anti skate weight problems

I just got my turntable unpacked after my move and got it all set up and the tonearm is pulling all the way to the right. I took the weight off when I moved, as well as the platter and the tonearm. Now that I have it all togther, I can't get it to work. I have taken it apart and put it back together a few times before with no problems but this time I just can't get it all balanced out. Any ideas? Its a music hall mmf 2.1

Shure SFG-2 Stylus Force Guage

Quote Originally Posted by SoundGuyDave
    I just got my turntable unpacked after my move and got it all set up and the tonearm is pulling all the way to the right. I took the weight off when I moved, as well as the platter and the tonearm. Now that I have it all togther, I can't get it to work. I have taken it apart and put it back together a few times before with no problems but this time I just can't get it all balanced out. Any ideas? Its a music hall mmf 2.1

The little weight hung by a monofilament line.
    Directly behind counterweight,you should have 3 notches to choose from,
    The first being the least and the last being the highest.
    You may have it on the least try the next notch the middle or the last which furthest away from the cartridge.
    Also try adjusting the down force to the cartridge manufacturers recommended tracking force.
    This guage is not very expensive and is easy to use:
    Shure SFG-2 Stylus Force Guage

http://www.kabusa.com/accesss.htm#pg2a
    Last edited by BRANDONH; 11-01-2005 at 10:19 AM.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

I have tried all the nothces and they all pull over. It is really perplexing, I can't find a reason why it is happening

I have tried all the nothces and they all pull over. It is really perplexing, I can't find a reason why it is happening
    Have you checked the level of the TT?
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Dealers in your area

I guess if all else fails call the dealer.
    Below is a list of dealers in your area:
    http://www.musichallaudio.com/dealer...&Submit=Search

Dealer's Name: DECIBEL
    Dealer's Address: 1407 N MILWAUKEE
    CHICAGO
    ILLINOIS
    Dealer's Tel: (773) 862-6072
    Dealer's Email:
    Dealer's Web: http://www.decibelaudio.com

Dealer's Name: HOLM AUDIO
    Dealer's Address: 2050 WEST 75TH ST
    WOODRIDGE
    ILLINOIS
    Dealer's Tel: (630) 663-1298
    Dealer's Email:
    Dealer's Web:

Dealer's Name: MUSIC DIRECT
    Dealer's Address: 318 N LAFLIN
    CHICAGO
    ILLINOIS
    Dealer's Tel: (312) 433-0200
    Dealer's Email:
    Dealer's Web: http://www.amusicdirect.com

Dealer's Name: PRO MUSICA
    Dealer's Address: 2236 NORTH CLARK
    CHICAGO
    ILLINOIS
    Dealer's Tel: (773) 883-9500
    Dealer's Email:
    Dealer's Web:

Dealer's Name: QUINTESSENCE AUDIO LTD
    Dealer's Address: 5701 WEST DEMPSTER
    MORTON
    ILLINOIS
    Dealer's Tel: (847) 966-4434
    Dealer's Email:
    Dealer's Web:

Dealer's Name: SATURDAY AUDIO EXCHANGE
    Dealer's Address: 1021 W BELMONT
    CHICAGO
    ILLINOIS
    Dealer's Tel: (773) 935-4434
    Dealer's Email:
    Dealer's Web: http://www.saturdayaudio.com

Dealer's Name: SATURDAY AUDIO EXCHANGE - EVANSTON
    Dealer's Address: 605 DEMPSTER
    EVANSTON
    ILLINOIS
    Dealer's Tel: (847) 492-8733
    Dealer's Email:
    Dealer's Web: http://www.saturdayaudio.com

Dealer's Name: ULTIMATE AUDIO/VIDEO
    Dealer's Address: 888 N LAFOX ST
    SOUTH ELGIN
    ILLINOIS
    Dealer's Tel: (847) 343-7507
    Dealer's Email:
    Dealer's Web:
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

The turtable is level. When the weight is not attached, the tone arm is level and once I attach the weight it pulls it all the way over no matter what setting

The turtable is level. When the weight is not attached, the tone arm is level and once I attach the weight it pulls it all the way over no matter what setting
    I am at a loss.
    The only other thing I can think of is the little arm for the weight is not properly mounted.
    My only recommendation now is to call some of the dealers I listed earlier.
    Good luck.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

I suppose I will take it apart and put it back together and if that doesn't work I'll give a call to one of the dealers.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Are you saying that you took the counterweight off the tonearm or you took the tonearm off the table. If you took off the counterweight I would agree with BRANDONH that you may not have the tracking force set correctly. I would take off the antiskate weight and balance the arm so it floats and this will be at 0 grams tracking force. Then set the counterweight DIAL to read 0. Then turn the weight to the desired tracking force. The Shure is a good guage to own but you will get close enough to see if this solves the problem.
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 11-01-2005 at 02:21 PM.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I will look at it but i don't see a way to set the anti skate force, other than the three notches. I will look into it when i get home.

I will look at it but i don't see a way to set the anti skate force, other than the three notches. I will look into it when i get home.
    That is the way to set the antiskate force but we were concerned that the tracking force set by the counterweight might be wrong. The loop on the string around the notch then the line through that arm. If the arm is not set to the proper tracking force the weight could easily move the arm.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

JohnMichael is correct and there's no other way to set antiskate on the Pro-Ject arms.

You need to set the tracking force first, prior to applying ANY antiskate or the arm will float all the way to the right back towards the armrest when you try to balance it at 0g.

Take the Antiskate weight off the arm, balance the arm so it's "floating", turn the dial (NOT the counterweight) so that it reads 0, turn the counterweight so that it's set to your carts VTF. After you've done all that - attach the antiskate weight and put it on the correct notch.

If it still moves back to the rest - call a dealer.

Good Luck!
    Cayin A-70T Integrated w/ Gold Lion Tubes · PS Audio GCPH Phono Stage · Pro-Ject RPM-9.1 Turntable w/ Pro-Ject Ground-It and Pro-Ject Speedbox II · Dynavector 20X2H Cartridge · Usher Audio X-718 Monitors · Ultimate Cables C4 Interconnects & Speaker Cables

Quote Originally Posted by slate1
    JohnMichael is correct and there's no other way to set antiskate on the Pro-Ject arms.

You need to set the tracking force first, prior to applying ANY antiskate or the arm will float all the way to the right back towards the armrest when you try to balance it at 0g.

Take the Antiskate weight off the arm, balance the arm so it's "floating", turn the dial (NOT the counterweight) so that it reads 0, turn the counterweight so that it's set to your carts VTF. After you've done all that - attach the antiskate weight and put it on the correct notch.

If it still moves back to the rest - call a dealer.

Good Luck!
    Thanks for the correction I should have said turn the counterweight dial to 0.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I'vbe got the arm balanced with the proper tracking force and still the weight is pulling over, I guess I will have to take it in. I really can't see why this is happening.

Does the arm pull to the right when the anti-skate weight is not attached and the tonearm is floating (stylus pesssure set to zero)? If not, maybe something bad happened to your stylus during the move? Isn't much that can go wrong with a weight on a string!!!

After playing with it last night I think something may be wrong with the counter weight. I get the arm balanced so it floats, and then I set the tracking force, but I don't believe the counter weight is displaying the proper weight, the rubber inside seems twisted. I ordered the shure force gauge and shoiuld be here friday, Until then, it is not in service, which sucks because I just hooked it up to my new preamp, which i really want to hear.

Did you fix it?

After playing with it last night I think something may be wrong with the counter weight. I get the arm balanced so it floats, and then I set the tracking force, but I don't believe the counter weight is displaying the proper weight, the rubber inside seems twisted. I ordered the shure force gauge and shoiuld be here friday, Until then, it is not in service, which sucks because I just hooked it up to my new preamp, which i really want to hear.
    Just following up.
    Did you find the problem?
    Were you able to Fix it?
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Thread Information