Talking got a "new" turntable!

Hi there, I lucked into a 'new' turntable about a week ago

I was at our street party, and since there were only 2 people in the entire street that have a reasonably sized music collection with music that everyone could like, (I am one of the 2 ), I had to be the DJ there...

while I was playing some records, a guy living in our street comes to me and says if I would like to have his turntable: he hadn't used the 'thing' since he got a cd player (which was, well, basically, when the cd arrived...), he also said that it still worked, but there was also no sound coming from the speakers if he played a record, and if I didn't take it, it would end up near the trashcan...

he then said it was 'a lenco turntable', of course I said yes...

so after the streetparty, he came to me with the turntable, which then appeared to be a Lenco L 75, in good/mint condition (exept a cracked dustcover), including 'the record cleaning arm'-thing, the 45 rpm adapter puck, a Pickering V-15 cartridge (with stylus, and extra replacement stylus, and 2 brushes for on the styluses)...

I explained to him that he probably hooked up the tt incorrectly, and that there was probably nothing wrong with it...
    still, he wanted me to take it.

So here I am, with a Lenco L 75, and all the afromentioned accesoires...

for free

I'm thinking of upgrading the tt, installing a new tonearm (since I read that this was the weakest part of this tt), and building a new, (massive) plinth for it...

I've made this thread already on AK, and since all the responses where very enthusiastic, I've decided to go through with my plans to upgrade the tt, they also gave me a link to a site called 'Lenco-Lovers', where there is alot of information on this tt, and tips, and other people who've done such upgrades...

when upgraded correctly, this tt can compete with modern tt's costing more than $3000

Needless to say, I'm exited

here are some pics...

seen from the front:

the included accesoires:

without the platter:

closeup of the idler wheel, and the 'drive shaft'? The Idler wheel is in exellent condition btw...

and an artsy photo

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Congratulations Bert, that looks like an interesting table. I have never seen a vertical idler wheel before. Could you supply a link to the Lenco site. You are a lucky 18 year old.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Nice

I dont know anything about them but it looks like it was well taken care of and also looks well built.
    Good looking rig.
    tell us how it sounds.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Suspended
    You just keep living the chamed life. Have fun.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Don't know the brand but if it plays as good as it looks then you did well.
    Just keep the volume down while playing it or that neighbor might hear what a dumb move he just made giving it away for free...........

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Congratulations Bert, that looks like an interesting table. I have never seen a vertical idler wheel before. Could you supply a link to the Lenco site. You are a lucky 18 year old.

Sure,

www.lenco-lovers.com

I registered there too, username is just 'Bert'

definitely take a look around there in the 'show off' section, lot's of nice upgraded turntables there...

and it sure is an interesting table

btw, maybe the pics don't show this, but the platter alone weighs an astonishing 4 kgs
    and after 38 years already, the speed is still dead on, without even oiling & lubricating the thing...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Damn!!!

That is one fine looking TT you've scored. Will it replace your Luxman?\

I have no knowledge of any Lenco TT, but do know that they have cult-like followers.
    How does that OEM arm stock-up against others? Counterweight looks to have the same idea as Tecnoweight with low center of gravity. Better headshell and rewire may rewake your TT to a feisty beast

Congrats!
    JRA

yup, it's supposed to replace my luxman (which will then feature in dad's system...)...

The original lenco made arm was a pretty high end arm back when it was released, unfortunately, due to some weird ideas (wich included rubber decoupling of specific tonearm parts (the tube is decoupled, as is the tube that holds the counterweight)), that 'high end' tonearm didn't last pretty long, and after all the years, it defintily needs alot of refurbishing...

and it's not worth all the work, also, you can't replace the headshell, so that's a problem too...

I'm looking at a Rega RB301 to replace the arm...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Aging Smartass
    I know very little about Lenco turntables, but comparing it to newer ones at $3,000 a pop seems a bit of a stretch. That which I do know is that the cartridge, a Pickering Micro IV model, was one of the company's worst products ever. The key selling feature of the Micro IV models was that they featured plastic snap-on mounts for the best selling turnables at the time, and didn't use any screws to hold them in place. Aside from that, the company's XV/15 line ran rings around the performance of the Micro IV models.

As PIckering's National Sales Manager in the late 70's, I tried to get the Micro IV lineup discontinued, but company stalwarts somehow felt that by offering numerous different lines of products (V/15, XV/15, XSV, XUV, etc.) gave the company a competitive edge. In reality, all it did was make everyone else wonder why PIckering bothered with so many competing models.

Quote Originally Posted by emaidel
    I know very little about Lenco turntables, but comparing it to newer ones at $3,000 a pop seems a bit of a stretch.
    When upgraded (new arm, new plinth), it isn't a stretch, really

their motor is powerful, quiet and turns at a constant rpm, which synchronizes itself with the AC powerline frequency (50 hz here, 60 hz in america), the idler wheel transfers the motor speed to the platter, so the idler wheel itself doesn't matter to the turning speed of the platter. So, even after almost 40 years already, all you have to do is just lubricate the motor shaft & the platter bearing, and the thing will quietly spin at a perfect 33 1/3 rpm. this adds to a tight, powerful bass & a good timing.

there were only 2 faults with the L75. one was it's tonearm (seen in the long term...), and the second was the plinth. The plinth was decoupled (suspended) with springs, the base plate was also decoupled, and the tonearm was also decoupled, theoretically seen, this might be perfect, in reality, it sucks. furthermore, the standard plinth resonates & transfers all the vibrations from the motor to the platter and the tonearm.

both of these 'problems' can be fixed, and then the turntable will compare to many expensive modern turntables. [

That which I do know is that the cartridge, a Pickering Micro IV model, was one of the company's worst products ever.

yup, first thing I did was removing the cart. even my cheapo Ortofon OM-5e sounded better. mounted my Denon DL-103 and I already was impressed with the turntable's 'standard' sound...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304