Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    SL-1200mk2
    Fluid Damper
    PS-1200
    Cardas rewire with RCA
    Strobe Disabler

Could this be the best $1K TT ever? I shall find out.

What's great about this is that I still have my SL-1200 mk2 so I can compare it's sound side by side. Also, I can always disable Fluid Damper, PS-1200 and Strobe Disabler so I can find out if those mods were actually worth it.

Hope to be spinning with a new deck before end of August.

JRA
    Speaking of new toy curious minds need to know.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Dont want to ignore you, but I feel like I need a bit more time for a credible review. Great thing is that I still have my silver SL-1200 mk2 so I can compare them side by side within a minute. I'll be sure to let you know though.

JRA

Dont want to ignore you, but I feel like I need a bit more time for a credible review. Great thing is that I still have my silver SL-1200 mk2 so I can compare them side by side within a minute. I'll be sure to let you know though.

JRA
    OK but its killing me.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Brandon,

Here is my review you've been bugging me about. Geez, can't a man work 80 hours a week in peace? I can't believe you took me away from work on this precious Saturday.

I havent added any gear for a while, so I feel like I know what I can expect out of my system.

Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference
    E.A.R. 834 Integrated amp
    VTL-2.5 Phono Pre (no Step-up-Transformer used)
    LP Gear Zupreme headshell
    Shelter 501mk2 (1.6g tracking and 1.8 anti-skate)

LP used: Grateful Dead, American Beauty
    I've listened to this album over 100 times, so I felt like this was a good choice. It is certainly not considered musically complex, but it does have loads of subtle layers with good channel separation.

Here is what I've found after comparing KAB modded SL1200mk2 and stock SL-1200mk2.

Spark it Up!:
    KAB SL has more clarity on higher freq on Piano and Mandalin. Stock SL sounded considerably strained. Even in my valve dominated system, Stock SL presented harsh edges. Fluid damper truly works the way it's advertised in my system. I wish I could tell you more on high freq response w/ low freq slam, but my speakers are limited to 7" in mid/bass.

On the Edge of Paranoia:
    This is one area I really listened for. I've try to listened to edges of music(end of notes and sequences). Each notes are well distinct and not dragged out or sound mushy by any sense. I can truly hear when Jerry's shaky/unsteady voice ends. The Stock unit on the other hand couldn't gather that small, yet vital, portion on black shiny disc.

Bong Hits are Bad for your Lungs:
    The track, Attic of my Life, really shows how much they smoked back in the late 60's.
    Not just one, but all vocal members are gasping for air on the beginning of each verse.
    That's probably why they moved on to sniffing that noise-candy. Stock unit does not sound as real as the KAB SL. Not that I care to hear hippies breathing, but it is a good indication on how well the tonearm tracks.

Open the Windows cuz Hippies and Shwag smells truly Aweful:
    I've never noticed this until I compared them side by side, but the Stock unit sounds a bit congested. KAB unit had more clarity and height in sound. Not sure what it means to have more height in music, but it does sound alot more open. KAB unit is more on Transparent side, while the Stock SL is Translucent. Some of you might think I'm just going thru that crazy talk, but it is what I hear.

Coming Down from the High:

Taylo is a pair of bookshelf speakers with 1" domes and 7" woofer so, again, I cannot comment on the lower freq. Plus those hippies never knew what it was like to Come-Down from being high.

Conclusion:
    I dont hate Hippies and KAB unit sounds better.
    If I had to upgrade one option at a time, then I would go in a following order:

1. *Fluid Damper: Defintely worth the money, and can't see myself listening to music without it.
    2. *Cardas Rewire: Ensures good signal transfer. May not be worth the cost. Mk5 comes with a stock OFC wire, so that should be good enough for most, if not all. I simply added this option to have more flexibility on sound/synergy/IC length.
    3. *PS-1200: offer steady supply of juice, if needed. It is said to reduce W&F spec, but I honestly cannot tell. Does SL-1200 need to be more stable than what it already is? Let your wallet decide.
    4. *Strobe Disabler: Absolute scam and useless for human beings. But I figured it would be a good bait for audiophiles when I decide to sell the unit on Agon.

Best Regards,
    JRA

Brandon,

Here is my review you've been bugging me about. Geez, can't a man work 80 hours a week in peace? I can't believe you took me away from work on this precious Saturday.

I havent added any gear for a while, so I feel like I know what I can expect out of my system.

Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference
    E.A.R. 834 Integrated amp
    VTL-2.5 Phono Pre (no Step-up-Transformer used)
    LP Gear Zupreme headshell
    Shelter 501mk2 (1.6g tracking and 1.8 anti-skate)

LP used: Grateful Dead, American Beauty
    I've listened to this album over 100 times, so I felt like this was a good choice. It is certainly not considered musically complex, but it does have loads of subtle layers with good channel separation.

Here is what I've found after comparing KAB modded SL1200mk2 and stock SL-1200mk2.

Spark it Up!:
    KAB SL has more clarity on higher freq on Piano and Mandalin. Stock SL sounded considerably strained. Even in my valve dominated system, Stock SL presented harsh edges. Fluid damper truly works the way it's advertised in my system. I wish I could tell you more on high freq response w/ low freq slam, but my speakers are limited to 7" in mid/bass.

On the Edge of Paranoia:
    This is one area I really listened for. I've try to listened to edges of music(end of notes and sequences). Each notes are well distinct and not dragged out or sound mushy by any sense. I can truly hear when Jerry's shaky/unsteady voice ends. The Stock unit on the other hand couldn't gather that small, yet vital, portion on black shiny disc.

Bong Hits are Bad for your Lungs:
    The track, Attic of my Life, really shows how much they smoked back in the late 60's.
    Not just one, but all vocal members are gasping for air on the beginning of each verse.
    That's probably why they moved on to sniffing that noise-candy. Stock unit does not sound as real as the KAB SL. Not that I care to hear hippies breathing, but it is a good indication on how well the tonearm tracks.

Open the Windows cuz Hippies and Shwag smells truly Aweful:
    I've never noticed this until I compared them side by side, but the Stock unit sounds a bit congested. KAB unit had more clarity and height in sound. Not sure what it means to have more height in music, but it does sound alot more open. KAB unit is more on Transparent side, while the Stock SL is Translucent. Some of you might think I'm just going thru that crazy talk, but it is what I hear.

Coming Down from the High:

Taylo is a pair of bookshelf speakers with 1" domes and 7" woofer so, again, I cannot comment on the lower freq. Plus those hippies never knew what it was like to Come-Down from being high.

Conclusion:
    I dont hate Hippies and KAB unit sounds better.
    If I had to upgrade one option at a time, then I would go in a following order:

1. *Fluid Damper: Defintely worth the money, and can't see myself listening to music without it.
    2. *Cardas Rewire: Ensures good signal transfer. May not be worth the cost. Mk5 comes with a stock OFC wire, so that should be good enough for most, if not all. I simply added this option to have more flexibility on sound/synergy/IC length.
    3. *PS-1200: offer steady supply of juice, if needed. It is said to reduce W&F spec, but I honestly cannot tell. Does SL-1200 need to be more stable than what it already is? Let your wallet decide.
    4. *Strobe Disabler: Absolute scam and useless for human beings. But I figured it would be a good bait for audiophiles when I decide to sell the unit on Agon.

Best Regards,
    JRA
    Thank you and great review!

I am looking into the damper but my 1210M5G arm is different and looks like I need to remove the kick adjuster...something only DJ's need it has no audiophile use what so ever.

I emailed Keven to ask him if it can be removed before I order one for my table.
    Already have the super mat on its way and I have been using the rubber record clamp that he sells for some time now.

Did your table come with a record clamp?

Glad you like the KAB table happy spinning.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Nah,

If I was going for a clamp, I would go for a vacuum clamp like the Reflex clamp by SOTA.
    I'll say a stock SL from KAB with Fluid Damper will perform 99% of my KAB modded unit. Fluid damper is a must. Also, thanks for your recommendations!

JRA

Aging Smartass
    I've posted before the fact that I don't share the enthusiasm several AR posters do for the Technics SL-1200, though I can understand (somewhat) why they feel as they do: the unit is exceptionally well made, rarely ever malfunctions, and will likely outlast its owner by decades.

That said, I still find it necessary to caution what appears to be a reliance on KABusa as a "legitimate" voice for the "superiority" of the 1200, and for what continues to be a blatant marketing scam in terms of "KAB Exclusive" Stanton cartridges.

Once again, KAB has taken a Stanton cartridge body and stuffed a Pickering stylus (a D-22E) into it, and chosen to call the end result a "KAB Audiophile Exclusive." That, I"m afraid, is out and out fraud. And, in case anyone reading this hasn't read any of my previous posts, the fact that I was Pickering's National Sales Manager in the late 70's, and Stanton's VP of Sales and Marketing throughout the 90's (prior to the company's sale) proves I know what I'm talking about.

I don't remember which cartridge the Pickering D-22E fits, but Pickering's top models (the XSV-3000, 4000 and 5000) didn't use it. Sticking that stylus into a Stanton 890 body doesn't make for an audiophile product any more than putting racing tires on a VW bug makes it a sports car. The retail price of the 890 (on The Needle Doctor's website) is $199.95. That includes two cartridges with different styli (one elliptical, and the other spherical). KAB's hodgepodge, with the aforementioned Pickering stylus sells for an outrageous $179.95.

Worse yet, is the insertion of this stylus, with the plastic handle removed, and the metal tube deliberately splayed apart and mangled, and stuffed into the company's cheapest plug-in DJ model (the Discmaster) and calling that also an "audiophile" product. Worst of all is that the Discmaster sells for $79.95, and the KAB-mangled version sells for the same ridiculous price as the 890 kluge - $179.95.

KAB continues to praise the SL-1200 as "havng no peer," a claim even Technics themselves never made. Selling dubious products such as the two "KAB Audiophile Exclusives" that I just described truly raises serious doubts about this retailer's sincerity and legitimacy.

I just thought it was important to point out these facts.

Nah,

If I was going for a clamp, I would go for a vacuum clamp like the Reflex clamp by SOTA.
    I'll say a stock SL from KAB with Fluid Damper will perform 99% of my KAB modded unit. Fluid damper is a must. Also, thanks for your recommendations!

JRA
    yeah there is not much to the KAB rubber clamp but it does make a difference especially with focus and better definition.
    Subtlety so.
    Kevin promptly emailed me back explaining how to remove the kick adjuster I removed it.
    It was a stubborn little biotch to break loose. but I got it removed.
    And so I have ordered the fluid damper today.

And your welcome hope to see you often.
    Last edited by BRANDONH; 10-19-2008 at 01:03 PM.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Talking Super 1/4" Mat

WHOA!
    I just tried it out and man what a difference.
    The combination with the Technics Super 1/4" and the KAB rubber record clamp is just amazing.
    The transformation has begun.
    I wanted to do things in steps so I can see if I could hear the difference yep there is the vocals are much more in focus and the sound stage is wider, deeper and now quieter.
    Its hard to believe the this table could get any quieter that it already was.
    Recommended for those 1200 owners very recommended!

http://www.kabusa.com/m1200.htm
    Next up the Fluid damper yeah baby
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Good going, Brandon.

I'm not sure how much quieter this TT can get, but more focused sound is always better. My KAB unit came with that hefty 1/4" mat.
    I'll say after the fluid damper, the only worthy upgrade would be the Isonode Feet or M6 Brass cones from Mapleshade and likes.

I'm back with Zupreme headshells. It produces more focused bass than Yamamoto's woody. I love it.

Have Fun,
    H.

Good going, Brandon.

I'm not sure how much quieter this TT can get, but more focused sound is always better. My KAB unit came with that hefty 1/4" mat.
    I'll say after the fluid damper, the only worthy upgrade would be the Isonode Feet or M6 Brass cones from Mapleshade and likes.

I'm back with Zupreme headshells. It produces more focused bass than Yamamoto's woody. I love it.

Have Fun,
    H.
    That Zupreme is a real upgrade for the Technics I now have 2.
    I thought the KAB would come with the thick mat it really made an immediate difference especially in the vocal section so that was 20.00 bucks well spent.

Did you get extra oil for the bearing?

I ordered another tube of oil with the mat and noticed they are putting about half as much as the previous bottle but it goes a long way.
    I add a few drops at least once a month sometimes twice but I play the heck out of this table everyday I play at least one record and on the weekends pretty much all day.

Yeah do have my eve on the footers that KAB sells just doing just one tweak at a time to see iv there is a discernible difference.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Talking KAB Fluid Damper

Good going, Brandon.

Have Fun,
    H.
    Another major upgrade!
    Score!!!!
    Thank you for recommending the KAB Fluid Damper what a difference.
    The bass if much better and well its the whole sound stage is like high definition but to the ears. The details are so much better I can hardly believe its the same table.
    worthy upgrade indeed.
    I am in High Fidelity heaven
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information