Decent inexpensive turntable and preamp recommendations

I am looking to add an inexpensive turntable to my rig. I will also need an inexpensive phono preamp if you can help with that. I would like to stay under $250 new or used and see if I like analog before I spend more money on it. Thanks...
    Last edited by psonic; 03-21-2005 at 06:51 PM.
    Dynaudio Audience 60
    Audio Refinement Complete Integrated
    Sony DVP-NC685V CD/SACD/DVD
    Audioquest Viper Interconnect
    14AWG OFC Speaker cable

"hey dreaming it up accounts for half the fun - and time"

Forum Regular
    Rega makes nice turn tables that aren't too expensive. I imagine that you could get a P2 or an used P3 for somewhere near your price range. As far as phono pre amplifiers go, I don't have many recomendations. The NAD PP-2 is cheap and supposedly performs well. The PP-1 is an older model, and you can find it used for around $50.00.

Goodluck.
    -Shwamdoo

Quote Originally Posted by psonic
    I am looking to add an inexpensive turntable to my rig. I will also need an inexpensive phono preamp if you can help with that. I would like to stay under $250 new or used and see if I like analog before I spend more money on it. Thanks...
    Pro-Ject makes nice affordable tables, the NAD PP-2 is supposedly good.

Linn LP-12 (Origin Live Advanced PS w/DC Motor) Benz "ACE" medium output*TAD-150*Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monoblocs*Parasound CD-P 1000*NAD 4020A Tuner*Velodyne F-1000 Subwoofer*Toshiba SD-4700 DVD*Motorola DTP-5100 HD converter*Pioneer PDP-4300*Martin-Logan Clarity*Audioquest cables and interconnects* Panamax 5100 power conditioner

Plays Records

Sony Turntable System (PS-LX250H)
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do

It will play records nothing fancy and has a built in pre-amp
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Forum Regular
    I'd recommend the Pro-Ject Debut III turntable. In most countries it comes with a reasonably good phono stage and a respectable Ortofon mm cartridge all set up and ready to go. Much cheaper than the Rega options but not markedly inferior to them. My son-in-law bought one, and I hear nothing objectionable when I play it through my high-end system.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Agree with Logan -- I heard a dirt cheap Pro-Ject includes Ortofon cart and sounded quite good -- better than the stock version of my NAD and my NAD is a Rega 2 made by Rega for NAD.

I bought the NAD 3 years ago before my dealer had Pro-Ject -- but if it was today I'd take the Pro-Ject.

You could of course go used but then a lot of older ones are not as plug and play as newer models. I'd definitely look at belt drive tables.

The pro-ject does look good. I just bought an early 80's Sony on ebay with an $80 Ortofon cart very cheap. Just needed a stylus, and I ordered that, Radio Shack was actually the cheapest deal on the Ortofon stylus - $20 + sh. Here is the Sony (different one): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

This will hold me over as I save up to potentially get a Pro-ject or music hall. Now I need a phono stage. My local hifi shop has the NAD PP2 for $105, I see this is generally accepted as the best bang for the buck phono pre. The cheap Radio Shack phone pre is a thought too. RGA, are you using that? Anyone else hear it or suggest another?
    Dynaudio Audience 60
    14AWG OFC Speaker cable

Audio Enthusiast
    There are a number of descent Phone Preamps available for whatever price range you can afford.

I used an inexpensive Btech BT926 which I purchased from the Needledoctor until I could afford to get the one I really wanted. I was surprised by its performance and I think it put to shame many Phonopre's costing much more. It was definintely as good or better than the NAD PP-1 I've used.

See http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc....5Pp7ftolbGmkTy
    for a selection.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    The pro-ject does look good. I just bought an early 80's Sony on ebay with an $80 Ortofon cart very cheap. Just needed a stylus, and I ordered that, Radio Shack was actually the cheapest deal on the Ortofon stylus - $20 + sh. Here is the Sony (different one): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

This will hold me over as I save up to potentially get a Pro-ject or music hall. Now I need a phono stage. My local hifi shop has the NAD PP2 for $105, I see this is generally accepted as the best bang for the buck phono pre. The cheap Radio Shack phone pre is a thought too. RGA, are you using that? Anyone else hear it or suggest another?
    No I have a tube Phono Stage in my OTO Phono SE...it is a $600.00 phono option on the OTO but well worth it. I still have the Little RAT stage from Radio Shack -- for $50.00Cdn I liked it as much as the Rega and NAD units which here are are quite a lot more money.

I never realised how important the phono stage could be - and they are. But I think one has to keep it all in perspective...If I'm buying a $500.00 table or less like my NAD then I think the Little Rat or NAD etc boards are fine.

BUT I have longer term upgrade goals in mind so wheni finally upgrade my turntable I'll have a top flight phono stage to not result in a let-down. the TT1 I may be able to get for $1100.00Cdn($800US) including the Arm(the carts extra at $500 - 700.00Cdn depending which one I opt for).

"I still have the Little RAT stage from Radio Shack -- for $50.00Cdn I liked it as much as the Rega and NAD units which here are are quite a lot more money."

Well Radio Shack does not stock it anymore, if you are talking about the one on the website with 9V battery? Or is it this one by realistic? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Don't see the 9V version anywere for sale...
    Dynaudio Audience 60
    14AWG OFC Speaker cable

Forum Regular
    Just a word of warning if you go cheep thats what the sound will be like. If your looking to get into vinyl, just trying it to see if you like it. I would recommend you borrow a good rig from some one. a poor TT will not convince you of the potential that a descent rig will deliver ( min the Project or Rega in new or go used) so don't waist you money on the Sony.ect.

Thread Information