Audio Enthusiast

Alternatives to rubber band on belt driven turntables?

I've read a few discussion threads on the use of alternative materials as use for belt driven turntables.

I've also seen several high end decks using string to turn the platters.

one thread suggested polyester string used in textile manufacturing.

Another suggested using Daycron 30lb braided fishing line.

Both threads suggested a reduction in background noise and improvement in speed consistency. Another benefit was no marks left by the traditional rubber belts which I find on my motor spindle and subplatter.

Anyone try using alternatives to the rubber belts?
    How do you tie them off so there isn't a knot rotating around your platter?

Quote Originally Posted by squeegy200
    I've read a few discussion threads on the use of alternative materials as use for belt driven turntables.

Both threads suggested a reduction in background noise and improvement in speed consistency. Another benefit was no marks left by the traditional rubber belts which I find on my motor spindle and subplatter.

Be kinda cool to have a magnetically driven platter (like a maglev train), electromagnetic isolation would be a biatch tho. Maybe someone does make this?
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Be kinda cool to have a magnetically driven platter (like a maglev train), electromagnetic isolation would be a biatch tho. Maybe someone does make this?

Fisher in one of their later incarnations had a magenticly driven table. There was a head inside the outer rim of the platter and if memory serves magnets around the inside of the outer rim of the platter. Other than the platter sitting on the bearing there was no physical contact for drive.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Fisher in one of their later incarnations had a magenticly driven table. There was a head inside the outer rim of the platter and if memory serves magnets around the inside of the outer rim of the platter. Other than the platter sitting on the bearing there was no physical contact for drive.

I wonder how they got around the electromagnetic isolation. Seems to me that when the cartridge is close to the outer edge it would be very close to the mags. Wouldn't the magnetic induction create a ??Hz (depending on the number of poles) alternating magnetic field resulting in hum?

Have you heard one personally? I'm gunna have to research this a bit. Thanks for the response John.

Quote Originally Posted by squeegy200

From the good folks at Mapleshade

On any TT where belt tension is adjustable, replacing the rubber belt with the thinnest possible dental floss—or, even better, silk thread—is a HUGE upgrade. Use a square knot to make the thread belt. To achieve best-sounding belt tension (whether rubber or thread), always loosen belt tension until your stroboscope disc just begins to show speed slippage, then tighten a smidge. This makes a big diufference.

My Rega does not have the ability to tension the belt so I have not tried it.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I wonder how they got around the electromagnetic isolation. Seems to me that when the cartridge is close to the outer edge it would be very close to the mags. Wouldn't the magnetic induction create a ??Hz (depending on the number of poles) alternating magnetic field resulting in hum?

Have you heard one personally? I'm gunna have to research this a bit. Thanks for the response John.

Yes a friend had one he used with his Kenwood integrated into Bose 901's. It has been too long to remember the quality.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I've heard two different flavors: Tim de Paravinci's EAR turntable and the fabulous Clearaudio Statement I talked about here. . Trust me, it has the isolation thing addressed.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    I've heard two different flavors: Tim de Paravinci's EAR turntable and the fabulous Clearaudio Statement I talked about here. . Trust me, it has the isolation thing addressed.

rw
    Ya, I remember that thread. Musta forgotten 'bout the drive system. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat

rw

I would love to hear a turntable with a magnetically suspended platter. One day maybe. I think I will call the guy who had the magnetic driven Fisher to see if he still has it. I could mount a cartridge and try it in my system. Sadly the tonearm may not be as interesting as the drive.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Audio Enthusiast
    From the good folks at Mapleshade

On any TT where belt tension is adjustable, replacing the rubber belt with the thinnest possible dental floss—or, even better, silk thread—is a HUGE upgrade. Use a square knot to make the thread belt. To achieve best-sounding belt tension (whether rubber or thread), always loosen belt tension until your stroboscope disc just begins to show speed slippage, then tighten a smidge. This makes a big diufference.

My Rega does not have the ability to tension the belt so I have not tried it.

hmmmm, Dental Floss, never would have thought of that.
    One can see the advantages of a detached motor as belt tension could be as simple as moving the position of the motor.

This sounds similar to the old Pinooer DD I recently retired. It has a brushless Hall element motor. The only contact points for the spindle/platter assembly are the main bottom bearing (a ball just like new belt drives) and the sleeve exiting the motor housing. Much less contact/vibration than a belt drive it would seem. And at ~0.5 cycles per second (33.3 rpm), definitely inaudible.
    Amp Shanling A3000-> speakers Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grand CD Rotel RCD 991 AE TT: Well Tempered Record Player-> AT OC9MLII -> Jolida JD9. cables from AQ, Siltech, Bogdan, Signal DH Labs, etc...
    Some pictures of it all

Thread Information