Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Dang you got me going JM! Cause I know ima getting that amp! Thanks.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Welborne has not shipped the power supply upgrade I ordered on 2/20 but they did manage to charge me twice. Another charge on 2/23. I am not too happy right now.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

WOW! Thats not good. Did you call them up?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

I see they also make it hard to call them. You may want to read this link

Welborne Labs - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

I wished I had researched Welborne Labs before I ordered. I have already contested the second charge but I am feeling the need to cancel the order.

Welborne Labs business in trouble ? Be aware - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Welbourne Labs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - diyAudio

Welborne Labs service

I am so used to excellent service from Music Direct and the Needle Doctor that I do not have much patience with companies that do not give good service and then charge you twice.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

So it seems they either deliver the goods on time, or they take forever! I apologies JM...I feel like I am too blame seeing I gave you the link.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    So it seems they either deliver the goods on time, or they take forever! I apologies JM...I feel like I am too blame seeing I gave you the link.

You are not too blame at all. The link looks professional and his products if delivered I think might be nice. In this economy he may be struggling. I am patient he just needs to let me know what is happening. I also want to say it was my responsibility to check him out before ordering.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Well thanks JM, but I still feel like a jerk.

I ordered the Welborne Labs power supply on 2/20 and I have not received it yet. I received one e-mail telling me there was trouble with the supplier shipping the cases. In the mean time I did receive a second charge on my credit card for the first product.

I called my credit card company again to dispute the charges. They will contact Welborne and they have up to 60 days to respond. I did send Welborne another email and tried to reach them by phone. No answer by either method.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I just received UPS tracking notification and the power supply upgrade should be here on the 15th. I will post any improvements. Now I just have to worry about the duplicate charge.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Oh...well thats good news.

A day late but the upgraded power supply will arrive today. I am going to listen to some vinyl before switching power supplies to the new Welborne power supply. Then I will relisten to the same records. As good as the 110LP is I am anxious to hear it with a good power supply.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    A day late but the upgraded power supply will arrive today. I am going to listen to some vinyl before switching power supplies to the new Welborne power supply. Then I will relisten to the same records. As good as the 110LP is I am anxious to hear it with a good power supply.
    Keep us posted.

Well it is currently in use. Heavy and very nice construction. I purchased one of the better power cords and I am impressed with the construction. The umbilical cord from the power supply to the 110LP is obviously more substantial than the cable from the walwart.

At first I noticed an increase in surface noise but then I realized the highs were more open and extended. It was easy to differentiate between music and surface noise. I was quickly able to ignore it.

I will keep listening but it sounds like the 110LP with performance enhanced. Soundstage is larger. On a Telarc disc of "Rite Of Spring" one of the thwacks of the bass drum caused my dog to jump. Oh well I have to go Joni Mitchell is performing in the living room.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Good news to hear....I will be waiting for more updates.

As good as the 110LP is over my previous phono preamps it reached a brand new level of performance. The power supply upgrade from Graham Slee for the Fanfare yielded some benefits but did not kick it up the way the Welborrne Lab PSU did. In defense of the Slee products I was picking up signal from the local radio station so that may have blocked some of the benefits I might have heard in a different location.

I will say that the 110LP is very good for a $600 phono preamp. I also want to say plan on buying a power supply upgrade. Without the PSU you will never know how good a preamp you have.

I purchased the Welborne Lab PSU assembled but you can save money buying the kit.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

But the risk of receiving the Welborne is scarry. You got pics of the Welborne and 110LP together? I love eye candy.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    But the risk of receiving the Welborne is scarry. You got pics of the Welborne and 110LP together? I love eye candy.

I think for me the problem was I had never ordered anything that was built when ordered. I am used to Music Direct, AudioAdvisor and the Needle Doctor who are stockists. You order it, it is taken off the shelf and then boxed and shipped to you. I am not sure of where I was in the number of items to produce. I am just glad I have it.

I will take pictures but it is truly just a black box. The 110LP is on the top shelf between the Marantz 8001 and the Rega. The UPS is between my Sony cd recorder and the Krell S-300i.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

So you think its ok to order from Welborne Labs? He is just slow in getting them out?

Right now I have the Grado phono amp in my system. I am going to compare it to the Simaudio in due time. I also have a new Wire World power cord in my system as well. The Electra™ 52. I did have the The Aurora™ 52 but it was Silver-clad and made my system bright. So I decided to go up the chain and get the Electra™ 52 which is not Silver and man does it have a very dark back ground...really sets instrument in space. The Wire World is driving the SA-T1.

The Grado is not a bad phono amp at all. It kicks the on board Rotel phone amp in the butt big time. The Grado just plays music with smoothness and musicality. Its warm in nature but not too warm. . Just enough detail blended with romance and passion. I mean its got personality. I am now listening to Joshua Redman "Mood Swing" seeing it is the news record I have. Together the smoothness and romatic nature of the Grado and the dark background of the Wire Word Electra 52, and the tubes of the Vincent makes for a very pleasing presentation. Cymbals sound natural. What I really like about the Grado is the pace and rhythm of the bottom and the mids....they make the music really swing. I will be comparing the Grado to the Simaudio in due time. The Grado has a very nice bottom but not boomy at all..just enough to blend in with the rest of the presentation so it all swings.

Other obsevations....

I remember when I had the Bel Canto DAC in my system it was a very detailed unit but still gave me goose bumps with female voices becasue of the richness and warmth that it gave in the mid-section. Like I said... Gave me goose bumps. The Bel Canto kinda gave a slight forward presentation of the voice where it kinda stood out from the music just a tad. The Bel Canto was very good at detail and romance.

Well the Grado has plenty of romance and passion in my system...and I have yet to listen to female voices, and you don't have the detail like Bel Canto. But thats ok... because it just swinging! no hard edges to anything but it just swings. Great pace and rythm and warmth. It pairs very well with the Vincent tubed preamp. The sound is very seductive. My albums seem to be in discovery mode for me. Its a very natural sound...and the seduction has you just listening in a very enjoyable way without being analytically. My system has never sounded this good. I mean the Grado has taken my MMF-7.1 up to another level! Sorry fellas, I am in my man cave....and my eyes are a little watered over due to the emotion that the Grado has added to my system....I have goose bumps and I have not even played any female voices yet.

Almost makes me wonder if a Grado cart with a Grado pre amp might never let you out of the mancave. Officer the Anna Netrebko record was spinning but the cartridge was at the center of the record. The vicitm does not look like he has eaten or drank anything in days but he is smiling.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

JM...I am now listening to Diana Krall on my XRAY. Mind you, my TT sounds better than my CDP, and my CDP is a really nice one. Its the Musical Fidelity XRAYv8 that comes with the XXX external Power Supply. I added a Pangea power cord to the XXX power supply about a month ago and it gave me a better presentation than with the stock power cord. Less noise and better sound stage. With the Wire World Aurora™ 52 power cord added to the Vincent SA-T1 preamp all I noticed was a little more air and bright upper ranges add to my system making every thing bright. So as I said before, I contacted my dealer and exchanged the Aurora™ 52 for the reference range of Wire World power cords and got the Electra™ 52. This cord has taken my SA-T1 up a notch or two! It has not only added a darker background, but it sounds more even across the entire sound stage. Things have a better decay. There is a certain plushness that was not in my system before. Brush strokes on the drums seem to even sound better than before. Its very hard to believe this level of fidelity is coming from my speakers...and this is what I am feeling and hearing now as I type. When I listen to records, the Grado alone with this Power Cord sounds amazing. I can hear things on vinyl that I know I never paid attention to before. What I believe has happen to my system is in the nature of the Electra™ 52 power cord. It has let the nature of the Vincent shine through as never before. There seems to be a level of tube warmth and sophistication that was not there before. Add the Nice presentation of the Grado to that, and a match made in heaven. I may have to ask my dealer if he is willing to sell this demo unit to me, and then I will compare it to the Simaudio.

JM have you changed power cords on the Krell? IF not you may want to try one of WW reference power cords....you may be surprised.

I am now listening to Anita Bakers album "Rapture". I have never listened to its presentation like this before.

The first thing I noticed is that the Grado seems to take the pops out of the vinyl. JM is that what dedicated phono preamps do? The second thing it does is makes everything sound really natural. The presentation is smooth, warm, and nothing is out of balance. The bass has a presence but smooth with the mids and still making every thing swing all together very nicely. Makes music very enjoyable indeed. Nothing is missing and makes nothing stand out more than the other unless a certain piece in the presentation is suppose to have more focus.

Dagg JM!! I am now listing to an album that I have played more so than many and its a little more worn with a few more ticks in the background and the Grado has removed them or covered them up, while at the same time making it all swing much better than before. This is one of my favorite Jazz albums...Paul Desmond "Glad to Be Unhappy" Its a little emotional album, and if you know anything about Paul Desmond, He is a very impassioned sax player. The Grado is nice with its rendition of music. It has a personality that goes well with Jazz and perhaps classical. It sorta reminds me of how Marantz Reference does music. Its not for those who rock 100% of the time I believe, but with its grace and eloquent presentation of warmth...body and soul, while still swinging is perfect for Jazz in my opinion. But I have yet to pull any hard rock out on vinyl. I don't think I have any...the closest is the Allman Brothers Band " At the Fillmore East"...I may have to dig that one out to see how the Grado presents it..

My greatest reduction of surface noise came from using a lowered counterweight. The Moon 110LP did not seem to reduce surface noise but electronic hash you hear with budget electronics. The noise is more noticeable by it's absence. Once the 110LP was in the system the music was purer and silkier but not colored. The Welborne Lab PSU upgrade opened up the frequency extremes and the highs were more extended and transparent. Since the highs are more open and airy you can hear the surface noise more but it is more obviously noise and the music is more separate and distinct then before. It is very easy to ignore the surface noise. I do not want to give the impression that the 110LP/PSU increased the noise they only increased frequency extension and openness. I am also talking about low levels of surface noise unlike before when I was using the stock counter weight.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information