• 03-24-2008, 07:36 PM
    JohnMichael
    System sounds great what next
    Everything is sounding very good. I am pleased with all the changes and the benefits. One thing I realized is that I have never tried the phono preamp built into the Onkyo A9555. It is only for high output cartridges so I thought of removing the Benz MC Gold and reinstalling the Grado and trying the built in phono. The Cambridge Audio 640P sounds good but I thought it would not hurt to try the Onkyo. Any ideas or opinions?
  • 03-25-2008, 12:24 AM
    Bernd
    Good to hear...
    ....that your system sings.:thumbsup:
    Why not try a step-up transformer to run the Benz into the Onkyo? Should work well and will give you another option.

:9:
  • 03-25-2008, 02:12 AM
    basite
    or a whole new phonostage?

you could try a Graham Slee or so, they also make step ups, if you want to use the onkyo's phonostage, but a graham slee fanfare 3 should crush the onkyo's phonostage...

it's MC only though...

you could also try a Jolida JD9A...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
  • 03-31-2008, 12:26 PM
    O'Shag
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Everything is sounding very good. I am pleased with all the changes and the benefits. One thing I realized is that I have never tried the phono preamp built into the Onkyo A9555. It is only for high output cartridges so I thought of removing the Benz MC Gold and reinstalling the Grado and trying the built in phono. The Cambridge Audio 640P sounds good but I thought it would not hurt to try the Onkyo. Any ideas or opinions?

JohnMichael, I don't think the Onkyo phonostage will compare. I tried the phonostage on my Yamaha RX-Z9 (their flagship til the Z-11), and it was mediocre at best. If you don't have to go to any expense to try it thats ok. But otherwise I don't think it would be worthwhile. Companies like Onkyo just put the phonostage on their receivers as a matter of convenience, or to say that they have the function included. As your an audiophile, I don't think it will suffice.
  • 03-31-2008, 02:20 PM
    Spancticles
    listen to music
  • 03-31-2008, 07:11 PM
    O'Shag
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Spancticles
    listen to music

:confused: