New Vinyl Issues

Has anybody else noticed that lots of new Vinyl is of really poor quality. An unacceptable amount of surface noise, the hole being off centre and some 50% of new vinyl I bought recently where the hole is too small. Also lots of warped discs about. Had to return recently 4 out of 9 new records bought to the dealer. What is going on?
    180g, 200g, it doesn't matter. The quality is poor. I am not talking about the recording quality, but the quality of the actual vinyl. Pulling some thin discs from the 70s or 80s and it just sounds so much better. There is of course the odd exception. The new release of Michael Powers - Onyx Root is just superb if you like blues a'la S.R.V.

Peace

"Let The Earth Bear Witness."

yup, I a while ago I bought a new pressing of 'Maiden Voyage" (herbie hancock), for example, and it just sucked. noise all over the place, hole indeed too small, not even completely flat, some weird noises here and there that aren't supposed to be there, ...

I then bought a second hand original pressing, suddenly it was much quieter, better, with a hole that actually was just big enough to fit the tt, it actually was flat, even though it was already 30 years old, ...

Since then I hardly ever buy new releases anymore on vinyl (well, except if it's a new album of course )

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

So it's not just me then. Phww. I thought I struck an unlucky vein. How have you been Bert? Read about your jazzy summer job, good stuff.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    So it's not just me then. Phww. I thought I struck an unlucky vein. How have you been Bert? Read about your jazzy summer job, good stuff.

Peace

it's definitely not you alone...

I've been doing good,

enjoying what's supposed to be a "summer" break, although summer isn't what it feels like...

I'm almost leaving for work now (at the festival ), it's better weather now, so that's good too...

I've been making a 'birthday presents list' too in my head, since it's my 18th birthday next Tuesday, something just tells me I need a new phonostage

and how have you been Bernd?

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    it's definitely not you alone...

I've been doing good,

enjoying what's supposed to be a "summer" break, although summer isn't what it feels like...

I'm almost leaving for work now (at the festival ), it's better weather now, so that's good too...

I've been making a 'birthday presents list' too in my head, since it's my 18th birthday next Tuesday, something just tells me I need a new phonostage

and how have you been Bernd?

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    I am good now. Life did throw me a couple of challenges recently, but all is sorted. But this so called summer has never materialised and is very wet and on the cool side. Oh yeah the big "18" is just around the corner. A new phono stage sounds like a good plan. Any peticular in mind?

Peace

Yup, I can agree.

A few months ago, I had purhcased a batch of Blue Note reissue on a regular 150g or less. I've had positive results from my previous experience, so I picked up 8 for $12 a pop.
    It is defintely one of the worst vinyl I have ever heard. I think Bert's copy came from the same batch. Probably a worn out stamper or some sort.

One thing was consistance, it would sometimes make this aweful sound once in a while. It sounded like shuffling thru a tuner or other station trying to come in. Just awful!

When 'sticks, you may have a package coming your way.

JRA

Universal records

I guess you all have heard by now Universal records has launched their reemergence into Vinyl LP again calling them 60th anniversary audiophile records with the Back to Black slogan.

I decided to repurchase the Supertramp 'Breakfast in America" album
    My original A & M copy is a bit warn and so I thought that I would get the reissue.
    Its pressed on 180g vinyl.
    But that is the only plus for this reissue the album art is not nearly as detailed as the original and the colors are skewed compared to the original.
    As soon as the needle hit the groove I thought it sounded dead although they obviously used some EQ to boost the treble and vocals which are not too bad but all of the bottom end is practically gone there was no since of presence at all.
    Then all the way through side one there was left channel defect.
    Side two there was no defect but they ran the groove almost all the way to the label.
    This was the most lifeless reissue I believe I have ever purchased and if this is was to test the waters on vinyl they should have at least tried to do a better job.
    If you have the original than save your money no need to repurchase this album unless yours is unplayable.
    This was a terrible attempt by Universal Records to jump back in to the vinyl scene.
    I give it a not recommended!
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

PERCUSSION DIRECT 180g 45rpm D2D 2LP

When I saw this new D2D release I was excited to get it it has all the right stuff.
    Groove Note has a new all analogue, vinyl only Groove Note Black Label
    sounds good to me plus...
    D2D
    45rpm
    double LP 180g (though I don't think its virgin vinyl)
    and Bernie Grundman himself was directly involved even the dead wax bears his signature.

The Music is good although the artists are unknown to me it's fun to listen to
    a jazz and world music mix.
    The vinyl looked really good and was perfectly flat
    The mastering is impeccable and dynamic as should be for a D2D.
    but that's as far as it goes

this is the 2nd vinyl record I recently purchased in as many weeks where the vinyl is noisy.
    The record hiss actually drowned out the the piano in some places!

Why go through the trouble to do 45 rpm D2D and then press it on a noisy record?
    It was a waste of time.
    For the artists the master cutter and mine.

The whole reason for D2D is no tape hiss!
    Its this kind of thing that will keep new people from buying vinyl again and back to their CD's.
    One more thing the Jacket crap a thin cheap paperboard and has already come apart at the seams.
    For 49.99 + shipping it was a real disappointment.

Although the surface noise has calmed down a bit since I have played it about 5 times but still not enough.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

but there is hope

I plunged into the unknown again and ordered a Fone record I have never purchased any Fone before.

https://store.acousticsounds.com/bro...Title_ID=44474

they don't go into much detail but I went to the Fone site and is says that it is pressed in Japan so the vinyl I expect will be very quite.

http://www.fone.it/shop/shop.php?act...a&cID=1&pID=69

I received it yesterday....

and its more of a sampler where side one is classical and side two is Jazz.
    If this sampler was a way to sway me to buy more Fone then it worked!
    This is one of, if not the best pressing I have ever heard and definitely the best in my collection so far.
    Beautiful flat pressing
    Super Quiet (Japanese of course)
    as dynamic as any Direct 2 Disc I have ever heard
    Breathtaking
    Realistic
    ambiance
    depth
    super high quality jacket
    Quality double inner sleeve archival for certain.
    worth twice what I paid

So yeah I am one of 496 people in the whole world that has this pressing forever, kinda cool huh.

Now I have another already on on its way I must have a copy and will try to get my hands on more.
    God this hobby is expensive

http://store.acousticsounds.com/brow...Title_ID=39131
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Quote Originally Posted by BRANDONH
    I guess you all have heard by now Universal records has launched their reemergence into Vinyl LP again calling them 60th anniversary audiophile records with the Back to Black slogan.
    Sorry to hear your exprience with the Universal reissues.
    I have a copy of Stevie's Innervision and one by Charlie Parker.

I was fairly impressed by Innervision and thought it was much better than 200g Blue Note Reissues(33rpm). Recording Quality of Charlie Parker- Now the Time wasnt all that great to begin with, so it was nice for me to have a copy without all he pops and clicks.
    Overpriced? Yes, but try getting a clean copy of Clifford Brown for under $50 on Emercy. Maybe I should grab a copy before they bump up the price to $80.

JRA

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Sorry to hear your exprience with the Universal reissues.
    I have a copy of Stevie's Innervision and one by Charlie Parker.

I was fairly impressed by Innervision and thought it was much better than 200g Blue Note Reissues(33rpm). Recording Quality of Charlie Parker- Now the Time wasnt all that great to begin with, so it was nice for me to have a copy without all he pops and clicks.
    Overpriced? Yes, but try getting a clean copy of Clifford Brown for under $50 on Emercy. Maybe I should grab a copy before they bump up the price to $80.

JRA
    To me its not overpriced if I want it, Need it...Must have it...oh yeah oh yeah
    (heck sounds like the beginning of a blues song) lol
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

i too

have had recent bad experience with new vinyl. it came from elusive disc and it was the 'big blue ball' from peter gabriel (classic i believe). noisy throughout. ED challenged me about the noise but i stood fast stating that it was there even in the music, not just in the spaces between tunes.

i took an sacd of ricki lee jones as replacement (had to pay extra) and it arrived with a cracked cover!

well, at least my kraftwerk min/max was ok from amoeba hollywood. still, i dont like 45rpm expansion of time,which doubles the jump-up time for side changing.
    ...regards...tr

Classic records

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    have had recent bad experience with new vinyl. it came from elusive disc and it was the 'big blue ball' from peter gabriel (classic i believe). noisy throughout. ED challenged me about the noise but i stood fast stating that it was there even in the music, not just in the spaces between tunes.

i took an sacd of ricki lee jones as replacement (had to pay extra) and it arrived with a cracked cover!

well, at least my kraftwerk min/max was ok from amoeba hollywood. still, i dont like 45rpm expansion of time,which doubles the jump-up time for side changing.
    Classic records touts quiet vinyl but my most recent purchase the vinyl has visible defects actually a scratch and vinyl buggers side 2 was so noisy it actually drowns out the music.
    I have emailed Music Direct twice already asking for a replacement and an RA # but they have yet to reply.
    What really sucks is I bought it with the 10% off they had over the Holiday and since I have to pay for shipping twice there goes that savings!

I bought 2 Classic Records the 1st one STOKOWSKI RHAPSODIES was very quiet BTW this album is amazing you will not fall asleep on this one, highly recommended

but the 2nd (below)

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/82514
    was a terrible pressing now If I could get a quiet pressing then the album would be great because the sound what I could hear was brilliant.

Maybe they need to switch pressing plants??
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I have to agree with many complaints about new vinyl. The new Coldplay on vinyl had a great first side and a noisy second side. Viva La Vida and Amazing Journey, The Story of the Who were both warped but it was nice to walk into Best Buy and be able to buy vinyl. The Maggie Bell "Queen of the Night" was okay but I do not think the master tapes were in good shape. I guess overall I am glad new vinyl is available.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Angry Wagner - Chopin - Stokowski

I sent the first one back (on my dime) to Music Direct and received a replacement,
    Side two is still totally crap!
    Extreme groove noise in multiple places.
    The fist minute or two is so bad I can hardly hear the music.
    Terrible 200g pressing I guess Classic Records has lost their quality care and lost me as well.
    I have always liked their quiet 200g vinyl but I guess that is not of any importance to Classic Records as long as they can get the pressing to the market and sell it.
    So from this point on for all (New releases) Classic Records vinyl buyers beware!
    I sent Classic Records an email we will see what their reply will be.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Quote Originally Posted by BRANDONH
    I sent the first one back (on my dime) to Music Direct and received a replacement,
    Side two is still totally crap!
    Extreme groove noise in multiple places.
    The fist minute or two is so bad I can hardly hear the music.
    Terrible 200g pressing I guess Classic Records has lost their quality care and lost me as well.
    I have always liked their quiet 200g vinyl but I guess that is not of any importance to Classic Records as long as they can get the pressing to the market and sell it.
    So from this point on for all (New releases) Classic Records vinyl buyers beware!
    I sent Classic Records an email we will see what their reply will be.

Brandon,

Here is my take on 200g. I'm done with them. I have not been dissapointed by 180g but all 200g seems to sound dead and inconsistant. Maybe stampers cannot press properly by heating the extra thickness.

So what new toy did you get? I'm curiuous!
    JRA

Brandon,

Here is my take on 200g. I'm done with them. I have not been dissapointed by 180g but all 200g seems to sound dead and inconsistant. Maybe stampers cannot press properly by heating the extra thickness.

JRA
    Yeah I am done with the 200g too
    the new toy (new to me but its almost 29 years old)
    has is in the shop for some repairs first then I will post pics and review.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Brandon,

JRA
    See preamp section Old School Pre
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

One more try Classic Records

OK I am either a sucker or just too curious for my own good..probably a mix of both.
    I am going to give classic records another chance with their new clear vinyl.
    I should have it in about a week.
    We will soon find out how this one does.
    http://www.themusic.com/detail.cfm?id=9006474

Here is a link to the blog on how it will be done its a good read.

http://www.classicrecords.com/blog/i...archivemonth=9
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Clear Vinyl

Arrived today I will follow up with the sound

my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Classic Home Run

As a follow up on the new Classic records clarity vinyl.
    Classic records hit a home run very clear (pun intended) and detailed.
    Amazing depth ans sound stage highly recommended for you Jazz lovers.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Exporting business must be good. I'm on Import side 99% of the time. I'll trying to gather up some Yen and see if I can grab a set. Thanks for sharing. It sounds promising.

H

Exporting business must be good. I'm on Import side 99% of the time. I'll trying to gather up some Yen and see if I can grab a set. Thanks for sharing. It sounds promising.

H
    It has slowed down a bit but still strong for now.

Hey I ordered the TECHNICS SUPER MAT from KAB I needed some more bearing oil so I thought I would try out the thicker mat too.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Solid by Grant Green on Blue Note 150g

Great album but pressed very poorly.
    I've never noticed added noise in 180g and 200g, but all other re-issues on Blue Note are terrible. If you see BL Reissues are found for less than $18, then buys beware...

$6 U.A. pressing of Nigeria is sounding wonderful.

JRA

Ive often wondered about the new vynil ive seen in some stores.
    Glad i never indulged. And not sure if i will take the plunge. Maybe if i find some thing i just cant do with out.
    Audio exploits of the past year
    :D
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/budgetaudio6/

even more here!
    http://s574.photobucket.com/home/budgetaudio6/index
    and yes its been a slow but full 3 or 4 years yet!

Thread Information