Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Rega Planar 2 has new shoes!

I am sitting in amazement at the current sound of my Rega turntable. I just received a set of RDC cones that are amazing. Ths soundstage is wider, deeper and more open. Bass is tighter and more powerful. I had noticed some improvements with the Mod Squad Tiptoes but the overall sound began to sound hard and bright. I went back to the Rega stock feet and never tried any other support. I have to say I had no idea cones could make this much difference. I do not know how to describe this but there is less mechanical noise and more music. The sound is cleaner.

Since my last tweak nothing has changed but the feet. In order of improvement I would list the mods in this order;

1. RDC cones
    2. Michell Techno Weight
    3. Deep Groove Subplatter
    4. Incognito tonearm rewire
    5. Ringmat record mat

When I started modifying my Rega I had no idea it could be this good. I could not be happier. Thanks
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Congrats JM ..anything else in the future for upgrades.... sounds like you've just about swapped out everything but the tone arm.

With all the talk on TTs I'm thinking of going back to analogue also. I kept a 100 or so discs from back in the day, including a Telarc calibration album.

Peace
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Nice!!!

That's one laid out Rega!!!

I still want to try an Ortofon OM 20 Super. Sounds like something I'd go for... Still enjoying the Denon 103.

If any money starts burning a hole in your pocket again... Might I suggest a phono stage upgrade? Replacing my Rotel and NAD with a Jolida JD-9 was a HUGE step up. Far richer, smoother and far more dynamic. Seriously... you would LOVE the difference and consider it money well spent. If you don't need moving coil capability, there are other possibly even more terrific options in that price-range (around $400.00).

Good going, JM.
    I wanna come out there and enjoy your music sometime. Sounds like your Planar2 is no longer an entry level deck. I'll bring some toys for sure. A new phono pre may just allow you to crap your pants without the brown note..

Damn Roy, when did you get JD-9? From what I've read, sounds like a true bargain. You know what you need next? More money. LOL Enjoy.

I gotta make a little shout out to Analog as well. Got a Technics SL-220 from my friend's dad yesterday. Dont think I've ever seen one this clean. Some minor hairline scratches on the cover, and that's about it. Pre-mounted AT8008 sounded suprisingly good, but swapped it out after 2 albums. Good thing I never sold the nitrous powererd DL-110.

Enjoy folks,

JRA

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Good going, JM.
    I wanna come out there and enjoy your music sometime. Sounds like your Planar2 is no longer an entry level deck. I'll bring some toys for sure. A new phono pre may just allow you to crap your pants without the brown note..

Damn Roy, when did you get JD-9? From what I've read, sounds like a true bargain. You know what you need next? More money. LOL Enjoy.

I gotta make a little shout out to Analog as well. Got a Technics SL-220 from my friend's dad yesterday. Dont think I've ever seen one this clean. Some minor hairline scratches on the cover, and that's about it. Pre-mounted AT8008 sounded suprisingly good, but swapped it out after 2 albums. Good thing I never sold the nitrous powererd DL-110.

Enjoy folks,

JRA
    Holy Batfarts Batman...The Technics SL-220 was the last TT I had (plowed the grooves with a Grado cartidge)...was a great TT for me then....when was that 1986????

Anywho enjoy
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Enjoy folks,

JRA
    So sad to see a nice guy like you buying a direct drive table... LOL... Bet it sounds pretty good with the old nitrous powererd DL-110 in place? Congrats!!! Enjoy the new, old Technics!!!

Yeah... Got me a JD-9 and it is a big improvement over entry level. Mostly in "slam"and dynamics... finer adjustments for loading seem to help things... smooth top end... "Meatier" sounding than the Rotel or the NAD.

I tried to keep my mouth shut, knowing the last thing JM wanted to hear directly after some expensive upgrades was about more expensive upgrades... Couldn't do it though... Saw how nicely his turntable and the rest of his system is coming along. Having owned the Rotel and particularly after upgrading to the JD-9, I know he'd benefit from the upgrade.

but I JM's system is sounding pretty sweet right now.

this DD will allow me to take a nap here and there.

Lazy automatic turntable owners...

I still miss mine. I wish somebody would at least market an end of record tonearm lift made to fit the Technics. Bet they'd sell pretty well.

Hmm?.. What!! Ahh $hit, I fell asleep again, but it stopped spinning.... How dare you wake me up.

I'm pretty sure Im gonna need a new belt. That thing is on there tight, and speed isnt as stable as it could be. Also, the platter feels a bit flimsy compared to my P-J deck, so I should get pounds of plasticlay. Think I'll stuff it in the bottom on the deck as well.

So what's next as far as the table is concerned? A new motor?

JRA

Good going......

.....JM.

When I had a Rega I also found that RDC cones made a very big improvement. It was just as you described. Less mechanical, more clarity and real solid images.
    It just shows how much can be coaxed out from TTs with a little care and attention.

Enjoy the spinning.

Peace

"Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Thanks guys. JRA you are welcome anytime. Of course after hearing the system we should head to Columbus to a couple of great audio stores. One is in the campus area and you will see lots of thin girls driving a Prius. Just do not follow my glances.

Royphil good suggestion on a new phono preamp. All the new mods and improved sound justifies a step up in that area. I think the thing I like most about the OM 20 is when the stylus is replaced the assembly contains the new cantilever and stylus, magnet and fresh suspension.

Bernd it is amazing the difference. On a familiar recording I am listening to I just heard a drum roll reproduced properly instead of the blur it used to be. WOW! I can count the number of background singers. Oh how sweet it is!
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

We'd have some fun, JM. I'll bring my phono pre and some of my favorite records. Not to offend you or anything but I will bring in my cartridge alignemnt tool just to be sure. LOL.

I'll be your wing man one night, as long as I'll be driving a Prius to a home one morning.

Enjoy

Hmm?.. What!! Ahh $hit, I fell asleep again, but it stopped spinning.... How dare you wake me up.

I'm pretty sure Im gonna need a new belt. That thing is on there tight, and speed isnt as stable as it could be. Also, the platter feels a bit flimsy compared to my P-J deck, so I should get pounds of plasticlay. Think I'll stuff it in the bottom on the deck as well.

So what's next as far as the table is concerned? A new motor?

JRA

And I thought you actually owned a direct-drive... I shouldn't have accused you of something like that without knowing for sure... LOL. Sorry!!!

Belts can slip and cause variations in speed without it being very obvious. Generally, If you can look through an opening in the platter and see the motor pulley turning when you turn the platter a bit by hand... the belt's tight enough. If the belt slides over the motor pulley without turning it, might be time for a new belt.

Biggest problem I've found with the more inexpensive DC servo belt-drives is that they tend to be load sensitive... to the point where the speed will actually be a little slower at the beginning of a record than at the end, due to added drag from the stylus on the outer part of the record. I've never seen one keep a completely even speed when viewing the strobe. One of the reasons I chose direct-drive in the lower price-range. Adding some mass to the platter might help... Might actually make things worse. The rubber-band drive belts in lower-priced belt drives really aren't designed for use with heavier platters. Most higher-end belt drives with heavier platters use stiffer belts.

Audio Enthusiast

VTA for your Tonearm?

Question for you JM,

Do you use the VTA adjustment mod for your tonearm? I was curious if you did and your impressions. Is it necessary to have one with the RB tonearms?

Quote Originally Posted by squeegy200
    Question for you JM,

Do you use the VTA adjustment mod for your tonearm? I was curious if you did and your impressions. Is it necessary to have one with the RB tonearms?

Depending on cartridges I use the spacers supplied by Rega. My Grado, Sumiko Blue Point 2 and AT 440ML do not need the spacer. When using the taller OM 20 I use the 2mm spacer for proper tonearm height. Since I have records of different thickness I am happy with a ballpark average. I tend to be more sensitive to errors in overhang and offset angles than I am to overhang. Some members who use a conical stylus seem to not be bothered by problems with offset angles but find overhang more important. I know with the microline stylus of the AT 440ML if overhang and offset were not correct I would have some strange imaging problems with the soundstage.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Thread Information