Forum Regular

Turntable Recommendation please...

Hey there,

I am basically looking for a new turntable. At this moment i have a sony one which is on its last legs. i have been looking around and wanted to buy something which already has a preamp. I came across a few and was wondering if you could help me out to pick the best one.

Technics SL1200MK5
    NAD C552
    Project debut

It would be ace if you could help me choose a good one, or even recommend me something better, coz i would hate my records go to waste. i am not a DJ, so wont be doing the crazy stuff. The budget is about £250, dont know if thats good enough.

Cheers in advance...

The Denon DP-300F has a switch to deliver either regular phono level or the preamped output and might fit within your budget. I don't think there's any reason for the Technics...you're paying for something you don't need (built like a tank) when you could probably get better sound out of your other two choices. I would say get the turntable you like and if it needs a preamp just add that to your shopping list, along with a good cartridge. The NAD and the Pro-Ject sound like fine choices. And maybe the Thorens TD-170 is worth a look.

Forum Regular

Go for the Technics

I think you can buy new and stay in your budget but you'll also need a decent cartridge. It's a killer 'table. Nothing wrong with the other two you mentioned but IME the Technics outperforms them.
    Form is out. Content makes its own form.
    -Sam Rivers

The format doesn't matter. The music is all that matters.
    - Musicoverall

Forum Regular
    thanks for the recommendations, now i am confused... i was thinking of the technics one with a shure stylus. are there any other that i could have a look for...

My comment on the Technics is certainly not to criticize it. It's good. If you like it, I'd say get it. Other options might be the Rega P1 or P2, the Music Hall MMF-2.2 or 5.1, Thorens TD-170 or 190. I don't know how important budget is, but the Denon has the lowest price, comes with a cartridge, and is preamped.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by musicmatch
    thanks for the recommendations, now i am confused... i was thinking of the technics one with a shure stylus. are there any other that i could have a look for...
    You may have found a package deal somewhere that includes the Shure cartridge. If it's still under $250 Euro, you've found a great deal. The Technics has unsurpassed build quality in its price range, sounds great, has excellent speed stability (no belt), lasts almost as long as you will, and has been around in one iteration or another for decades. If I needed a 'table in your price range, I'd go straight to the Technics.

Just my two cents.
    Form is out. Content makes its own form.
    -Sam Rivers

The format doesn't matter. The music is all that matters.
    - Musicoverall

Aging Smartass
    There are a number of enthuisastic fans of the Technics SL-1200 here at this site, but I'm not one of them. While I'd never say it's a bad turntable (because it isn't), I think you can do a lot better with models from Music Hall or Rega for the price of a new SL-1200. You've stated you're not a DJ, and so the abuse DJ's routinely give turntables (for which the SL-1200 is famous for withstanding) isn't an issue, and the more delicate construction of turntables designed for better fidelity should provide you with superior sound.

Audiophiles, whether right or wrong, routinely prefer belt-drive over direct drive, and straight tonearms over the "S"-shaped arms, which rules out the SL-1200 as an "audiophile" favorite. Still, it will likely outlast you, your children and their children too, so it certainly has its merits, and doesn't require the "care and feeding" the Music Hall and Rega tables do.

And that's my 2 cents.

Forum Regular
    my first thought was getting a lenko or even the sanyo and upgrading it, but found not much information on how. so thats why i thought of technics, which i used when i was a wee kid. i have not heard anything on rega, so might have a look at that.
    is there any particular model you would recommend. i wud prefer a belt drive and straight arm, but the technics is really stable, and if there is a player at the same cost and does a better job, i wud go for that... any recommendation...

Forum Regular
    MUSIC HALL - MMF-5.1 TURNTABLE W - GOLDRING G1012 MM CARTRIDGE

i like the looks of this. all i need to do is try and find one in belgium. any suggestions as i am not able to find a dealer...

The Rega model to look at is probably the P2.

Forum Regular
    for the rega p2, the site doesnt say if it comes with a cartridge or is pre amp... for the cartridge i would gonna go for a goldring and for the pre amp from NAD, would that be good, or i need to check out some other...

With the Rega, you would indeed need to get a preamp and a cartridge. It would seem that some of the regulars here might have some comments on the quality and sound of the NAD and the Goldring cartridges. I have read some good user reviews of the NAD PP-2. One of the regulars recommended a Creek OBH-8 on a thread I posted regarding a similar topic.

Any knowledge of this PS Audio unit?

Forum Regular
    i was looking at the grado cartridges and pre-amp and also the goldring cartridge. i got the grado sr60, and judging those on the basis of quality, i was thinking grado would be a good investment. but i am not able to find much reviews on the grado pre-amp. got some positive reviews for the cartridge though...

Thread Information