Question Test Pressing LP?

I have never owned a test pressing LP and I have one in mind.
    Thoughts about test pressings anyone?
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

You mean a lacquer?

If so, these are only a thin coating of vinyl like substance over a metal plate. They can only be played once or twice.

Test Pressings

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    If so, these are only a thin coating of vinyl like substance over a metal plate. They can only be played once or twice.
    I have purchased numerous test pressings from various suppliers, mainly Acoustic Sounds, and they are in fact regular vinyl recordings, however, most come in plain white jackets and the labels are coded. Sonically they are very good to excellent and can usually be gotten for low money. My favorite test is of Ravel's "Works for Orchestra" which is pressed on 180gm vinyl and is a wonderful pressing of a great recording.

Linn LP-12 (Origin Live Advanced PS w/DC Motor) Benz "ACE" medium output*TAD-150*Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monoblocs*Parasound CD-P 1000*NAD 4020A Tuner*Velodyne F-1000 Subwoofer*Toshiba SD-4700 DVD*Motorola DTP-5100 HD converter*Pioneer PDP-4300*Martin-Logan Clarity*Audioquest cables and interconnects* Panamax 5100 power conditioner

Quote Originally Posted by risabet
    I have purchased numerous test pressings from various suppliers, mainly Acoustic Sounds, and they are in fact regular vinyl recordings, however, most come in plain white jackets and the labels are coded. Sonically they are very good to excellent and can usually be gotten for low money. My favorite test is of Ravel's "Works for Orchestra" which is pressed on 180gm vinyl and is a wonderful pressing of a great recording.
    Thanks.
    I found it at Records by mail M- It is in a plain cover with the cue sheet just taped to it.
    So sonically it is good to excellent? Are they recorded at a higher Db?

Quote Originally Posted by BRANDONH
    Thanks.
    I found it at Records by mail M- It is in a plain cover with the cue sheet just taped to it.
    So sonically it is good to excellent? Are they recorded at a higher Db?
    Yes, sonically tests are pretty good. No, they are simply the first pressing from the masters. Typically companies use them to make sure the master lacquer is cut at a playable level and to check sonics.

Linn LP-12 (Origin Live Advanced PS w/DC Motor) Benz "ACE" medium output*TAD-150*Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monoblocs*Parasound CD-P 1000*NAD 4020A Tuner*Velodyne F-1000 Subwoofer*Toshiba SD-4700 DVD*Motorola DTP-5100 HD converter*Pioneer PDP-4300*Martin-Logan Clarity*Audioquest cables and interconnects* Panamax 5100 power conditioner

Thread Information