Forum Regular

old creaky floor = skipping

OK, audiophiles.... don't cringe.....

So my house is about 100 years old and has unsteady, creaky floors that shake and don't make for the most convenient for tt spinning. Used to have my tt on main floor but you couldn't even walk -- really -- w/out some skipping. I'm not even talking about heavy people or stomping. Unless you tiptoed and walked at a snail's pace, there would be skipping. And it's hard to train two kids under the age of 6 to walk like snails.

Moved tt to upper floor but having same problem. It's on top of a wood dresser at present, though the upstairs is carpeted, and I thought this would take care of the problem. Doesn't. Any suggestions (aside from don't use a tt or move)?

Can I put a piece of felt under the tt to stableize it a bit?

when you walk, it skips, which would mean that the floor actually 'moves' a little, and when the floor moves, anything on the floor moves with it, so:

can you wallmount the tt? like me:
    it's like a shelve, just it's mounted on the wall...

http://gallery.audioreview.com/showp...&ppuser=254618

it will stop the skipping, and will take most of the rumble away too...

or you can place it on something really big, like a table or so, where the contact points with the floor are far away from eachother, that would help too, but it would be a bit impractical...

good luck &
    Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Bert is right about wall mounting the turntable to isolate it from floor vibrations. Here is a link to a good ttable shelf.
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TGVW1
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlb1515
    OK, audiophiles.... don't cringe.....

So my house is about 100 years old and has unsteady, creaky floors that shake and don't make for the most convenient for tt spinning. Used to have my tt on main floor but you couldn't even walk -- really -- w/out some skipping. I'm not even talking about heavy people or stomping. Unless you tiptoed and walked at a snail's pace, there would be skipping. And it's hard to train two kids under the age of 6 to walk like snails.

Moved tt to upper floor but having same problem. It's on top of a wood dresser at present, though the upstairs is carpeted, and I thought this would take care of the problem. Doesn't. Any suggestions (aside from don't use a tt or move)?

Can I put a piece of felt under the tt to stableize it a bit?
    I used to have a similar problem with my wood floors and turntable skipping and solved it by installing adjustable steel floor jacks (a.k.a. jackposts) under the main beam in my basement. These posts can be found at your local home improvement store or lumberyard.
    http://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Stamp...8&s=industrial

Audio Enthusiast
    The target wall mount will take you a long way towards isolating your turntable. Some DIYers will just go to a home improvement store and buy shelving. But the target shelf allows you to level the platform regardless of how straight and level your installation or how true your wall.

Not to mention, the Target really looks good underneath your Turntable.

They occassionaly show up in used condition on eBay for around $50.

Years ago when I used TTs I made I used a shelf suspended from the ceiling with braided fishing line to each corner. I used small turnbuckles to level the shelf. On the back I had 2 small spikes to hold it lightly against the wall. The fishing line all but disappeared if you use clear line.

Of course this required a little geometry and patience but it worked great. If you have a second floor above the TT this will probably not work tho.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Hi,

Wallmount your TT. You'll be amazed at the difference.

Peace

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

I had a similar problem when living in an old house. everyone said wall shelf, but I was renting for a short time and wasn't going to tear up a wall I would have to fix in a few months.

So, I started by placing partially inflated inner tubes under the table to absorb the vibrations and was surprised to say it worked quite well. It wasn't perfect and I still wouldn't suggest jumping up and down, but normal walking about and such was ok with the inner tubes.

Of course, you may want a better looking solution, and I did pick up a manufactured solution that was essentially 3 tubes inside a wooden box. You sit the table on the top board, which is held by the tubes which you can adjust to level and all that.

I've got concrete floors where I am now, so I don't use it anymore. But, when I needed it, it was a decent solution. The one I grabbed was something someone was selling through Ebay, but I believe their are a few similar devices being sold nowadays.

Thread Information