Phono stage gain

Is there a way to calculate (without hearing the equipment) how much gain it would take for a turntable and phono stage to be approximately as loud as the other components? So when you turn the selector knob, they sound about the same? Suppose we have numbers like this:

Cartridge: Goldring GL2200 - Sensitivity 6.5mV±1.5dB, 1kHz @ 5 cm/sec

Preamp: Adcom GFP-565 - Input Sensitivity - High Level 205 mV, Phono 2.3 mV
    Input Impedance - High Level 22,000 Ohms, Phono 47,000 Ohms/100 pF

CD: Adcom GCD-575 - Output Level 2.5 V RMS

My goal actually isn't just sameness. It's to understand how much the phono stage gain will impact volume. I don't have the option of auditioning phono stages. I'm probably going to buy one online. I see the Jolida tube phono stage has something like 70 dB gain, while the Pro-Ject has 40 and the Bellari has 30.

Try a link below as a reference.

http://www.kabusa.com/pregain.htm

If you are looing for a outboard phonopre that will offer very similar gain stage to your Adcom, then look for one that offers around 40-41dB.
    But with your cartridge, idea load shown on the calculator is 34dB of gain. Output of 6.5mV, you will never have to worry about not having enough gain.

Which Bellari are you looking at? Bellari V129 seems to be popular, but V29(Not V129) is absolutely the worst audio gear on the market.

Thanks for the link. That looks like just what I need. Yes...With Bellari I'm looking at the VP129 or VP130. Right now, I think I'm leaning more toward the Pro-Ject Tube Box. My currrent cartridge is 4.0 mV, so the Goldring should reduce my optimum gain from 38 to 34 dB. This calculator confirms my suspicion that the VP129's gain of 30 dB is going in the wrong direction. It's apparently 10 dB less than my Adcom.
    Last edited by 02audionoob; 10-04-2008 at 07:39 AM.

I used to own the original PJ Tubebox and made my fall for tubes. Very non-fatiguing sounding phono pre. Be sure to play around with different tubes. My current favorite tubes are made by.......Sovtek. They are one of the cheapest tubes on the market, and I keep going back to them for the simple reason. I love the sound they offer. It's not always the case, but to me they are much more musical than other tubes, including exotics.

Will you be considering to purchase a used phono pre?

I've been looking at needledoctor.com and Audiogon...considering both new and used.

Thread Information