New Toy: Lyra Clavis Da Capo

I got a Lyra Clavis DC retipped by VDH. It is certainly one of the best sound I've heard.
    Perhaps it's not quite as smooth as the Transfiguration, but the Lyra excels in terms of air.
    The Ebay seller claimed this cartridge had less than 5 hours of playing time, and it seems to be true. This little devil has really opened up after 20+ hours and additional 10 or so more hours later, the cartridge has exceeded my expectation. Analog fan knows the meaning of break-in-time of cartridges.
    High freq does not show a hint of artificial or forced tone like the Shelter. The Midrange does not sound rich or exaggerated, just neutral. Lower freq sounds tuneful. It's quite possible that sound people may find it lacking in bass, but my single driver speakers won't play below 40Hz so cannot comment.
    Since I got it retipped by VDH, I cannot compare to the stock unit, but this cartridge/stylus tracks with minimal noise.
    Having a Step up Transformer connected to the MM setting helps, but noise has not been an issue.

One thing I've noticed with this cartridge is that it doesn’t exaggerate bad recordings.
    I don't understand why or how it accomplishes to bloom all recordings. Maybe I'm just excited about my new toy. Who knows.

Due to my habit in this hobby, I just don’t see the benefit of buying a new cartridge, as long as I can find a used one in good shape. Even if a cartridge has less than 500 hours to play, 500 hours is still a long time (700 albums?). After 3-400 hours, I'm always looking for a different cartridge/sound. Retipping can always be done for less than $400. It's no brainer for me.

Have Fun,
    JRA

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

it looks broken

you should send it to ME.
    ...regards...tr

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    JRA I would love to travel and hear the cartridge and your speakers. I could bring the Krell and we could hear how it could handle your speakers.

I had a thought regarding After 3-400 hours, I'm always looking for a different cartridge/sound. Do you ever demagnatize your cartridges? I was thinking that might be why you need a different sound after hours of listening.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    JRA I would love to travel and hear the cartridge and your speakers. I could bring the Krell and we could hear how it could handle your speakers.

I had a thought regarding After 3-400 hours, I'm always looking for a different cartridge/sound. Do you ever demagnatize your cartridges? I was thinking that might be why you need a different sound after hours of listening.
    JM,
    You are welcome to anytime, but I must warn you, my apartment is pretty shaisty. As for the demangnatizer, I can't get myself to pay $200 for some tone generator. Also, how is it possible to demagnetize something that's already magnetic? Without knowing better, I'll just say it's snake oil....

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    JM,
    You are welcome to anytime, but I must warn you, my apartment is pretty shaisty. As for the demangnatizer, I can't get myself to pay $200 for some tone generator. Also, how is it possible to demagnetize something that's already magnetic? Without knowing better, I'll just say it's snake oil....

JRA,

The coils and the metal core they are wrapped around can in time become magnetized. There is an old story that one audio journalist thought that Shure created a new V15 every time the old one had become magnetized. Of course if you want to de-mag a mm cartridge you would need to remove the stylus assembly so you do not de-mag the magnet. Then you might end up with close to zero output.

Here is a cheap tweak that might help. Oh and I have never known you to have problems dropping $200.

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/85851

Oh and when I visit I never judge anyones home only how I am treated in it.

JM
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    JRA,
    http://www.musicdirect.com/product/85851

Oh and when I visit I never judge anyones home only how I am treated in it.

JM
    Well John, I'll just wait for your to bring that disc over. Or, maybe I'll just bring my tonearm to Columbus.

Of course you'll be treated well. We'll go for a factory tour of THIEL in Lexington. I came across a guy who works there, and was told they have listening rooms.

Thread Information