Thread: Records V Vinyl

Forum Regular

Talking Records V Vinyl

RECORDS V's COMPACT DISC
    Hi,

I love listening to CD's and Records like any other music lover. When CD's first came out they promised the world perfect sound forever. Well that is partly true if CD's are looked after and not seriously scratched they will definetly last you a lifetime, but the sound I think will never beat the sound of records or vinyl as some prefer to call it.

But with records the sound is just from a different planet, it has depth, a wider bandwith, warmth, larger soundstage I can go on and on . But again there are disadvantages of records they have to be treated with the utmost care and consideration. The only problem that all record lovers will know is, that the more you play them they begin to loose that fantastic sound quality when you had first bought it. Then there is the scratches, this can ruin the record for good and in the end make it unplayable.

If somebody can produce a record that never wears out or gets scratched then I think CD's will have some tough competition and will increase records sales whilst CD' will hopefully be on the decline. But I know this may never happen.

What do others think of the sound of Records compared to the silver shiny Compact Discs?

I would like to know your opinions.

P.S My title thread should have said " Records V's Compact Discs"

Yasvanth
    Last edited by Yasvanth; 02-23-2007 at 08:44 AM.

Terminology

Quote Originally Posted by Yasvanth
    RECORDS V's COMPACT DISC
    Hi,

I love listening to CD's and Records like any other music lover. When CD's first came out they promised the world perfect sound forever. Well that is partly true if CD's are looked after and not seriously scratched they will definetly last you a lifetime, but the sound I think will never beat the sound of records or vinyl as some prefer to call it.
    P.S My title thread should have said " Records V's Compact Discs"

Yasvanth
    I and a good many other people refer to vinyl discs as "vinyl" or "LPs". A "record" is ambiguous and should be avoided. A "recording" is the generic term that refers to something recorded on any medium: vinyl, CD, SACD, DVD-A, whathever.

If somebody can produce a record that never wears out or gets scratched then I think CD's will have some tough competition and will increase records sales whilst CD' will hopefully be on the decline. But I know this may never happen.

What do others think of the sound of Records compared to the silver shiny Compact Discs?
    Well vinyl does have a much better sound than CD's, their sales won't decline because of vinyl, the CD industry is currently losing sales due to MP3's and the ease of downloading. Vinyl lost out to cd's for a few, reasons, CD's are easier to use, ie. find tracks ect, and because of their size they are much more popular. but their is alternatives to get the vinyl quality. SACD's although hard to find they have the sound quality that is only dreapt of by CD's.
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

"...much better sound than CD's" Fact?

Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    Well vinyl does have a much better sound than CD's, their sales won't decline because of vinyl, the CD industry is currently losing sales due to MP3's and the ease of downloading. Vinyl lost out to cd's for a few, reasons, CD's are easier to use, ie. find tracks ect, and because of their size they are much more popular. but their is alternatives to get the vinyl quality. SACD's although hard to find they have the sound quality that is only dreapt of by CD's.
    The fact is that a lot of people think so, but that doesn't make if a fact. No know techinical argument or test has ever demonstrated tha it's true. I'll agree that I've heard plenty of crappy CDs, but I've head great ones too, and you have to judge the medium by the best examples, not the worst. I've hear great LPs too, but then you have to put up with clicks & pops, not to mention the ergonomic issues.

As a mainly classical listener, I don't have the same problem of over-compression of dynamic range that seems to be prevalent with pop CDs today.

you make a great point feanor, there has been no tests to really compare the two, it comes down to personal preferences. as a mainly a rock listener, my older albums ie, led zepplin, rolling stones ect.. sound much better on vinyl than their latter CD versions, but my new ones such as Nine inch nails, and tool, sound pretty much similiar, and in some cases better on CD. But personally SACD has the best sound in my opinion, even though their slection is highly limited.
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

Forum Regular
    Hi

But is it possible to produce a vinyl LP that never wears out ?
    This will certainly go down well with record collectors who own extremely rare and
    cherished recordings that they would love to listen to over and over again, without worring
    about scratches, wearing out and warping.

Thanks
    Yas

Yes, sort of

Hi

This will certainly go down well with record collectors who own extremely rare and
    cherished recordings that they would love to listen to over and over again, without worring

Thanks
    Yas
    ELP Corporation in Japan makes a laser-pickup turntable. It reads the gooves with laser beams which means your LP will never wear out from stylus pressure. These things are $15,000, but that could be deemed a huge bargain compared to some analog playback systems.

Check it out here ...
    http://www.elpj.com/
    Last edited by Feanor; 02-23-2007 at 11:35 AM.

What nobody wants to admit is that this is not a level playing field.

Vinyl is played via a tranducer.

This is somethng that converts mechanical energy to electrical energy.

...like a speaker.

And, tranducers being what they are, they are subject to the euphonic desires of their creators. ...just like speakers each have a different sound.

So, unless we can all agree that all speakers sound the same, this will be a non-argument and an exerciste in futility.

Hi

Thanks
    Yas
    but when you don't feel like spending $15000 on a tt,
    lp's can be kept in their original state for a longer time (not forever) by correctly setting up your tt, playing with a good, bot worn out cartridge, treating your lp's with respect, storing them correctly and cleaning them once in a while, all these things contribute to the lifetime of your lp...

some of my dad's lp's still sound like new, and they were played alot back then...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Last edited by basite; 02-23-2007 at 01:28 PM.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Kinda off the subject (as usual). I hope LPs do wear out, cuz I have this crazy idea.

Records have Break-In period, and I'm serious.

Brand new records never sounded good to me for some reason. Maybe I just dont scrub and clean well and deep enough.
    Anyone else here feel the same?

How about a new thread called:

Yasvanth VS. A.D.D. hehehehe

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I prefer vinyl but I buy lots of cd's because they are more readily available. If I want a recording of a performance I may not be patient enough to order the vinyl when the cd is available a few minutes away.

Interesting point about vinyl sounding better after a few plays. I think it was MoFi who said they do not dehorn their masters and the vinyl produced will have excess that will be removed after a few plays. He says contributing to the A. D. D.
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 02-25-2007 at 10:14 AM.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

superdougiefreshness
    I just brought home 500 of my LP record's back from storage and can't believe I ever left them behind for so long. I want to take the most beloved of my collection and burn a copy to cd on my Philips home stereo cd recordable/rewritable player. which I might add that I paid $35 u.s. dollar's to obtain-can we repeat "bargain" all at that same time. Hey I know this is a somewhat uninformed question of me but, why is my philips reader/writer on my stereo sound less warm then my crappier Sony 5 disc spinner I just tossed out? Honestly my Philips is significantly superior in sound quality; as to be expected, but the sony was not as clear in production but much warmer and had much better bass reproduction. I don't miss my old Sony what so ever, but I do notice a much larger sound stage with less bass response. What's up with that ? I guess I am now officially qualified for sub woofer camp everyone !!!

I await your well earned expertise
    Later Dudes
    Reach me at the address below and thanks all
    d.muich@cox.net

superdougiefreshness

Remote: imagine that

And yes everyone, I did forget to mention that my philips cd burner does indeed have a workable remote. Can we all so aaaahhhhh.........
    Luv ya all

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    See, the thing I like about this hobby is, you don't have to decide. I can have both!
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    See, the thing I like about this hobby is, you don't have to decide. I can have both!
    Yet you dont....do you? Also, where do you live?

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Sorta -- the system is not complete at the mo'. No arm or cart, but I got the rest.

And dude, quit with that joke, you're beginning to creep me out.
    Last edited by Dusty Chalk; 02-25-2007 at 09:06 AM.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael

Interesting point about vinyl sounding better after a few plays. I think it was MoFi who said they do not dehorn their masters and the vinyl produced will have escess that will be removed after a few plays. He says contributing to the A. D. D.
    YES!!!

Thank you for your post JM. If it wasnt for your post, everyone would think I'm just a psychotic spinner.

And about the original topic. I'll say what Dusty said. I might be happier with LP, but I'm not giving up my shiny discs.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

records wear less when you

keep them and the stylus clean and of course, play them less. my formula for the latter is to have LOTS of LPs. used ones are so much cheeeeeper but may require rigorous cleaning and maybe listening to some ticks and pops.

the chances you take on used vinyl are much less costly than with nearly any other format except perhaps used cassettes.

of course, some music will never make it to vinyl so those purchases are necessarily digital. sacd is fairly available in the net, you just have to look a bit. and YES, sacd is approximately equivalent to vinyl in sound minus the noise artifacts. thus reissues like mingus' "ah um" are worth getting on sacd, clean vinyl of that will be COSTLY.

the ELP laser vinyl player is likely a waste; i understand that product support is weak plus the noise of vinyl is many times VERY well reproduced. their noise reduction removes some of the music just as cedar and no-noise do, and again, costly. for the $15k, a conventional record player at that price is likely to result in better sound on playback.

bottom line-buy more vinyl, each one will allow you to play each one fewer times and expand your musical horizons.
    ...regards...tr

Thread Information