• 10-19-2010, 02:56 PM
    02audionoob
    Congratulations, Eno! Nice pics for a phone. It would seem like the Denon could potentially benefit from the added weight. Based on the formula I have, the weight didn't cause a negative effect on the result until I got to at least 11 grams of tonearm mass.
  • 10-19-2010, 05:08 PM
    Enochrome
    Noob,

I used the resonance chart on Vinyl Engine.

I had read that translating the compliance of japanese companies that rate at 100hz is essentially doubling it for a spec at 10hz compliance. I added a 2.5 gram weight to make the carts' mass to 7.3. With a cart mass of 7.3 and the tone arm mass being between 6 - 8 grams, I got a frequency of 11hz.

Was I close? I also heard change the load resistance can help?
  • 10-19-2010, 05:58 PM
    poppachubby
  • 10-19-2010, 06:05 PM
    02audionoob
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Enochrome
    Noob,

I used the resonance chart on Vinyl Engine.

I had read that translating the compliance of japanese companies that rate at 100hz is essentially doubling it for a spec at 10hz compliance. I added a 2.5 gram weight to make the carts' mass to 7.3. With a cart mass of 7.3 and the tone arm mass being between 6 - 8 grams, I got a frequency of 11hz.

Was I close? I also heard change the load resistance can help?

It does indeed sound like you're doing it correctly. I get close to 11 Hz with 6 grams and a little over 10 Hz with 8 grams.

As for the load, often referred to in this context as impedance, the Denon high-output MC cartridges are designed for a load of 47k Ohm. If you have other options, you might want to try them, just to see what effect they have. The guys at AK often discussing modding their setup to provide the Shure M97XE with a 62k load to open up the top end a bit. I have a 100k Ohm setting on my Kenwood Basic C2, but that's a little extreme.
  • 10-21-2010, 10:56 AM
    Enochrome
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Yes!!!

Congrats man, looks superb!! I would say if it's tracking nicely and sounds good, everything you've done is great. What a price!! Trade a couple of books and throw in some pocket change.

The pics are fantastic. Would you say that this cart is satisfying your needs? Sounds like it is, and you've barely broke it in. Glad you took the plunge Eno, you deserve to be listening to the best my man.

Next step would be a nice external pre amp. I was close to selling my Creek, but have changed my mind. I'm using it in my computer system as a means to rip LPs, but also for listening occasionally. It helps to create astonishingly brilliant rips. When I think of all the joy it would bring you, I come close to doing it. The Creek OBH-18 was selling at Music Direct for $200!!! Seems they sold out (of course!). However Audio Advisor has them for only $250, an excellent price when you consider Needle Dr. still has them at $325.

When you pit the OBH18 against the cambridge 640P for instance, the price/performance of the Creek is undeniable. At 250, it's only $50 more than the Cambridge.

Here's a thought. My EICO HF85 is being modded. When it comes back, I am almost certain that it will dethrone my Bozak. Rather than have my Bozak sit in a closet, I will use it in place of my Creek, and sell the Creek to you. Sound good? This is all pending that I am happy with the EICO sitting in the main system.

Of course, I will give you a friend price. How does $100 USD sound? It's absolutely mint condition. It has the standard DC wall wart (which is super quiet), but Creek sell an upgraded power supply if you so choose. Of course, I could teach you how to run it off of a couple 12V batteries instead.

Anyhow, that cart needs something special to process it's signal. We'll talk. I expect the HF85 back in a couple of weeks.

I read your post and thanks Poppa!! I think the cart is settling in more and some of the stiff highs frequencies are dissipating and providing a smoother image. The detail retrieval, balance ( never really understood what that really meant till this cart) and the transients are simply flooring me right now. Yet, I am still adjusting the right set up, as well as working on a custom isolation sand box.

The Creek might be a doable idea, but I gotta look into the pocket book for the next month ( about to go on possible costly business/vacation trip ), but that price is much appreciated deal for me.

How is the AR table and the Nagaoka treating you? What's the VTF for the nag and what's the mass on your arm?
  • 10-21-2010, 12:34 PM
    poppachubby
    The table is an Ariston. The VTF would be 1.5 - 2.0. I am switching arms from a Pioneer PL-41 to a Moth MKI. The Moth is a rebadged, OEM Rega RB-251. It's mass is 11g while the Pioneer is ultra light at 8g.

I still have to mount it.
  • 10-21-2010, 04:28 PM
    frenchmon
    Congrats on the new cart Enochrome! And thaks for the pics and review.