• 02-03-2013, 11:00 PM
    02audionoob
    Tumbleweeds are rolling by my new turntable
    This room became a ghost town, complete with tumbleweeds rolling down Main Street, so I thought I'd post a picture of my new-to-me Rega P9. I needed something with a higher list price than my cartridge, so the analog planets would align.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2951765/100_5603.JPG
  • 02-03-2013, 11:24 PM
    JohnMichael
    Wow I am suffering from ttable envy. The ceramic platter is reported to be the most expensive part of the ttable. I do not even have many tweak ideas for the ttable. Well the Michell Technoweight which is a lowered counterweight can improve tracking. Other than that I got nothin'. Great table and is that a wood bodied Benz cartridge I see. :)
  • 02-04-2013, 04:27 PM
    02audionoob
    It is indeed a wood Benz. I'd like to experiment with a Rega cartridge on the P9, some day. Maybe when the Benz is off for a retip, which won't be soon. I like the idea of the Michell Technoweight. This turntable is wonderful. I haven't been picking it apart with critical listening...just enjoying the music.
  • 02-04-2013, 05:32 PM
    dean_martin
    Cool table! I wanted a P25. By the time I could get one, the new ones were long gone. I finally got a P5 last summer and picked up the tt-psu at the end of the year. My high output mc cart is a little long in the tooth. I'm thinking of maybe the dynavector 10x5. My current cart is an Ortofon mc3 turbo. Its output is a little higher than most high output MCs. I can't get my ajdustments on my Jolida jd9 just right. I think I need an MC with a little lower output but I'm afraid to go too low.

Anyhow, great pic!
  • 02-04-2013, 08:34 PM
    02audionoob
    I just sold my P5, today. I had a Dynavector 10X4 MKII on it for a little while. It's a great cartridge for a Rega. I moved it to my wife's Pro-Ject when I got the Benz. Before I packed up the P5, I gave it one more play with the Elys cartridge I sold along with it. It sounded great...made me want to keep it. It had to go, though. I'm on a mission to have no inactive audio gear. I'm getting close.
  • 02-16-2013, 10:42 AM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 02audionoob View Post
    This turntable is wonderful. I haven't been picking it apart with critical listening...just enjoying the music.

And that my friend is audio Valhalla... nice to see you have arrived. It's a tough path, especially when you are knowledgable in this hobby. It takes a certain level/combination of gear, along with the right mindset to step off of the merry go round.

I have been content for sometime now, but much like an alcoholic or junkie, it's easy to fall off the wagon. What starts out as a small tweak can snowball into a whole lot of doubt and uncertainty.

You have an incredible system noob, you deserve a break from the gear side. Spend your money on some great vinyl, and your time in front of those Proacs.

chubbs
  • 02-16-2013, 02:35 PM
    02audionoob
    Yes...the P9 put the brakes on the merry go round. It's the turntable I really wanted. I just wasn't comfortable with spending that kind of money. I think the fever over the RP8 may have had a hand in depressing the prices for the used P9. Now, I'll try again to leave the system alone.
  • 02-18-2013, 11:26 AM
    nobody
    I have always loved the look of those tables, especially the maple trim you went with. Have never heard them, so this is only an aesthetic comment. But yeah, looks great.
  • 03-15-2013, 02:28 PM
    frenchmon
    Yeah noob...that is a nice table. Congrats!