Test Disk Suggestions?

Printable View

• 04-21-2009, 06:58 AM
    daveobieone
    Test Disk Suggestions?
    Does anyone here have any suggestions for a good test disk (LP)?

(not a test pressing, as ebay seems to have those terms confused)

I'm looking for something with wow/flutter, separation, and frequency response tones. I really don't need something with music on it. I have loads of great sounding LP's already.

Any good advice?

Dave O.
  • 04-21-2009, 08:43 AM
    Auricauricle
    1 Attachment(s)
    In 1983, Elektra/Asylum produced the CD, The Digital Domain, a completely digital recording that introduced many folks to the format and helped establish CD's as a revolutionary medium. The disc includes recordings of many sounds, including jet airliners, racketball courts and streams as well as an odd collection of music played on synth, harpsicord and trombones. Following these samples, the disc includes a "Test Section" of speaker tests, with pink noise and sine wave samples, etc. You can still find a copy here and there, on the Web, etc.
  • 04-21-2009, 02:17 PM
    Reticuli
    I have the Hi Fi News LP
  • 04-22-2009, 07:10 AM
    daveobieone
    Thanks for the tip Reticuli! I'll look for that one.

My old test records leave a lot to be desired...and they are getting kinda noisy after all these years.

Just to clarify, I'm looking for an LP (as in vinyl), not a test CD...I have plenty of those...from Denon, and both of the test CD's from the NAB. (which are very good btw)

Dave O.
  • 04-22-2009, 06:06 PM
    Auricauricle
    1 Attachment(s)
    Oh, yeah. You said that. LP, not CD....Never mind!
  • 04-24-2009, 08:15 AM
    daveobieone
    Thanks for the feedback!

I've ordered one of the new HiFi News ones, as well as the new one from Analog Productions. I'll report back on how they compare.

Dave O.
  • 05-19-2009, 05:50 AM
    daveobieone
    Update...
    Just as an update, I got both of these Test Disks...

The recent Hi-Fi News one, and the Analog Productions one.

The Analog Productions "Ultimate Analog Test LP" is more useful to me becuase it has more tones I can use for measurements on it. Comes with a nice alignment tool as well.

Having a tone at +18db is interesting for tracking testing however on the Hi-Fi News disk.

I'm glad I have both, but the Analog Productions one will probably get more use.

Dave O.
  • 05-19-2009, 07:17 PM
    02audionoob
    Maybe like this one? Click to follow to larger version at Flickr.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3404/...1fe03c6310.jpg
  • 05-28-2009, 11:43 AM
    daveobieone
    Not quite...what I got was the new version.

How do you like the earlier one?

Dave O.