Thread: LP Gear Z mat?

LP Gear Z mat?

Anyone use this? http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merc...tegory_Code=PE

Seems like a cheap up grade for my PS-X45 if is really works well. Prob even if it does work well isn't worth it on a audiophile TT but for my little $20 swamp meet find...DYI mono cable change up... and $60 cartridge....seems if it works, a good trick for low end TT.

Opinions?

This seems to be an ordinary felt mat...or do you see anything different about it from the ones that come standard with many turntables?

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    This seems to be an ordinary felt mat...or do you see anything different about it from the ones that come standard with many turntables?

Unfortunately I don't "see" anything different cause I don't two to listen to side by side. I was just going of the description. Could be just a felt mat you are right, but says it is better then that.

More audio BS?

It doesn't really say it's better than a felt mat. It says it's better than most standard-equipment mats, but it doesn't say exactly which.

Aging Smartass
    I know nothihg about this mat, and therefore can't comment on it. I do have experience with the "Achromat" turntable mat, available from The Needle Doctor for $100. While the description of the mat uses a bunch of mumbo-jmbo audiophile silliness about bubbles, I know that the mat makes a noticeable difference over the standard, heavy-duty rubber mat on my Dual CS-5000. Everything sounds cleaner and more open. To me, the $100 was money well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    It doesn't really say it's better than a felt mat. It says it's better than most standard-equipment mats, but it doesn't say exactly which.

Very true. I don't have a felt mat at this point. Just rubber. So maybe the purchase would be worth while.

Quote Originally Posted by emaidel
    I know nothihg about this mat, and therefore can't comment on it. I do have experience with the "Achromat" turntable mat, available from The Needle Doctor for $100. While the description of the mat uses a bunch of mumbo-jmbo audiophile silliness about bubbles, I know that the mat makes a noticeable difference over the standard, heavy-duty rubber mat on my Dual CS-5000. Everything sounds cleaner and more open. To me, the $100 was money well spent.

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out but $100 is a bit more then I am trying to spend on this TT at the moment.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

try

try posting this at the vinyl asylum. its the most active of the AA rooms.
    ...regards...tr

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Hey Adam. I can see why you'd be a little spooked about spending big bucks on a mat. You've bought the table for 20.00 right? For a lower end TT, a mat is right after a cartridge in importance. Consider that the great thing about a really good mat, is it can be switched to your upgrade, assuming this is your plan.

Actually, in my opinion, a really good mat is the one tweak that is probably more essential for a cheaper table than an expensive one. Since your Sony's chassis, platter and arm are "cheaply" made, you need extra good dampening to prevent your needle from picking up minute vibrations. Also, there's probably little seperation between your motor and your platter. which also can cause vibrations. The high end tables are designed better to cope with these problems.

Also, your Sony probably has a crappy, worn out rubber mat which always runs the risk of slipping while turning. This problem is called a pitch error. A good mat will help your vinyl to spin accurately. Also, as a side note, if you hear pitch errors, look into a clamp.

Anyhow, If I can apply a tweak to further upgrades down the road, I don't worry too much about it. If a tweak is only good for a low end source, then think twice. You would want to consider this money spent against the cost of upgrading. Just my thoughts...

BTW, the mat in question looks good for collecting dust. Your Pledge bill will go down dramatically I'm sure, as will the time it takes to dust your pad. With this extra time you could browse the internet looking for a product to get the dust off of your mat...you want a cheap mat? Buy a sheet of cork and precisely cut out the platter dimension and the spindle hole. Bam!!

Thread Information