AR Newbie Registered Member

Question Sony PS-8750 Direct Drive Turntable

I have a Sony PS-8750 turntable purchased from an Audio shop in 1974. It is in mint condition and has been relatively unpacked and unused since then. I have heard that direct drive turntables are no longer valued and that the one I have is therefore "garbage". I wonder why this is since I paid well over $1K for it at the time? Also, I wonder what value if any it now has. It's a great instrument and has a Shure Mark IV Cartridge with a diamond stylus. If anyone is familiar with this model I would appreciate input on these two questions. Thanks!

Dorian-13

I don't know anything about that particular model. I just did a search and found a picture though. Looks pretty nice. I don't know if there's some particular thing about that table that causes problems, or if the people you were talking to just don't like Sony or direct drive... (ALOT of that going around)

I use an old Sony PS-X5 myself. They sell for less than some of the other brands (good "sleeper" table), but are quality tables. I agree with the audiophiles that belt drive is capable of steadier speed and quieter operation. However, I can't agree that a lightly built belt drive "budget high end" table with a lightweight plinth, platter, small motor, thin, stretchy rubber belt and bearings of average quality is going to outperform some of these vintage direct drives. Some of these were built really well. Think you'd have to spend some $ on a table that runs at such a steady speed, has a nice, silky feel to the tonearm bearings, and is heavy enough to damp vibrations well these days. Direct drive was supposed to be an improvement. Engineers in the '70s weren't complete idiots. Think it was the TONS of really crummy direct-drive tables made in the later '70s and '80s that gave them a bad name. I must admit, there are only a few makes and models of direct-drive tables I'd bother with and many, many I wouldn't.

As far as value goes, don't get your hopes up. I chose a Sony because they go cheap. (generally less than $100.00) Sony only made a few nice models. Even some of the nicer ones have a plastic shell (although heavy and does seem to have some good damping qualities). By the '80s they were all pretty much lightweight, plastic crap. They are pretty much completely avoided by audiophiles. My advice would be to put it to use, listen to the great sound, and let people think what they want. You may be able to get closer to $200.00 for yours. Looks like a pretty heavy model... barely used and in the box.... maybe not though.

My old PS-X5 looks and performs brand new. Picked it up for a song... I think mostly because the guy selling it on eBay had a really bad digital camara. Was wondering myself if someone painted the tonearm purple!!! Nope, it's as shiny as can be.

People will still pay around $400.00 for a nice, wooden, vintage Marantz or Denon direct drive table. I would say at that price they're still a pretty strong value. Although, some of the "high tech" tonearrms on some of the Denons seem a bit suspect to me.
    Last edited by royphil345; 06-28-2005 at 07:54 AM.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorian-13
    I have a Sony PS-8750 turntable purchased from an Audio shop in 1974. It is in mint condition and has been relatively unpacked and unused since then. I have heard that direct drive turntables are no longer valued and that the one I have is therefore "garbage". I wonder why this is since I paid well over $1K for it at the time? Also, I wonder what value if any it now has. It's a great instrument and has a Shure Mark IV Cartridge with a diamond stylus. If anyone is familiar with this model I would appreciate input on these two questions. Thanks!

Dorian-13
    Yes that is a sweet looking turntable. Yes there are a lot of bias against direct drive but again if the system was executed well it should play records quite nicely. Shure has made some very nice cartridges and your local audio dealer should have a scope to check the wear of the stylus. Are you going to start using the table again? If you are you might want to try a new cartridge since the suspension of the old Shure might have stiffened up. The arm looks like it would be a medium to high mass arm and a nice moving coil cartridge should work nicely. It certainly looks like it should be put into use.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Sony PS8750

Hello Dorian,

That's a great turntable and very wanted nowadays.
    I also own a PS8750 and it's a real beauty, not only to look at but also to listen to.

You can read more about it on the www.theVintageknob.org where Axel -a real Sony enthousiast- can tell you more about it. About the value I can only say that over here in Europe the two (!) PS8750 sold in the past year did about 400 euro (approx 500 dollar), but they weren't in pristine condition.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sony PS-8750 Direct Drive Turntable-ps8750.jpg  

I apologize for way underestimating the value of this table. Like I said, not familiar with this model. All I was able to find on it was a really poor photo. Assumed it was all plastic because of the bad pic and didn't have the X Tal-Lock because I saw the pitch controls. Turns out the X Tal-Lock can be turned off on this model. Wasn't aware that Sony made such a nice table and I'm sort of a fan.

Looks like a REALLY sweet tonearm (the one on my PS-X5 is surprisingly nice as well, although not as...), chassis looks very sturdy, know I like the Sony X Tal Quartz Lock System. I would choose this table over a Denon or Marantz. If I saw one for sale, I'd probably be willing to pay close to $500.00 for it. Still, many people do have a bias against anything direct-drive or Sony which I would say is probably unfair in this case.

Thanks for the nice pics and the link leon!!!... another thing I'd like to own...

Although it performs surprisingly well, the PS-X5 has to be about the ugliest table Sony ever made. Thinking of picking up at least an X-60 or X-70. A little newer and boxier than the PS-X5 though. Worried that it might not damp vibrations as well.
    Last edited by royphil345; 08-05-2005 at 04:29 AM.

Sony Ps Lx285

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Yes that is a sweet looking turntable. Yes there are a lot of bias against direct drive but again if the system was executed well it should play records quite nicely. Shure has made some very nice cartridges and your local audio dealer should have a scope to check the wear of the stylus. Are you going to start using the table again? If you are you might want to try a new cartridge since the suspension of the old Shure might have stiffened up. The arm looks like it would be a medium to high mass arm and a nice moving coil cartridge should work nicely. It certainly looks like it should be put into use.
    jOHN,

SORRY FOR THE LATE REPLY, I HAD LOST CONTACT WITH THIS WEB SITE AND JUST RECOVERED IT. I LIKED YOUR INPUT ESPECIALLY REGARDING THE SHURE STYLUS. AFTER READING ALL OF THE COMMENTS I PROBABLY WILL KEEP IT SINCE I STILL HAVE SOME OLD 33RPMs THAT I HAVEN'T CONVERTED TO CD. THANKS AGAIN!

ART

Royfil,

Thanks For Your Input! Sorry For Late Reply.

Art

Ps 8750 Sony Turntable

Quote Originally Posted by leon schreurs
    Hello Dorian,

I also own a PS8750 and it's a real beauty, not only to look at but also to listen to.

You can read more about it on the www.theVintageknob.org where Axel -a real Sony enthousiast- can tell you more about it. About the value I can only say that over here in Europe the two (!) PS8750 sold in the past year did about 400 euro (approx 500 dollar), but they weren't in pristine condition.
    LEON,

APPRECIATE VERY MUCH YOUR REPLY AND PIC OF MY TURNTABLE. THINK I WILL NOW BEGIN TO USE IT AND ENJOY IT EVEN MORE NOW THAT I KNOW IT IS WANTED. IT IS A BEAUTIFUL INSTRUMENT ALMOST MUSEUM QUALITY. THANKS AGAIN! (SORRY FOR ANSWERING LATE).

ART

Quote Originally Posted by leon schreurs
    Hello Dorian,

That table looks good to me.
    Thanks for the link, great site!
    The info on thePS-8750
    was informative.
    Carbon-fiber tone arm, WOW advanced for the day, Sapphire bearing pivots etc..
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and found it while looking for a needle for my Sony PS-X5 TT. I bought it new around 1973-74 I think, and even though there seems to be a bias against direct drive turntables, I can tell you I've loved it all these years, although a couple of years ago I bought a new needle from some guy and it turned out to be a lousy one as the sound it delivers compared to the stock needle doesn't even come close...and now I'm trying to find a GOOD needle for it. I still have the stock cartridge, which I *think* is a Stanton. It has 681EEE painted on the side of it.

As I said, with the old needle, the sound was super (Believe me, I know, being a musician) but kids trashed the old needle.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for obtaining a good needle for the turntable? Also, as a matter of information, can I use other 4-prong cartridges besides Pickering? Any recommendations????

Thanks in advance...

Bob

What is your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    What is your budget?
    I guess I'd be williing to pay a fair price for good-excellent quality.

Well, you said fair price. That word is kinda funny and is a bit vague in this hobby. Let's assume you are looking at under $300. Have you checked out needledoctor?
    Try this link
    http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-S...get-Cartridges

What phono stage do you have? If your phono input accepts Moving Magnet(MM) then try to look for a cartrdige with higher than 2.0mV output. I'm using Denon DL-110 and an really happy with it. It's not "considered" audiophile, but I prefer it over Grado Silver.

Also, you shouldnt get too caught up with Load Resistance
    I dont know if you have an extra counter-weight for heavier or lighter cartridge. If you dont know and are desperate to swap your cart, then maybe you should look into carts between 5-7 grams.

If your budget is higher than $300 then maybe Sumiko Bluepoint Special3, Benz Micro Ace, Dynavector 10x5, or Grado Sonata.

It'll help to know your tonearm compliance too.

A fellow PS-X5 owner!!! Don't think I'll ever give mine up...

The Stanton 681 eee is a very nice cartridge. I think the stylus for the newest version (681 eee MkIII) will work in it. They have it at Garage-a-Records for $69.00. You could call or shoot them an e-mail to make sure it will work. Probably the most cost-efficient solution, especially since you like the cartridge anyway... http://www.garage-a-records.com/cart.html#stanton

You can use any standard 1/2" mount cartridge. I'm using a Shure M97xE which works excellent with the tonearm. Sometimes I wish it was just a bit more "open" sounding, but I like it over some other inexpensive cartridges I've tried (and gotten rid of). Have heard good things about the Ortofon OM 20 Super. From what I understand, it's a smooth, musical cartridge somewhat like the Shure, but a little more "open" sounding. I may have to try one.

The only cartridges I'd avoid with the older, higher mass tonearm are very high compliance cartridges... like maybe the Audio Technica AT440-ML or the Grado Silver or Gold... Arm will handle most cartridges with no problems at all... An extension / weight for the tonearm came with the PS-X5 for use with heavier cartridges. Haven't found one heavy enough to require it yet.
    Last edited by royphil345; 10-27-2006 at 03:28 AM.

sony PS-8750

Hey man.....take good care of your vintage PS-8750 turntable, wont find those around the corner anymore for peanuts.....real treasure....be proud of owner ship! Worth around 700 euro in good condition.

Sony 8750

Hi, Dorian-13,

I saw your thread and would like to congratulate you on owning an excellent bit of kit. Nothing wrong with vintage direct-drive, been after a 8750 myself for some time now. Please let me know if you want to sell it at all. I have the next deck down in the PS line-up, the 6750. Not quite matching yours but still a formidable turntable which nowadays you would have to spend a few grand to better it for sound and build quality.

I live in the UK and for some reason Sony only allowed the 4750 and below to be sold there. Don't know why especialy as the PS range had a 240 volt compatibility built-in. As you might say "Go figure!" Still my Sony is NOS which is a bonus though it is yet to arrive as the entire UK is grinding to a halt under the weight of 6 inches of snow and sub-zero temperatures. Ridiculous. But it happens every year we have a bad winter. The deck is coming from the US, though I asked the seller to hold it until after the xmas frenzy is over. Good luck and listening with your 8750, I would gladly take it off your hands should you feel like selling it. Regards,

Jardo

Thread Information