Audio Enthusiast

Turntable parts - Where to find good ones?

BIX and Teres are some well known turntable kits. Neither has been available for some time now. There are still some BIX parts floating around but Teres has shown "currently unavailable" for every advertised part in their catalog.

DIYHifisupply still has motors and platters but no one carries spindles and bearings.

Does anyone know where to find a good quality bearing spindle for the DIYer? I can scavange one from an existing deck but I would prefer one that can use one of the newer acryclic platters.

Another items I've found invaluable is an arm lift. I'm interested in the small passive mechanical devices that are placed near the end of an LP and will gently lift up the arm when the needle reaches the inner label. Does anyone know of a manufacturer? Ive seen one which works like a catapult and its somewhat crude and expensive. I want one that gently lifts the arm off the vinyl surface when it reaches the inner grove. There is one that was very popular with Linn decks many years ago.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

one of the reasons to buy NAME brands

is just what youre experiencing. i have a friend with a nottingham but that may have been around a while.

did you buy one of these obscure items? i have heard good things about both names you mentioned but have never actually seen one of the tables in person.

i will query david shreve to see if he has an idea about parts like that. or you could ask him at one of the audio society meetings.
    ...regards...tr

Audio Enthusiast

The experiment moves forward undeterred.

Due to a lack of suppliers, I decided to scavenge a handful of 80s turntables to see what I could find. I took apart a Fisher, NAD, Panasonic, and a Pioneer belt driven turntable to see what I would like to incorporate into my experiment. I encountered the same bearing on two of the tables so I know they used the same vendors. The Fischer seemed to have the most robust of the motors.

Although, Ill still pursue better parts or fabricate them, I really wanted to begin the experiment.

I sketched out a mockup design to begin exploring how the different components interacted with each other.

By doing the mockup, I was able to expose a few geometry errors in my concept.
    I was pleased that it actually worked, but there is a lot of work mechanically then aesthetically before its presentable.

But the exercise thus far has been enjoyable and a great way to spend the weekend in my dungeon!

Last edited by squeegy200; 05-10-2009 at 10:13 AM.

Audio Enthusiast

Setting up the ToneArm - Yes it works

The tonearm is likely the most intricate and time consuming part of the experiment. Getting distance and position in relation to the spindle is a challenge especially when you consider that I have three planes on which to manipulate.

I mounted a cheap cartridge keeping in mind that with all of the experimentation, I'm likely to destroy a few stylii in the process. Once I've got it dialed in, then Ill consider putting a better investment onto the tonearm wand.

The Airpump is noisy and Ill relocate it to another room or follow recommendations from others on Audiogon and acquire a medical grade air pump. There is also another sub-project which would build air chambers, air filters, and air regulators similar to what is used in the Walker turntable.

Already in this stage, I've broken one of the cartridge leads.

Isolating the motor from the spindle has posed a few challenges as well.

I've already begun mockup #2 Once I've got the geometry issues contained, then Ill pursue materials. Already found a supplier of cast acrylic including a platter.

Building a motor casing is also a huge challenge. Isolation, mass, and spindle diameter are all mechanical issues that Ill have to calculate in the mockup. If I buy a pre-built unit, then Ill have to adjust the turntable chassis to accommodate the fixed dimensions of the motor casing.
    Last edited by squeegy200; 05-10-2009 at 10:22 AM. Reason: modifying spelling errors

aggressive undertaking

i gotta give you a lot of credit for the effort. who knows, you may end up selling those. good luck on your endeavor.

interesting with one screw up and one down. anyway, the grado black should do ok tracking on a linear.
    ...regards...tr

Audio Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    i gotta give you a lot of credit for the effort. who knows, you may end up selling those. good luck on your endeavor.

interesting with one screw up and one down. anyway, the grado black should do ok tracking on a linear.
    Very good eye. I found that I couldn't balance the cartridge with the counter weight. The cartridge was just a bit too lightweight. So by adding the extra long screw, it was just enough to make it balance and then I could proceed with setting the proper downforce.

one of the cartridge makers

used to supply a one gram plate/weight for such problems, it could have been grado. other solutions are more crude, blobs of blue tac or modelling clay. even brooks berdan takes that shortcut now and then.
    ...regards...tr

Audio Enthusiast
    I enjoyed watching Brooks build turntables more than 20 years ago at GNP. I used to work in the next room and would wander over and observe when I had free time. I was privileged to watch him assemble his famous Eminent Technologies airbearing tonearm with dial VTA gauge on an Oracle Delphi which I was told was on display for a short time at the Smithsonian.

It was that experience which inspired me with the concept of building my own. I doubt my finished product will ever be as musical as his creations, but at least I tried.

Its comforting to know that even he used "ghetto" mods!

If mine is a total failure, then it will at least be an interesting conversation piece. Somehow the pursuit in itself is a large part of the enjoyment of listening.

maybe mosin could help you

he is selling the slate plinthed tt now for some BUCKS. catch him on aa.
    ...regards...tr

Audio Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    he is selling the slate plinthed tt now for some BUCKS. catch him on aa.

I browsed through Audio Asylum which is where I assumed you saw this new turntable. But I didn't see anything from Brooks. Is this where you saw it?

its MOSIN

that sells the table. his name is win tynon (spelling?). search on aa.
    ...regards...tr

Thread Information