Forum Regular

Replace Kenwood cartridge?

I have an old KD-291R turntable I'd like to start using more.

The cartridge has four posts coming out the back with four wires soldered to them, at least it looks that way.

This does not seem to match some diagrams I saw at LP Gear, which shows the four posts either plugging into the tonearm ("P mount") or four wires attached to the four plugs ("half inch" -- attach with clips perhaps?)

However they show the P mount as using a screw and nut horizontally through the cartridge, and the half inch attached with two screws vertically up into the headshell. My cartridge attaches with one screw down through the top of the headshell into a threaded hole in the top of the cartrdige.

Can my cartridge be replaced?

Also, I have this now running through a Sony STR-DA4ES into the phono inputs. But volume has to be turned way up to hear well compared with other inputs. What might be up with that?

I'm considering putting the turntable back onto the original Kenwood receiver it came with for now.

Aging Smartass
    If you have a removeable headshell, then, yes, you can replace your cartridge. Usually, it's fairly obvious whether or not this can be done: there's a fairly large, round, knurled "knob" at the end of the headshell, where it attaches to the tubular section of the tonearm, and simply turning it either releases, or fastens the headshell. From your description, if you can remove your headshell, you'll need to purchase both a new cartridge and a new headshell.

As to why you get so little volume, I can't be sure. There are moving magnet (MM) cartridges, and moving coil (MC) models. Audiophiles generally prefer the MC type, and it requires an additional step-up transformer, or "pre" pre-amp to provide a sufficiently high level signal to work in the phono input of most receivers. I don't know of any Kenwood MC cartridges, much less one with a screw through the top of it to fasten it to the tonearm.

Not the most conclusive info you may have wanted, but I hope it was useful.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc
    I have an old KD-291R turntable I'd like to start using more.

The cartridge has four posts coming out the back with four wires soldered to them, at least it looks that way.

This does not seem to match some diagrams I saw at LP Gear, which shows the four posts either plugging into the tonearm ("P mount") or four wires attached to the four plugs ("half inch" -- attach with clips perhaps?)

However they show the P mount as using a screw and nut horizontally through the cartridge, and the half inch attached with two screws vertically up into the headshell. My cartridge attaches with one screw down through the top of the headshell into a threaded hole in the top of the cartrdige.

Can my cartridge be replaced?

Also, I have this now running through a Sony STR-DA4ES into the phono inputs. But volume has to be turned way up to hear well compared with other inputs. What might be up with that?

I'm considering putting the turntable back onto the original Kenwood receiver it came with for now.

If you could take a digital photo and download it so we could see the table and a closeup of the cartridge that might help. Also if the cartridge is old and the magnets have lost strength the output could be less then it originally was. Of course if it works in the Kenwood without problem it is not the cartrdges output.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    Ok, here are some pix, thanks:

Aging Smartass
    Once again, this probably isn't what you want to hear, but my suggestion is to scrap that turntable and buy a new one. It's very much a "bottom-of-the-line" model from Kenwood, and, frankly, isn't worth the effort to replace the cartridge. There are numerous, far superior turntables on eBay and other such sites available for the price of a new, quality cartridge which your current table wouldn't accept anyway. Good luck!

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I did do a google search for that turntable and I did not find much info other than many places were selling replacement needles for the cartridge. It does not look possible to change that cartridge other than replacing it with the same type. It is odd that it is soldered because the internal wires in the cartridge could be damaged by heat. Did you buy the table new? I have to agree that it might be time for another turntable if it is within your budget.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Thread Information