Thread: Shure V15-III

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Shure V15-III

Hi guys, am about to set up a TT rig and got a good deal on one of these carts lightly used. Anyone have time with one? Any thoughts on it's performance?
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Hi guys, am about to set up a TT rig and got a good deal on one of these carts lightly used. Anyone have time with one? Any thoughts on it's performance?
    The V/15 Type III was a decent cartridge in its day (mid 70's), that was easily eclipsed by a number of other, later models, such as the Pickering XSV/3000, Stanton 881-S, and the Shure Type "IV" and "V" variants. You won't go wrong buying it if it's in good shape, and the price is right, but there are better choices.

Forum Regular
    I have a Shure V-15 III, bought it new in the early '70s to replace a Type II, as well as a Stanton 881S, and a Shure V-15 V-MR among others. The III is a great sounding cartridge, excellent high frequency tracking and detail. It has a .2 X .7 mil elliptical stylus and tracks the most demanding records I have at 1 gram. It sounds more neutral maybe warmer in the mid to low bass, is a bit less pronounced in the highs than the 881S, (or, does the 881S sound a bit brighter?) Anyway the III is a fine cartridge, and if you have found one for a reasonable price (which apparently you did), and the stylus and cantilever are in good gondition considering it's 35+ years old, mount it up and go for it!

Hi Ed,

Thanks, I'm really looking to set up a "nostalgic" TT set up, not a state-of-the-art rig. Eventually it's going to be mounted to my trusty 70's vintage AR XA TT,( as soon as the rebuild is done.) For now it will have to manage in an old Marantz 6170. Not my first choice of TT but it's the only one I have around here that still works.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Forum Regular
    Years ago a friend had an AR-XA turntable and was trying to use a Shure Type II, and had issues with the toneam not doing well at 1 to 1.25 grams. Seemed to have too much horizontal drag for such a light VTF and also did not have any sort of anti-skating as I recall. He had much better results with a cartridge that tracked with 2 grams or so VTF with the AR.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I guess I can always sell the V15-III and get what, something like a Stanton 681?
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Thanks for the heads up on that. I guess I can always sell the V15-III and get what, something like a Stanton 681?
    The 681 tracks light too, .75 to 1.5 grams and with the brush you'd add another gram to that, which would help overcome the drag or friction in the arm bearing. But I think you ought to try the Shure first to see if it will work in the AR.

Aging Smartass
    I had an AR-XA turntable back in the 60's, and used a Shure V/15 Type II in it with no problems whatsoever. I did find that adding the additional weight necessary to offset the brush on either Pickering or Stanton cartridges a bit of a problem at times, since the counterweight on the turntable (at least the one I owned) wasn't quite heavy enough. I'm sure that this was corrected with newer models.

I liked the Type III a good deal more than the Tye II, but found both a bit lackluster compared to either the Pickering XSV-3000, or Stanton 881-S, which are essentially the same thing. And, yes, I did work for both Pickering in the 70's and Stanton in the 90's, but I'm being as impartial as I possibly can here: I'm simply posting what I believe and prefer, as I have no ties any longer to those companies. Moreover, the 881-S stomps the crap out of the 681!

Thread Information