AR Newbie Registered Member

Best Turntable for $500 ??

Hello just wanted to get other opinions on the best table to buy for around the 500 price range. I went to my high end audio store that specializes in analog equipment here in Denver and they have the new Sumiko Pro-ject RM1.3 in and it is GORGEOUS in person, the pics you see online dont do it justice. I just want to get other opinions for sure before I berak down and buy it soon, great package for 499 retail comes with table, awesome tone arm, cables, isolated motor and a Sumiko Pearl moving magnet cartridge that is factory mounted.

The RM-1.3 is designed to look and perform like no other affordable turntable. Featuring a Sumiko Pearl moving magnet cartridge that is factory mounted for your convenience, the RM-1.3 delivers musical fidelity that belies its price. A resonance-optimized MDF platter with a felt mat rests upon a three-point MDF plinth with an isolated motor assembly optimized for low noise and speed stability. The RM-1.3 incorporates an inverted chrome plated stainless steel axle that rests on a polished steel bearing in a bronze housing for low wow-and-flutter and speed accuracy. Three nylon cone feet further reduce noise and vibration. A single-piece fixed headshell 9” S-shaped tonearm features hardened stainless steel bearings and rigid aluminum tube to provide superb tracking. Accurate adjustment of both VTA and azimuth is easily accomplished. Detachable RCA interconnect cables included.

SPECIFICATIONS

Fitted Cartridge: Sumiko Pearl
    Amplifier Connection: MM-Input
    Nominal Speeds: 33 / 45 rpm
    Dust Cover: No
    Motor Completely Decoupled: Yes
    RCA Phono Jacks: Yes
    S Shaped Tonearm: Yes
    Tonearm: Pro-Ject 8.6S
    Tonearm with Carbon Fiber Armtube: Yes
    Effective Tonearm Length: 8.6" (218.5mm)
    Effective Tonearm Mass: 8.5g
    Overhang: 19mm
    Supplied Counterweight: Cartridge weight 4 - 9g
    Downforce Range: 10 - 30mN
    Speed Variance: ±0.8%
    Wow & Flutter: ±0.15%
    Signal-to-Noise: -70dB
    Platter Weight / Diameter 1.6kg / 300mm
    Power Supply: Outboard Power Supply
    Output Voltage: 12V / 200mA AC
    Power Consumption: 2W
    Dimensions (WHD): 15 x 4.5 x 13.8 in., 380 x 115 x 350 mm
    Weight: 7.3 lbs., 3.3 kg
    Finish: Black Piano Gloss Lacquer, Red or White

Sorry for the long text but just wanted to get specs out for comparison. I am stricly a listener and dont need a turntable for DJing or anything like that, just quality listening. I can tell you one thing though the RM1.3 look-wise is tops.

Thanks for your feedback - Mike

With which turntable would you want to compare specs? And which specs would you want to compare?

Not sure really just posted in case any one needed the specs from the Rm1.3 Just basically asking what people would go with if they had a 500 budget.

It's a pretty competitive price point, given that the sub-$500 turntables include the 1.3, the Debut III, the P1 and the MMF-2.2. There's also the Denon DP-300F, but that's sort of a different animal. If I were going to choose among those, I'd probably go with the 1.3.

However, just think what you could get for $500 on the used market.

True but opening up a brand new player fresh out of the box ready to go is awesome.. The RM1.3 blows away the Debut III. Even the old expert audiophile guy said so. You are right on the used part though, Oh man I could get a real nice Bang and Olufsen table I bet.

I can understand the enjoyment of opening up the new turntable. There's something to be said for that. When I bought my tube amp, it was used but was still sealed from having been sent to the factory for a complete service and new tubes. It was a joy to open.

As for used, yes...there's stuff like B&O, but there's also the opportunity to move up the ladder in the Pro-Ject, Music Hall, Rega world. You might be able to get something for $500 that sells new for $900 or $1,000.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    My local shop is still awaiting their order from Sumiko. I can't wait to hear it. I say if your budget can afford it, give the Genie a whirl.

Sucks about your shop still not getting their RM1.3 display yet, wait til you see it in person and hear it, my shop has it in red, the more i look at it in person the more badass it looks. Either red or black for me.

Thread Information