Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Frenchmon I should start by telling you that Music Direct has another Moon 110LP demo model. Sadly a bad demo can ruin your interest in a product. Sounds like the Rogue Triton may be just what you need.

Sorry you experienced disrespect by a clerk. I find it hard to believe that people still treat others that way. I was in an audio shop one day and the clerk asked if I liked Joe Jackson and I do so he put in the Stepping Out cd. You can imagine the track he selected. Why he felt the need to let me know what he thought I was other than an audio customer made me angry. I never went back in that store again.

I also find it suspect that he was going to sell you the 110LP at $100 over MSRP. Very much a place to avoid.

I look forward to reading your impressions of the Rogue. I know they build tube equipment but their last phono preamp was solid state. Is the new preamp still solid state?
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Yes the new Rogue phono stage is ss. I dont want a tube phono amp seeing I have a tubed preamp. I also heard that some tubed phono amps have more chances of noise due to the tubes.

I decided to go with the Rogue because I have had my eye on the Stealth for so long. The guy was rude but I am use to it by now, but I don't have to put up with it. I just can't understand why some people have to be so stupid in business.

I work in IT and we have lots of clients all over the USA because we install, monitor and repair networks all over the USA. Before we dispatch a tech to a sight, we try and remote into the network to solve the problem. Well the clients call us daily because networks go down some times. Its software related most of the time and not hardware related. Clients call us and most of them are as nasty and rude as can be. So I have developed a think skin when it comes to insults.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

I have always worked with the public. I have managed small retail establishments to patient care where it was my compressions keeping someone alive on their way to surgery for a pacemaker. Then in management for Support Services and to my current position of in home caregiver I have needed to be thick skinned.

Now after working hard to give good care I expect a little for myself and friends. I tend to be thin skinned since I am looking for a little of what I have given to come back to me.

So I guess I am thick skinned at work and thin skinned in my off times.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Rega installation my tips

I had a few struggles with the motor instalation. The soldering was the least of the challenges. Centering the motor pulley in the cutout of the plinth and getting the adhesive pad to stick to the plinth were my problems.

I decided to solve the pad problem by cleaning and then coating the old surface. The wood glue smoothed the surface and gave a less porous surface for the pad to stick. I applied a little wood glue and used my finger to spread it around. Before it dried the wood glue smoothed further. After 24 hours I was ready to try the pad.

I had an idea before I applied the pad. The motor mount had two screw holes as did the plinth. I placed the motor without pad and lined up the holes then traced around it. I lifted the motor out of the way and had my outline to use for pad placement. I also knew if the pad was correct when the motor is set directly on the pad the pulley is centered in the plinth cutout.

This time when I peeled back the paper layer over the adhesive and placed the pad in the outline. It was obvious how well the pad was working this time. I put the motor over the pad before I exposed the adhesive and assured myself that the motor would center. It did so I attached the motor about 4 hours after I first placed the pad in the plinth. I wanted to let the adhesive pad adhere before I mounted the motor in case I had to pull the motor apart and reseat it.

I think I have all my troubles solved. Looking forward to another 14 years of vinyl.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Good for you JM! I hope it all works out for you. On another note...I guess the 110lp must be a hot seller....did you notice it went up in price?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Good for you JM! I hope it all works out for you. On another note...I guess the 110lp must be a hot seller....did you notice it went up in price?

Music Direct is selling a new 110LP for $599 and that is the only price I have seen for it. I remember the LP3 sold for $500. Have you found it selling higher somewhere?
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Music Direct is selling a new 110LP for $599 and that is the only price I have seen for it. I remember the LP3 sold for $500. Have you found it selling higher somewhere?
    Well from what I understand gear goes up in price if its new and selling really well after a lower introductory price. This is whats listed at Music direct now.

SIMAUDIO MOON - 110LP SILVER PHONO PREAMP

Price: $649.99

SIMAUDIO MOON 110LP SILVER PHONO PREAMP at Music Direct

Well from what I understand gear goes up in price if its new and selling really well after a lower introductory price. This is whats listed at Music direct now.

SIMAUDIO MOON - 110LP SILVER PHONO PREAMP

Price: $649.99

SIMAUDIO MOON 110LP SILVER PHONO PREAMP at Music Direct

I just received a catalog from them and the price is $599. I wonder if they offer that price to past customers.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I just received a catalog from them and the price is $599. I wonder if they offer that price to past customers.
    Yeah I also get their catalogs. But I do know when a person calls and want to make a purchase, it is possible to haggle a better price.

Well the motor separated from the plinth again. I am trying one more thing before I screw the motor down. I think a VPI Traveler or Clearaudio concept is in my near future.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Well the motor separated from the plinth again. I am trying one more thing before I screw the motor down. I think a VPI Traveler or Clearaudio concept is in my near future.
    I would have thought you would go for that new Rega 6. But of the two, I would go for the Clearaudio Concept minus the Concept cart.

Well last night I gave another coating of wood glue. On the way home I stopped at the local hardware store for some screws, washers and nuts. If this second treatment does not work it will be bolted down.

When I reapplied the motor it only took a few seconds for the motor to stick so well I could not adjust it. This may be a good sign. If it loosens again out comes the hardware.

This has been an incredibly good sounding tweak but a big pain in the A$$.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Well last night I gave another coating of wood glue. On the way home I stopped at the local hardware store for some screws, washers and nuts. If this second treatment does not work it will be bolted down.

When I reapplied the motor it only took a few seconds for the motor to stick so well I could not adjust it. This may be a good sign. If it loosens again out comes the hardware.

Well that is a good sign. I hope it works out this time.

Well that is a good sign. I hope it works out this time.

Thank you. It sounds good when it is working and I hope it will work for more than two days at a time. My Rega was very dependable until I decided it needed the new motor. If it stays fixed this time it will take months before I fully trust it again.

I am going to write to Rega and Needle Doctor and share the problems I had. I do not know if it is the age of my table or the materials they used at the time. It has been an easy tweak other than the pad not working as advertised. It sounded so easy in the instructions.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Dude, your Rega sounds like my Thorens. I spent so much time fixing the dominoes of problems that eventually I threw in the towel and paid my local hifi shop 200 to fix the damn thing. It plays well now but I have to admit that there is a little bitter taste in my mouth.

I know how you feel and I really do hope this is the fix for you so you can listen to those great tunes hassle free.
    Main System: Exposure 2010s - VPI HW-19jr - Denon DL-103LC - ClearAudio Basic - Sony SCD-S7700 - PS Audio DLlll - Revel M20

Quote Originally Posted by Enochrome View Post
    Dude, your Rega sounds like my Thorens. I spent so much time fixing the dominoes of problems that eventually I threw in the towel and paid my local hifi shop 200 to fix the damn thing. It plays well now but I have to admit that there is a little bitter taste in my mouth.

I know how you feel and I really do hope this is the fix for you so you can listen to those great tunes hassle free.

Thanks and I do think it is fixed. The last two nights I have been spinning vinyl without a problem. I checked this morning and the pulley was where it should be. When it was not secure the motor would have pulled away the first evening. Once I trust my self installed upgrade it will be time for the TT PSU.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

The motor is still attached which makes me happy. I learned much installing the new motor. I learned that Rega's tables vary through the years. The instructions mentioned this but some of the recommendations for my table were not correct.

You had the choice between a double thick pad or a triple thick one. This would vary the pulley height so the belt will align with the subplatter. Of course you had both positions of the pulley to judge. To choose the pad you were supposed to place it between the motor and plinth before you took off the paper covers. I found it tough to eyeball the pulley and subplatter with the motor being held in place. I used the double thick pad as recommended but the triple pad might have worked better.

Since I used the double thick pad I needed to use the washer to raise the bearing well so the belt would not rise up to high on the subplatter. I decided to check how the table would work without the washer and found that the platter would now scrape the underside of the platter.

When the platter is elevated the tonearm barely clears the record when you cue a record. I decided to put the 2mm spacer under the tonearm base due to my fears of moving the arm and scraping the needle across a record or bending a cantilever.

If I had to do it again I would use the triple thick pad. Then I would not need the washer and the spacer. The arm height I am using is better soundstaging with a slight loss in bass. Overall it is sounding good and the motor is staying put and now I am glad I did it. I still think the instructions could be better detailed.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Now that the motor is secure I am planning the purchase of the Rega TT PSU. I do not expect the level of improvement the new motor created but I may be surprised. I have been impressed with other power supply upgrades in my system and hope to be as impressed. What I am looking forward to most is the ability to change speeds at the touch of a button.

I will be glad not to have to stretch the belt over the larger pulley. I will play my 45rpm records more often. I will even buy some of the new 45rpm pressings. Oh hell and I love to tweak my Rega.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Now that the motor is secure I am planning the purchase of the Rega TT PSU. I do not expect the level of improvement the new motor created but I may be surprised. I have been impressed with other power supply upgrades in my system and hope to be as impressed. What I am looking forward to most is the ability to change speeds at the touch of a button.

I will be glad not to have to stretch the belt over the larger pulley. I will play my 45rpm records more often. I will even buy some of the new 45rpm pressings. Oh hell and I love to tweak my Rega.

Hahahaha...glad its working out for you.

Hahahaha...glad its working out for you.

It is working but I plan on avoiding do it yourself tweaks in the future. Luckily the TT PSU is plug and play.

Any suggestions for good jazz reissues in the 45rpm class?
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

It is working but I plan on avoiding do it yourself tweaks in the future. Luckily the TT PSU is plug and play.

The Black Lion jazz label just got rereleased and they have limited edition 45 speed releases of their stuff. The label was highly regarded when I use to work at Rhino Records. I think it sells through
    either Music Direct or Elusive Disc.
    Main System: Exposure 2010s - VPI HW-19jr - Denon DL-103LC - ClearAudio Basic - Sony SCD-S7700 - PS Audio DLlll - Revel M20

Heres the Black Lion new releases Enochrome is speaking of. They even have some that have 33 and 45 RMP in one packaged price....limited editions. But they have yet to be released so keep an eye on the dates and order fast, they may not be around long. BLACK LION RECORDS at Music Direct

This is also a good one that I have...I don't know if its the 2M Black or the way they remastered the Ella album but its truly holographic. Also JM, im sure you caught the name of the album "Fine and Mellow". That is the song Billie Holiday wrote, one of the very few she did write all by her self. Ella sounds really good singing it, but you know, once Billie sings a song...any song, all others who sing that song don't stand a chance. Also check out the band she has...excellent.

This one I have on 33 RPM, but its being released on 45 RPM May 18. The 33 RPM is absolutly stunning! I have been bragging about it for a few months now and Poultrygeist purchased it and he agrees its outstanding the way they cleaned it up and remastered it. I have never heard Billie so up close and personal. JM, I know you are a Billie Holiday fan, you wont go wrong with this one...and she is supported by an all star jazz band.

If you can find this one Frank Sanatra at the Sands, with the Count Basie orchestra ...snatch it as soon as possible. Very hard to find in stock on vinyl, and when they realease a new batch no matter if 33 or 45, its gone as quick as you can bat an eye.

Heres the Black Lion new releases Enochrome is speaking of. They even have some that have 33 and 45 RMP in one packaged price....limited editions. But they have yet to be released so keep an eye on the dates and order fast, they may not be around long. BLACK LION RECORDS at Music Direct

This is also a good one that I have...I don't know if its the 2M Black or the way they remastered the Ella album but its truly holographic. Also JM, im sure you caught the name of the album "Fine and Mellow". That is the song Billie Holiday wrote, one of the very few she did write all by her self. Ella sounds really good singing it, but you know, once Billie sings a song...any song, all others who sing that song don't stand a chance. Also check out the band she has...excellent.

This one I have on 33 RPM, but its being released on 45 RPM May 18. The 33 RPM is absolutly stunning! I have been bragging about it for a few months now and Poultrygeist purchased it and he agrees its outstanding the way they cleaned it up and remastered it. I have never heard Billie so up close and personal. JM, I know you are a Billie Holiday fan, you wont go wrong with this one...and she is supported by an all star jazz band.

If you can find this one Frank Sanatra at the Sands, with the Count Basie orchestra ...snatch it as soon as possible. Very hard to find in stock on vinyl, and when they realease a new batch no matter if 33 or 45, its gone as quick as you can bat an eye.

I have the Ella and the Billie on vinyl and they are good. I love my jazz women. I am a fan of Frank Sinatra and I will buy that record. If I had a time machine I would live in NYC during the 40's and 50's hanging out at the jazz clubs.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I have the Ella and the Billie on vinyl and they are good. I love my jazz women. I am a fan of Frank Sinatra and I will buy that record. If I had a time machine I would live in NYC during the 40's and 50's hanging out at the jazz clubs.
    Man I've often said I was born in the wrong time. I wish I could go back and hang out at the Savoy Ball Room down in Harlem during the 30's - 50's. I should have known a music lover such as your self has those albums already....And I too love Sinatra.

Try this site....index

it should keep you busy for a while. I have ordered from them...nothing but remasterd 45's... excellent recordings.

I am pleased to announce that the motor continues to hold. I am beginning to trust again. My Rega of course but not people. I think by the end of the month I will be confident enough to order the TT PSU and my retirement check can pay for it.

I was thinking about ordering it from Needle Doctor since I bought the 24v motor from them and asking for them to throw in a white belt. On the other hand I could order it from Music Direct and see if I can get a deal on some vinyl. I have made more purchases from MD so I might be able to work them a little more.

My thoughts of pulling out the credit card and ordering a new table are fading. I am curious about the improvements I will soon be hearing. Oh and there may just be one more tweak after the TT PSU. Since I will be able to change speed electronically I may try the dual pulley that will allow me to use two belts like the P9.

Hi my name is JohnMichael and I am a tweakaholic.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information