Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr Peabody

Thread: ClearAudio Concept

Suspended

ClearAudio Concept

Or, should I have called this "OOops I Did It Again"? I auditioned a Clear Audio Concept in my own system today. I used my Dynavector 10x5. The audition went very well, much different sound than Rega. The Concept had amazing detail, transparency and low noise, which approached more toward a digital presentation, I mean that in a good way, it was analog to be sure yet as quiet and transparent as a good disc player. This can sometimes cause Clear Audio to be misunderstood, including myself, but when hearing it in my system with LP's I was familiar with it became apparent what happens. The sound is a bit foreign at first with all the noise you didn't realize had been there is stripped away, then detail in the music begins to show that you never heard there before. The rig is also honest, not adding any coloration as each LP sounded different as it should based on the different production. When you feel the Concept you can just tell it's a quality built table. The guy that brought the Concept over commented it was the best he had heard the 10x5 sound. He feels the Ortofon MM carts track better on the Concept than the Clear Audio cart. I could have been satisfied with the Concept but made the leap to order the Performance DC. I'll use the 10x5 for a while and think about upgrading down the road.

Frenchmon came over for the audition and brought a 45 rpm pressing of Ella, this album was stunning on the Concept. It's difficult to convey the Clear Audio sound, it doesn't thrust itself at you or over emphasize what's in the grooves but if it's in the grooves you will hear PRAT and more detail than you've probably heard from the album before. If some one was looking for a turntable in the Concept price range one should do themselves a favor and check it out. I probably won't have the Performance here and running until end of month or after but I will post a thread to say how it went and how much difference there is. The Performance is twice the money but the guy was honest and told me there isn't going to be twice the improvement in sound quality.

I am not keen on the wall wart type power supply but was told Clear Audio uses a DC motor which makes the wart necessary. I do like built in speed controls.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I would love to hear a Clearaudio table. I like the idea of their magnetic bearings which as you noticed reduce table generated noises. I know the Concept arm also has magnetic bearings but I am not very knowledgeable on Clearaudio's designs. One thing I have learned is less noise = more music.

I am sure it is quieter than an unmodded Rega. As I tweaked my table with 24V motor and TTPSU along with a ceramic bearing and Michael Lim's top and bottom braces the noise floor dropped. I thought about the VPI Traveler but my next table will be the Concept. As much for style and design and now from what you have shared I am more sure I would like it.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Suspended
    It should be mentioned that the magnetic arms are susceptible to vibrations that could cause skipping, only an issue if wood or flexible floor, or maybe placed in open air close to a speaker. CA offers non-magnetic arms but they cost more.

Yes Sir...that table was all that and more! Peabody, I read the Billy Cobham album credits and its recorded from digital master tabes rather than analog. Lots of albums are still doing that today. But the Ella and Marshal Tucker Band where recorded from true analog master tapes.

JM.....From what the dealer was saying, the Concept has ceramic bearings unless I was mistaking...Peabody did you hear that as well? I thought he said it a few times.

I must say...when its time to upgrade my table, the Clearaudio Performance is on my short list.

I think the MMF-7.1 and the Concept would be a side ways move. I believe the Concept may be of a more neutral presentation with a little more dynamic in the lower register, while the MMF-7.1 would have a more lively presentation with a crisper top end....both tables are great but the Concept with the styling of the silver band on the plinth is what you would call....sexy!

I would love to hear a Ortofon 2M Black on that table.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

I have heard this TT with the ClearAudio Nano Phono preamp that they sell in combo. Its a very good combination. Mr P, did you use your Creek PP or the Nano?

This TT has been on my radar for a couple of years along with the MH 7.1se
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    I use the AcousTech PH-1 Premier phono stage. I haven't had it in my system but really like the Musical Surroundings Super Nova 2, a real performer at $1200.00. The guy who I'm buying my turntable from carries Lejonklou which is dedicated and specially designed for MM carts, According to Michael Fremer their Kinki 3 was the best MM stage he has heard. The Kinki 3 is now discontinued and replaced by Giano, I think that's the spelling but it's on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post

JM.....From what the dealer was saying, the Concept has ceramic bearings unless I was mistaking...Peabody did you hear that as well? I thought he said it a few times.

Clearaudio used to promote their CMB ceramic magnetic bearings. Opposing magnets would keep some air space between the table and platter.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    You have to go to the Performance DC to get ceramic baring, however, the Concept is still quite a performer for the money. A quick internet search will turn up a good supply of reviews from Stereophile, TAS, Toneaudio etc.

The revolutionary Concept features a brand new tonearm as well as levels of design and construction sophistication unheard of at this price.
    What Hi-Fi? Product of the Year for 2009.
    Includes the new Verify tonearm and has the following useful features:

****-Aluminum radiused high mass plinth with compact footprint
    ****-2 piece Delrin 30mm thick platter
    ****-Polished tempered steel bearing shaft within sintered bronze bushings
    ****-Mirror polished Teflon thrust pad
    ****-Belt-driven by a decoupled DC motor incorporating an extremely low noise bearing
    ****-33, 45 and 78 rpm speed changing at a turn of a dial
    ****-Verify tonearm features a friction-free magnetic bearing, allowing factory mounting
    ****and alignment of the phono cartridge

Concept Turntable with Verify Tonearm- Retail Price: $1400.00

The Performance DC shares sophisticated technology with Clearaudio's award-winning Ovation and Concept turntables, placing it in the middle of this series
    of three turntables featuring outstanding sound, unmatched value and ease of use. The Performance DC's main composite chassis consists of a specific density
    wood core sandwiched between two massive anodized aluminum plates. A band of polished silver aluminum is wrapped around the plinth's core, giving the Performance
    DC an elegant and modern look. The powerful and smooth-running DC motor is mounted to the composite main chassis and is effectively decoupled for enhanced
    dynamic range. The motor and belt are hidden from view, protected from dust and UV. They drive a precision machined aluminum sub-platter coupled to a 40mm
    thick POM platter, supported by Clearaudio's patented CMB (Ceramic Magnetic Bearing). The Performance DC's 33, 45, and 78 rpm speeds are selected by blue
    illuminated buttons, ergonomically integrated into the front left of the chassis. Precision adjustability is possible for each speed via user-accessible
    trim pots. The Performance DC comes standard fitted with Clearaudio's magnetic bearing Verify Carbon Fiber tonearm and its interchangeable armboard design
    can accommodate a variety of 9 inch tonearms including Clearaudio's Clarify, Magnify and Universal tonearms.

Sadly a few years ago the CMB was either part of the table or an upgrade option.

http://www.a.musicalsurroundings.com..._8S_E_AK10.pdf
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Any news on the new table?
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    Wow, I wrote a long reply but when I hit "post" my browser timed me out and my post isn't here, where's the crying icon. I did get the Performance DC in and set up Saturday.

I didn't realize a new table would need some run in though the cart was already broke in so my first impression was maybe I should have saved $1500.00 and just got a Concept. However after spinning LP's every spare moment this weekend the differences began to show. The Performance has a larger sound stage with much better sense of depth, really good. The bass response is incredible, not only is it strong but very detailed. This showcased nicely on the Police, Synchronicity, the detail from Sting's playing astounded me, the bending of strings, varying sustain, textures and tones. The background is very black, the Concept was transparent but I didn't get the sense of black like on the Performance. Distortion and noise floor is so low fine detail is easy to here. I found myself captivated by the Performance's performance, I mentioned the bass but it doesn't dominate, I found the presentation balanced and very easy to listen to.

I have a decent disc spinner but hearing the Performance has taken me from a neutral position in the analog vs digital debate to leaning analog. The analog rig has to have cart and phono stage included but for the money I can't see any disc player sounding this good. Also goes to show the importance of listening in our own system, I went from Clearaudio not really being on my list to a total fanboy.
    JohnMichael likes this.

Suspended
    Oh, one other note of interest, the Performance has two ground wires, one from the arm and the other somewhere by the baring, maybe the housing?

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    To have two great sources like that is most of our dreams. Are you using the cables that came with the Performance? What vinyl did you spin first? I always am interested when I read a review in Stereophile or Absolute Sound as to what LP or CD's the reviewer uses. I find that if the reviewer has similar tastes in music, we have similar taste in gear.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Suspended
    I have a Billy Cobham album I played first, also played it with the Concept, it has percussion and complex synth, I played a couple tracks from Buddy Miles, Marshall Tucker Band, some off Greatest Hits and a couple from Running Like The Wind, Scott Hamilton, Gladys Knight, album sides of different LP's of Jean Luc Ponty, and I remember I ended with Rush Hemispheres, I think that covered Saturday. Sunday I got out and soaked up some sunshine but later spun Police Synchronicity, a couple tracks off another Police LP and then a Jan Hammer LP. Aw, tonight is to get some exercise and think when I can do more listening .

Suspended
    The Performance has the connected cables, so I'm using whatever is stock.

The dealer set the table up for me. He said it was the best he'd heard the 10x sound. It also made me proud when he told me my system was one of the best balanced he had heard, saying other systems may be better than mine in one area or the other but overall mine was better balanced.

It's nice to get that kind of compliment from someone in the industry. You do your homework and get the gear and you like the way it sounds. Then someone tells you what a great job you've done and it's all worth it.

I had friends stop by yesterday to see our remodeled bathroom and I was in my audio room listening to Schubert 4th symphony and they stuck their heads in the door to say high, but before they could say anything, they heard the music and come in and sat down and listened. These are not audiophile people by any stretch of the imagination, but the music caught their ears and they liked what they heard. These are also some of the times that I really enjoy also, taking someone who has a meager system and showing them what they could be listening to.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Suspended
    Jack, what do you normally listen to? I have some Classical on CD, I haven't wanted to listen to it on LP due to noise but I may try again with the Performance. I listen to a wide variety so I can usually find common ground with most folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Jack, what do you normally listen to? I have some Classical on CD, I haven't wanted to listen to it on LP due to noise but I may try again with the Performance. I listen to a wide variety so I can usually find common ground with most folks.
    It really depends on what I'm in the mood for. Maybe some classical in the morning. I've just been listening to a new CD I received of Schubert 3rd and 4th symphony. Before that I got into a Sandy Denny kick from something I heard on XM radio about her life. I listened to Liege and Lief from Fairport Convention on vinyl and Fotheringay on CD while I read some of her biography online. I do like some jazz in the late afternoon. I like to hook up my laptop to my DAC and find a nice jazz station to listen to. How about you? I like some of your selections that you pulled out to play on the new turntable.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Suspended
    You picked up on the Clearaudio sound right away, enjoy. Which cart did you go with?

AR Newbie Registered Member
    The background is very black, the Concept was transparent but I didn't get the sense of black like on the Performance. Distortion and noise floor is so low fine detail is easy to here. I found myself captivated by the Performance's performance, I mentioned the bass but it doesn't dominate, I found the presentation balanced and very easy to listen to.
    Hi, what carts did you have on both tables? Could it be that most differences in the sound quality were actually from the carts, not from the tables (e.g. "Distortion")? Also, is the noise floor on the Concept not low enough to hear fine details? Finally, the base performance depends on the tonearm adjustment and the factory setup for the Concept is not ideal. Could it be that the difference in the base was because of this and could be corrected on the Concept by slightly lowering the tonearm?Thanks!

Suspended
    I began with a Rega P3 using the Dynavector 10x5. The best audition of tables possible, I used the 10x on each table in the same system, so any differences reported had to be the tables and any slight difference in set up. We should expect better performance from the Performance at twice the price of the Concept. The Concept noise floor is very low, in fact, the Concept is an outstanding table at it's price in my opinion.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    We should expect better performance from the Performance at twice the price of the Concept.
    I am new to this, so please bare with me My question is this. If the Concept is so good and the Performance is slightly better (it took you a couple days to notice a difference) by being completely "black" and otherwise great, then what is a benefit of even higher end tables like the Ovation and above?

I can see that the Concept is missing the carbon fiber tonearm, ceramic-magnetic bearing, and a better motor. All of these are there in the Emotion that, if imported, might be around $2,000 and thus an even better value than the Concept. But for whatever reason the Emotion is not imported and it is a shame, because the Performance is $1,000 more and I am not sure what value it actually brings on top of the Emotion.

Suspended
    The Performance does have better sound than the Concept, images are more realistic and solid, the bass is better, the background is blacker due to lower noise floor. I was really impressed by what the Concept provieds at it's price point.

The higher end Clearaudio are incredible, I forget the names but their table at $5500.00 USD made the performer sound like right in the room.

As in any audio gear line up, no matter the component the gain in performance rarely matches the increase in price. Some lines have what is called a "sweet spot" where you find your best bang for buck, above that is beginning diminishing returns, but that depends on the passion of the listener and finances.

Thread Information