Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnMichael

Thread: Opinions on a used TT and recommendations on a phono pre

Forum Regular

Opinions on a used TT and recommendations on a phono pre

So, on a lark, I walked into a pawn shop and spotted a Technics SL-1700 that needs a new cartridge for $99. I see these tables are going for $250+ on eBay. Before I even consider purchasing this, I would make sure it worked with a crappy, throw away LP. I would also need a phono preamp because my H/K receiver/amp has no phono inputs. Being that P-mount cartridges range from $30-$250 at needle dr., my price range is in the $50-$100 range. That puts my preamp range at no more than $150 to come in at $350 or less. What suggestions do you, the knowledgeable members here, have for me on this potential purchase?

The Vinyl Engine is a good place to ask questions-

Technics SL-1700 Manual - Semi-Automatic Direct-Drive Automatic Turntable - Vinyl Engine

The thing with used TT's, especially older TT's is that if they break they are hard to fix. I bought a vintage 1970's TT from a guy that fixes TT's and lives by me.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I thought the Cambridge Audio 551p was an excellent phono preamp for the money. It's very quiet, doesn't add or subtract anything to the sound, and it has a power button so it's not sucking power all the time. The 551 is mm only, so if you see yourself playing with cartridges in the future, you may want to step up to the 661p which is mm/mc.
    http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Azur...=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

There are plenty of phono stages for less than that as well. Check out Pro-ject's Phono Box or Schiit Audio.

Hope that helps.

I would put a Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge on it for $115 and then get the Emotiva Phono preamp for for $150. The reviews on the Emotiva preamp are pretty good and it will do MM and MC cartridges.

Whoops, didn't see that you need a P-Mount cartridge.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    I would recommend Ortofon for the cart, generally good performer at any price range. Denon is too but not sure how low they go. I bought an Ortofon for an old table for as low as $55.00.

Good suggestions already for the phono stage, I would add Creek to the list but not sure if they have anything exactly in your budget, they used to have one for under $200.00.

Forum Regular
    If I purchase this table, I was thinking the Grado Black for a cartridge, they seem reasonably priced at $75. Also the Audio Technica 311EP seems like decent value at $65. The majority of my music taste is 60s and 70s Rock. Some more vocal oriented music (Sinatra, Dean Martin, etc.) and select old country. As far as preamps go, I'm completely lost. I've looked online at Needle Dr. and it looks like $159 would be the most I could spend. I'd prefer to buy from them as it's only a 45 minute drive and I can see it and feel it before I buy it, along with the cartridge (I'm old fashioned that way). I could probably haggle the price of the TT down being that it's at a pawn shop and needing a new cartridge.

Suspended
    Not all carts sound the same. The Grado will be more of a warm and forgiving cart where the AT or Ortofon will be more revealing and lively.

I've not heard the Shiit but they have come on strong with products that over achieve for a more than reasonable price per performance. I recommended Creek based on owning an old OBH-8 which was under $200.00 but it took a lot more money to better it.

I would consider moving up to the Grado Blue 1 Prestige cartridge for $125. I think that the Grado's with their warmth are going to be more forgiving of poorly recorded or bright music like old Rock n Roll. And they would be great for vocals like Sinatra and so forth. You might be disappointed a cheaper cartridge. In audio, buy the most that you can afford to avoid having to upgrade or having buyers remorse.

Here is a nice review on the Emotiva XPS-1 Phono Preamp-

Emotiva XPS-1 Phono Preamplifier Review - HomeTheaterHifi.com
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I checked out the reviews on that preamp, looks like if I go this direction that'll be the one. It all comes down to a proper inspection of the TT and the hard job of convincing my wife that it's time for a dedicated TT for our stereo system.

Good luck with the wife. My wife has been very understanding and forgiving with my obsession. She enjoys the music. She is a saint to put up with my Magnepan speakers and my 6 shelf audio rack.

I just got back into Vinyl about 1 year ago with a modest analog system and I am glad I did. Some things sound better on digital and others on vinyl. It just depends upon the quality of the recording. Yesterday, I bought a european pressing of the Neil Young "Harvest" LP that was recorded from the original master analog tapes from Barnes and Noble. It is awesome. Very musical and dynamic with good air, transparency and a wide and huge sound stage. It blows the digital version away.

I see that you are from Becker MN. I live in Woodbury, an eastern suburb of St. Paul. If you are ever in town and want to stop by for a listen, let me know. I have a group of "Audiophile" friends and we get together every couple of months or so and listen to music or swap gear for a few hours along with food and drink. We also review cables and other gear. Also, Frank Van Alstine from AVA HiFi is here in Woodbury and if you are interested, you can audition his gear in his home.

Larry
    Last edited by blackraven; 06-02-2016 at 07:33 AM.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by budding audiophile View Post
    If I purchase this table, I was thinking the Grado Black for a cartridge, they seem reasonably priced at $75. Also the Audio Technica 311EP seems like decent value at $65. The majority of my music taste is 60s and 70s Rock. Some more vocal oriented music (Sinatra, Dean Martin, etc.) and select old country. As far as preamps go, I'm completely lost. I've looked online at Needle Dr. and it looks like $159 would be the most I could spend. I'd prefer to buy from them as it's only a 45 minute drive and I can see it and feel it before I buy it, along with the cartridge (I'm old fashioned that way). I could probably haggle the price of the TT down being that it's at a pawn shop and needing a new cartridge.

Check with Needle Doctor and ask if they would install the cartridge for you. If you are going you might as well take the table with you. A proper install can make all the difference. If you do not need a Pmount cart but one is already mounted I would go ahead and buy a standard mount cartridge. The link provided by blackraven show a standard mount headshell.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    I'm pretty sure it requires a p- mount cart. I didn't look that closely, but it looked like an A-T 90 p-mount cart on the turntable. As far as having the fine folks at the Needle Doctor mount said cartridge, that was already on my mind. They're sure to get it installed and aligned correctly. blackraven, it is a job for me as I have another obsession aside from record collecting/listening. I'm hugely obsessed with late 60s-early 70s American automobiles. Namely GM muscle cars. I'm not brand specific, but I prefer the looks of the GM cars. I've been trying to convince her that now is the time to buy one, as they're not getting any cheaper, ever. So, this may be "another thing" to her. I'm just hoping my current player dies or starts malfunctioning. Then I'll have an excuse to buy one. That's awful for me to say because she bought my current one as a Christmas gift and I cherish all gifts I receive. I just knew nothing of tracking weight, anti-skate, ect. All the stuff to preserve the quality of the records for as long as possible when I asked for one for Christmas. We also didn't have a stereo system as of yet. So, wish me luck.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by budding audiophile View Post
    I'm pretty sure it requires a p- mount cart. I didn't look that closely, but it looked like an A-T 90 p-mount cart on the turntable. As far as having the fine folks at the Needle Doctor mount said cartridge, that was already on my mind. They're sure to get it installed and aligned correctly. blackraven, it is a job for me as I have another obsession aside from record collecting/listening. I'm hugely obsessed with late 60s-early 70s American automobiles. Namely GM muscle cars. I'm not brand specific, but I prefer the looks of the GM cars. I've been trying to convince her that now is the time to buy one, as they're not getting any cheaper, ever. So, this may be "another thing" to her. I'm just hoping my current player dies or starts malfunctioning. Then I'll have an excuse to buy one. That's awful for me to say because she bought my current one as a Christmas gift and I cherish all gifts I receive. I just knew nothing of tracking weight, anti-skate, ect. All the stuff to preserve the quality of the records for as long as possible when I asked for one for Christmas. We also didn't have a stereo system as of yet. So, wish me luck.
    My first car was a used 1969 AMX. A two seater that went damn fast. Wish I still had it.
    topspeed likes this.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    That car would command a pretty penny in today's market.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    My first car was a used 1969 AMX. A two seater that went damn fast. Wish I still had it.
    1969 was a magical year for muscle cars.

Camaro Z28
    Mustang Boss 302 and 429
    Hemi Cuda and Challanger
    AMC Javalin and AMX
    Olds 442

I guess the GTO's were still around, but their heyday was more mid 60's. I'm sure there are ones I'm forgetting.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System