Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: phono preamp.

BTW, just my $0.02.

I was considering the Pro-ject Debut, but decided I'll probably just bite the bullet & go with the Xpression instead. Yeah, more than I wanted to spend, but it has all the necessary adjustments. I don't remember if the debut has VTA adjustment (I think it does), but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have azimuth. The current model of the xpression has all that and conical feet to place on top of your fine new concrete mat.

I just ordered a Shure M97Xe at Amazon. Not an expensive cart but I think it has that gizmo y'all were talking about.

-j
    Last edited by tin ear; 09-21-2006 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    ok, something completely different in the subsonic tones departement, i've got this cd, "a warm blue note session" and it has got some tracks on it that were recorded from vinyl to the cd, some of these tracks cause woofer pumping too, anyone having a solution for this?
    I'll give it a shot here.

I dont really know the exact model of your Advent speakers but you say it's 80ish. Could it be possible that rubber surroundings of your woofers are worn out? If you woofers are smaller than say... 20-25 cms, it's not really capable of playing sub 20hz frequency. Woofers may start pumping in and out when they are struggling to keep up with requested material. That maybe but will not explain your subsonic problems, I think. Playing CDs that were originally issued for LPs shouldn't be a problem. Try playing some bass heavy CD, and compare it with your LP problem. Your should see and hear the difference. Try not to worry so much and analyze more than you should. Debut SE should be a huge upgrade. Just get some brass cones under your TT. That will minimize feedback mostly caused by external vibration. Xpression 2 may work better since it comes with cone like feet. But I think connection of conical feet on Xpression are little flimsy due to rubber base. I personally dont like anything soft between cones and a TT.
    If your woofers are say smaller than 20cms, and still having this issue I would have to say your TT is setup in less than ideal environment. I say less than 20cm since they shouldnt create floor/wall shaking bass. Maybe your TT's drive mechanism is creating excessive vibration.

TTs have mind of their own. It can be a bit tricky at times, but your problem seems unusual. Does it have feet on the bottom? Rubber feet or just sits flat on your table/rack? Were you able to find a heavy table in your house to see if your rack is the source of your problem? Any luck with heavy sheet to place under your TT?(most important part is that rock/concrete is heavy and FLAT)

If you have an access to a digital camera, how about a picture of your TT setup?

Best part of this is that you are not giving up on vinyl.

-JRA

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    I'll give it a shot here.

I dont really know the exact model of your Advent speakers but you say it's 80ish. Could it be possible that rubber surroundings of your woofers are worn out? If you woofers are smaller than say... 20-25 cms, it's not really capable of playing sub 20hz frequency. Woofers may start pumping in and out when they are struggling to keep up with requested material. That maybe but will not explain your subsonic problems, I think. Playing CDs that were originally issued for LPs shouldn't be a problem. Try playing some bass heavy CD, and compare it with your LP problem. Your should see and hear the difference. Try not to worry so much and analyze more than you should. Debut SE should be a huge upgrade. Just get some brass cones under your TT. That will minimize feedback mostly caused by external vibration. Xpression 2 may work better since it comes with cone like feet. But I think connection of conical feet on Xpression are little flimsy due to rubber base. I personally dont like anything soft between cones and a TT.
    If your woofers are say smaller than 20cms, and still having this issue I would have to say your TT is setup in less than ideal environment. I say less than 20cm since they shouldnt create floor/wall shaking bass. Maybe your TT's drive mechanism is creating excessive vibration.

TTs have mind of their own. It can be a bit tricky at times, but your problem seems unusual. Does it have feet on the bottom? Rubber feet or just sits flat on your table/rack? Were you able to find a heavy table in your house to see if your rack is the source of your problem? Any luck with heavy sheet to place under your TT?(most important part is that rock/concrete is heavy and FLAT)

If you have an access to a digital camera, how about a picture of your TT setup?

Best part of this is that you are not giving up on vinyl.

-JRA
    just for the information: the woofer speaker (with surrouning and stuff around it) are 31 cm (12") total, they are different from the original advent woofers because they broke when i was 4-5 years old and my dad just put in new ones, with new surround that doesn't wear out,
    for the cd, i'm pretty sure that it is the cd, cuz i have alot of songs that will go lower than that cd and then the speakers act exeptionally well, so it's not the speakers,

my next tt wil be as sead the xpression 2 or the debut se (more likely the xpression)
    even better news for the tt, when i do my best at school, my parents will pay it, which leaves me enough money for a tuner or a cd player.

I have a digital camera, i will post pics in a few moments,

about the "giving up on vinyl" simple answer, NEVER!! once you like it, you can't get rid of it.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

here's a pic of the tt setup and one of the advents (one of them) both of the pictures are made with a flash, so they are quite reflective,

ow yeah, i know the setup is far from ideal, but i don't have room for a decent placement, there will once come a more decent placing, but still not ideal,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails phono preamp.-speaker2.jpg   phono preamp.-tt-setup.jpg  
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Hey Basite, you gotta great looking system. TT looks beautiful. I see spikes/cones under your TT. That should be minimizing your external vibration. Do well at school, so you can get that TT. I dont see you losing anything out that deal. Wall-mounted TT is "said" to minimized vibration, I've never tried it. How rigid is that shelf?

I was suggest a new phono-pre with your money, but since you dont have a CD player I'll say you are making a good decision.

-JRA

The pics are fine. Thanks. Your TT is OK on that wall shelf, maybe try a thicker shelf. So I don't think that it is the placement that causes your booming problem. It's either the cartridge or the cartridge/arm incompatibility issue.
    I would aswell try to isolate the speakers. Be that spikes or whatever underneath, you might find it cleans the booming up a fair bit.
    Good incentive to study hard and get as a reward a new Project TT. Thats great.
    All the best with the studying and keep those discs spinning.

Peace

Bernd
    Last edited by Bernd; 09-22-2006 at 07:49 AM.
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

i use the cd player in my computer, i know i know, it generally sucks, but i have a good sound card and a quite good equalizer (software) so it comes out pretty well, but i'm hoping to have enough money for a cd player, possebly denon dcd-700, or a marantz one (dunno which one but i'll find that out)

for what rests of the booming when playing records it is the arm (found that out too) and the motor (that's why i'm going belt drive).

for school: German is really hard, but, it gets my full atention.

thx guys.

Basite
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Any probs with the german homework I gladly help.
    Here is something to wet your appetite till the day .....

http://www.needles-and-spins.co.uk/p...perience_x.cfm

Peace

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

the x pack, hmmm, really Xpensive looks bloody georgeous , but, the 'normal' Xpression 2 is the highest i could go, the only upgrade between now and teh new tt could be better woofers. but that chance is really small.

for now thanks, and Bernd, i'll keep that German thing in mind
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Re: an earlier question...

ok, something completely different in the subsonic tones departement, i've got this cd, "a warm blue note session" and it has got some tracks on it that were recorded from vinyl to the cd, some of these tracks cause woofer pumping too, anyone having a solution for this?
    ...perhaps concrete patio blocks of suitable size?

This compilation or remix from this DJ who goes by the name of Buscemi...Blue Note Sidetracks vol. 2...haven't found too much techie info but, if the CD was a result of vinyl (as opposed to analog-tape masters) being digitized, it may simply be a textbook case of GIGO...Garabge In Garbage Out...whatever infrasonic info that was generated by the disk/cart/tonearm/turntable comination became part of the finished product...a low-cut filter (common in older gear) might be the answer, but newer, more audiopile-oriented stuff eschews the use of these nasty filters and tone controls, etc. tsk, tsk!

Of course the obvious question is: does this woofer movement just bug you visually or does it somehow cause sonic problems? If the former, I'd simply ignore it...if the latter, some form of lo-freq spectrum shaping thingie may be required.

jimHJJ(...that's my best guess...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

I dont see how you can get a significantly better table than Xpression2 for under 800€. You'll have more future option with that RCA phono sockets.
    Man, I'm really jealous.
    Stay on top of your German. Maybe you can help me complete my transaction from TubeAmpDoctor.
    If you can master English, German, Spanish, and Chinese you'll have more than enough money to buy speakers from Flo.

If you can master English, German, Spanish, and Chinese you'll have more than enough money to buy speakers from Flo.
    possebly, but maths and science are more my thing,
    for the ones who like my current tt (luxman pd-282)
    here's another pic of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails phono preamp.-tt1.jpg  
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Cool

for that cd i was talkin about with the rumbling: i ripped it onto my pc (in the highest quality wave format of course) and ran it tru a few audio mastering programs, and magix audio cleaning lab had a de-rumble function, now the rumbling has been minimized.
    so far for that problem
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Basite,

You may not want to take this advice too seriously, since I cann't see that arm/cart in person. But, I have to think your cart is placed way too forward than it should. I just say this, since Alot of TT setups I've seen never needed a cartridge to rest that much forward on a headshell. Of course this call should be determined by a proper alighment tool based on the size of headshell, cart, and blah, blah. Without proper tool, you dont want to blindly adjust it. Don't wing it, this isnt life.

How was your cartridge installed?
    If you cannot afford a TT protractor yet, then you need to send a stamped/self addressed envelope to one of the listings on this site.
    http://www.enjoythemusic.com/freestuff.htm

scroll down half way.

-JRA

I forgot to comment. Your Luxman TT is just beautiful. I would hold on to it for future restoration project.

Basite,

You may not want to take this advice too seriously, since I cann't see that arm/cart in person. But, I have to think your cart is placed way too forward than it should. I just say this, since Alot of TT setups I've seen never needed a cartridge to rest that much forward on a headshell. Of course this call should be determined by a proper alighment tool based on the size of headshell, cart, and blah, blah. Without proper tool, you dont want to blindly adjust it. Don't wing it, this isnt life.

-JRA
    *looks at cart*
    i indeed think you're right,
    *compares to technics mount*
    when i compare it with the technics cart, it is way on front, i put it back a little, i'll think that when i buy/get my new tt, i'll buy the alignment tool with it.
    for the moment, comparing will do, but i'm going to Antwerp one of the coming days and then i'll look for an alignment tool.
    and yes, when i can, i keep the luxman for restoration, it just is too good to be left behind, since it was here, it became my icon along with the rest of my system
    greetz,
    Basite.

btw, what did you mean with "help me complete my transaction from TubeAmpDoctor. "??
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Just go to the web site jrhymeammo suggested and get a stamped self addressed envelope. That way you can get a free alignment protractor. Then you can set your cartridge up properly.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

i looked at that site again, it turned out that you didn't need to send an envelope at all, you could do it but there's also a downloadable version, i did that, it worked perfectly, turned out that my cart was a little bit too much on front so i adjusted it.

Thanks,
    Basite
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Huge difference btw, and the rumbling is lesser (it's not yet completely gone).
    Thanks guys

greetz,
    Basite
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

here's a pic of the tt with the aligner:
    ir really helps alot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails phono preamp.-tt-aligner.jpg  
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

basite, is that a Shure cart? If so are you using the stabilizer brush?
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

nope, ortofon, OM 5E, no brush, although, it could use one, but i'm not going to buy a new cart until the new tt (i hope), unless it's the grado for the new tt.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Grado's are very good. They have a hum problem with some TT's. The hum occurs as the tonearm gets close to the center of the album. Just a word to keep you aware.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Grado's are very good. They have a hum problem with some TT's. The hum occurs as the tonearm gets close to the center of the album. Just a word to keep you aware.
    I used to have my Sony 32" next to my Pro-Ject TTw/Grado Silver. I never figured it out why, but Grado carts pick up alot of hum from my TV set. Hum increased as cart/arm approached center, but when my TV was off it wasn't "as" noticeable.

My Denon DL-110 is quiet even around spindle.

Dear Basite,
    I recall you saying you are interested in Grado Black with your upcoming TT. I think you may want to consider getting Green instead Black. They are exactly the same essentially, but they say "Approximately 15% of the production run will meet these standards and become Green models."
    I cant stop getting this intuition that only 15% of Green carts are acceptable and 15-30% can be sold as Blacks. Rest are being recycled. I really dont think 85% of production are being sold as Blacks. It doesnt make sense to me.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    nope, ortofon, OM 5E, no brush, although, it could use one, but i'm not going to buy a new cart until the new tt (i hope), unless it's the grado for the new tt.

I would keep the OM 5Ee for the new ttable because you can upgrade it by buying a better OM stylus. The OM 5E is too compliant for your heavy S shaped tonearm. If you buy an OM 10 or 20 stylus you will have a very good cartridge. I use the OM 20 on my Rega and because the cartridge is shielded there is no hum. The Grado's will hum as they get close to some motors on some tables.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information