be able to get a good system from that? As well, do any of you have any suggestions for what to get.

Thread Information