DJM

Question is it ok to change Grado stylus

I have been using a grado black for some time and I am pleased but its time to replace the stylus. the local dealer says that the cartrage will dry out and that if the stylus is worn its best to replace the whole cartrage rather than just the stylus. I have my doubts that he is telling the whole story.

is it a bad Idea to change just the stylus is there a maximum age or number of times a sylus can be changed before the Grado Black cartrage is going to go bad? is the dealer telling the truth or is he just trying to sell me a cartrage I dont need?

Just get the stylus. The stylus assembly contains the rubber suspension which is the only moving part that could "dry out". There are many places online to buy it. Could probably get a better price and less headaches.

The Grado cartridges are a moving iron design. Not sure if the magnet is in the cartridge or stylus assembly. Could weaken over MANY years... Other than that... the cartridge just has a couple cores with wire wound around them inside. Should last a LONG time. Many people use cartridges that are 20 years old. That's why they sell replacement styli.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I wonder if he was referring to that black compound around the coils and where the stylus is seated. If that is dry it may increase resonance and change the sound.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

DJM
    Does the replacement stylus come with this black compound ?

No, the black compound is installed at the time of manufacturing. If your cartridge is old enough to be concerned about drying out why not just buy a new cartridge? Grado Blacks only cost $40.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Thread Information