Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Yeah, I switched the Ortofon this one came with out now for the Denon DL 103 and those leads are really, really thin. Almost wishing I hadn't just ordered a 301 Mkii because I will be a bit nerve racked changing carts again. And yeah, with enough weight the 103 does work fine and I am quite enjoying it thus far, but I couldn't resist trying the 301 at those Comet Supply prices and it really does look a better match for the table and arm so.... Besides from what I hear about delivery time with Comet, I'll probably be needing a new cart by the time it shows up anyway.

I'm not wild about the little felt mat on there. I actually like how the Platter Matter I have works with it, except that it is too thick for the threaded record clamp to work with it. Anyone know of a mat that is as thin as the felt maps but more of a heavy duty dampening kinda thing like the Platter Matter?

Try Herbies or Music Hall who makes a good matt.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob View Post
    I broke a cartridge lead on a Debut III. Wow...those things are truly tiny. I had to fix it in a hurry, though. It's the wife's turntable. I was trying to see how a Rega Elys would work on it. It hummed, so I took it off right away, put the OM5E back on and never said a word to the missus.
    Dude . . .err noob! How'd you fix it?!

Do you see any pitfalls in attempting a project like replacing the tonearm wiring on a Pro-Ject? I'm thinking that it wouldn't be too much of a stretch if I found a good deal on some upgraded wiring. I found the tonearm cable below, but I don't know about compatibility, etc. and of course I've never soldered before, but as a weekend project I like the idea.

Dedicated Audio - Cardas (4) Strand, Braided 33AWG Tonearm Cable with Soldered Clips

I broke the wire at the clip, so I just had to get it connected. I have a device called a Third Hand that I used for holding the clip while I made the repair. I burned the insulator off at the end of the wire with a lit match. Threaded the wire through and bent it over the clip with a pencil. Held the wire to the clip with a hot soldering iron. Touched it with the end of a strip of solder. That was pretty much it. Delicate work, but it went easily enough.

I don't know of any problem with a Cardas re-wire on the Pro-Ject tonearm, assuming that these wires aren't larger or heavier than the originals. I've thought about attempting a rewire largely for fun, but I don't want to mess with my Rega. I wish I had a turntable on hand that needed a rewire.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    I'm not wild about the little felt mat on there. I actually like how the Platter Matter I have works with it, except that it is too thick for the threaded record clamp to work with it. Anyone know of a mat that is as thin as the felt maps but more of a heavy duty dampening kinda thing like the Platter Matter?

Here is a link to my favorite mat. The Ringmat Anniversary mat.

Ringmat Developments - Anniversary Goldspot
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin View Post
    Dude . . .err noob! How'd you fix it?!

Do you see any pitfalls in attempting a project like replacing the tonearm wiring on a Pro-Ject? I'm thinking that it wouldn't be too much of a stretch if I found a good deal on some upgraded wiring. I found the tonearm cable below, but I don't know about compatibility, etc. and of course I've never soldered before, but as a weekend project I like the idea.

Dedicated Audio - Cardas (4) Strand, Braided 33AWG Tonearm Cable with Soldered Clips
    If you can get er done...I suspect it will be a better and more clear sound ...better resolution than whats on it now. IF you got the cash to spare...and the time, I would go for it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Here's the promised pics..

You get the cabinet where it all site, the new Pro-Ject and the Dual for 78s. The Pro-Ject has th extra heavy counterweight along with a 2 gram weight on the cart to give the arm extra mass for the Denon DL-103. Cart runs through a Denon transformer into the Bellari. The Dual is set-up with an Ortofon OM78. Right now I am running it through the Bellari too, just switching cords. I've got an extra input on the pre-amp so may consider a 78 specific phono amp at some point, but getting all this upgraded and running is good for now. You can also see a Bluetooth receiver that gets used when people are over and I don't want to be distracted with changing records and all that.

Digging this set-up right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pro-Ject line of turntables perhaps?-both-turntables.jpg   Pro-Ject line of turntables perhaps?-pro-ject.jpg   Pro-Ject line of turntables perhaps?-dual.jpg  

Boyeee! Loke at you! Thats a nice set up man! Hows the Bellari? and tell me how the blue tooth is working out? You streaming music upstairs? The Tables look nice!

I like the Bellari. I don't have a tone of experience with phono amps so don't want to say too much. But I do like it better than the Parasound I was using before I got it (the Parasound was nice, but a bit noisy) and I really like the USB output for recording vinyl to the computer. It doesn't have a ton of gain, but with the step-up transformer it is plenty.

The Bluetooth is because I have all my MP3s on the Amazon cloud and then stream them through my phone. So when I just want easy and don't wanna mess or don't plan on being available to get up and down to change records, I can just play the stream through my phone to the Bluetooth. I'm single story so no idea how it works from floor to floor. I use the Bluetooth stream with my car stereo too. Quality is not near what you get from vinyl or even CD, but it is comparable to hooking the iPod up to the stereo. In fact, it's pretty much made my iPod obsolete, which is good since I couldn't stand iTunes. But when I want good sound over hands free, it's not an option I would suggest.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information