Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

New phono preamp?

Help me spend my money, wisely. I have been looking at a new phono stage for awhile and I think it is down to the Phonomena II phono preamp. My hesitation has always been that its been years since I have heard anyones system with a very good phono preamp. I also think the CA 640P does a great job for a budget preamp. Again with nothing to compare it to except an older Rotel RQ 970BX.

I like the adjustability of the Phonomena for cartridge loading. I like what I have read about it. If I had a more expensive table and cartridge I could see spending more but I will be using it with the Rega for the foreseeable future. I have also noted that hifitommy has recommended the Dynavector but that is a little more than I want to spend right now.

I would like to hear what I might be able to expect with a better phono preamp. I am also interested in anyone's impressions who own the Phonomena.

Music Direct has a 10% off coupon good through the 30th and free shipping. That would bring the expense down to $540. I think now would be the time to buy.

Thanks for the advice and help.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Seems like I saw the Dynavector on Audiogon for about half of list price.

I have never bought used equipment and I am not sure I am ready to start.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Any interest in the Jolida?

Yes I have entertained the Jolida. Then I read a review about a modded Jolida that had a total cost over over $1,000. They bragged about the modded unit and I thought if I was going to pay for the unit and much more for the mods I was better off buying an expensive preamp. I miss the days where you could compare phono preamps in your local audio store.

I have been thinking also about the Graham Slee Fanfare or the Rega Fono MC which are both moving coil exclusive preamps.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Why won't you buy used?

Any interest in tubes? Builing one?
    The Seduction
    http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php?...on=show_detail

The Eros

I have not heard these but they come highly recommended. You can buy them already factory assembled

Jim
    Fairchild 412-1B SME arm Pickering XSV-3000
    Thorens Weight
    GAS Thoebe
    Grant Fidelity B-283
    California Audio Labs Delta Transport
    Paradesea DAC
    DBX-3BX-DS
    Sansui TU-7700
    Adcom 585
    Hafler Pro 500
    Tara Labs Cable
    Legacy Classic's

Tube system Scott 299B, Thorens TD-160, Klipsch Heresy's

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Eck
    Any interest in tubes? Builing one?
    The Seduction

The Eros

I have not heard these but they come highly recommended. You can buy them already factory assembled

Jim

Thanks Jim but I am using a low output moving coil cartridge. I would need a little more gain than they offer. I am not sure if my fine motor skills are up to assembling and soldering.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    OK, thought I would share in your pre-amp thread John. Bought a 12V battery today, gonna wire up the MMF. It's rechargable by 12V adaptor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New phono preamp?-dsc02641.jpg  

Tried to order one from Music Direct but that did not work. See my post about the Music Direct ad.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

used dynavector @ a'gon

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....5-Phono-preamp

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss...vector_p75.htm

i dont see the risk in buying used. this item doesnt last long at agon whenever they are listed.
    ...regards...tr

This Audiogon seller with a PS Audio GCPH is a dealer. I don't know what he means by Like New on this exact item...maybe a demo.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....H-Phono-Preamp

i KNOW david weinhart

been to his store numerous times. if he says 'like new' then you can trust that. the location is rather elegant in the bel air hills of LA. i recently heard the magico m5s there and he is also a dali dealer.

my friend bought a used REL sub there as well. years ago, he invited me to his house to hear MBL101s and i foolishly didnt go.
    ...regards...tr

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I have never bought used equipment and I am not sure I am ready to start.
    Depreciation on high end gear is even steeper than for cars. I've purchased quite a few items used for about half price (or less). So long as it is quality stuff and the company is still around, I have no reservations.

rw

You are right about buying used and if it was an audio store close to home I would jump on it. If I had already heard the Dynavector and knew that was the one for me I would buy it.

If I order a product and it arrives and is not working possibly to mishandling in shipping who is responsible. The seller will state it was fine when packaged, the shipper may say well the box was fine so it was not something we did is it then my responsibility to live with it. These are things I do not know and need to find out before the purchase.

I miss the days of going to an audio store and listening to analog equipment. Checking out the stores trade-in section for items that had been checked out by the stores techs. Hell I miss having an audio store in town other than Best Buy.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

the good thing about the dyna is...

if you dont like it, youll get your money back.
    ...regards...tr

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Several reputable online dealers sell the Jolida. I bought one for 10 to 15% off list at audiowaves. It's also available at spearitsound. Both offer free shipping.

The Jolida has plenty of gain for your high output MC (my high output MC is rated at 3.3mV which is a little higher than the typical 2.5mV, but there's so much gain available from the Jolida I'm looking at some lower output alternatives like a Denon) and lots of settings options (more than I've been able to try) and I'm not sure why anyone would mod it. I'm still breaking in a pair of new Sovtek 12AX7LPS's. I'm sure tube-rolling is about the only change I'll make other than trying different power cords. I've read a lot of comments suggesting that Jolida components do well with upgraded power cords, but I've only tried it with the Jolida cdp. I've yet to be able to articulate any differences in sound. I never intended to go all Jolida, but after starting out with an integrated amp, I eventually added their cdp and most recently their phono amp. I've been pleased with my transition from solid state to tubes.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    I thought the Jolida was a good fit for you too John, remember? I think you had thought that you wanted to go bigger and better. I agree with you though, it's tough when you can't try it out first.

Anyhow, you have a hard decision to make. Are there any models that you have given any thought to? I mean aside from the Dyna...

The Cambridge Audio 640P is a pretty good sounding phono preamp. What really got me looking was the ability to properly load the Benz. When I buy a phono preamp I want it to be adjustable and sound better than the CA 640P. I do not want to go crazy in price for a preamp for a $300 cart in a $500 table. Many of you are right I should be looking for used. Yes and I have considered the Jolida. It also has the adjustments I am looking for at a good price.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Many of you are right I should be looking for used. Yes and I have considered the Jolida. It also has the adjustments I am looking for at a good price.
    Another approach to the loading issue is via inexpensive Y-adapters as seen here.

You're getting close to the budget of a used Audio Research PH-3.

rw

It might help if you let us know what it is you feel the CA is missing. What are you trying to achieve with an "upgrade"?

I'll echo everyone else on the used Audiogon gear. I've bought literally dozens of items via Audiogon and as long as you stick with those who have stellar feedback I've never had a single problem. The great thing is that it's the only way to truly get your money back out of the gear if you decide you don't like it.

Anyhow - let us know some more details as to what your goals are and I may be able to help you down the right path.
    Cayin A-70T Integrated w/ Gold Lion Tubes · PS Audio GCPH Phono Stage · Pro-Ject RPM-9.1 Turntable w/ Pro-Ject Ground-It and Pro-Ject Speedbox II · Dynavector 20X2H Cartridge · Usher Audio X-718 Monitors · Ultimate Cables C4 Interconnects & Speaker Cables

Quote Originally Posted by slate1
    It might help if you let us know what it is you feel the CA is missing. What are you trying to achieve with an "upgrade"?

I'll echo everyone else on the used Audiogon gear. I've bought literally dozens of items via Audiogon and as long as you stick with those who have stellar feedback I've never had a single problem. The great thing is that it's the only way to truly get your money back out of the gear if you decide you don't like it.

Anyhow - let us know some more details as to what your goals are and I may be able to help you down the right path.

The Cambridge Audio 640P is a pretty good sounding phono preamp. What really got me looking was the ability to properly load the Benz. When I buy a phono preamp I want it to be adjustable and sound better than the CA 640P. I do not want to go crazy in price for a preamp for a $300 cart in a $500 table. Many of you are right I should be looking for used. Yes and I have considered the Jolida. It also has the adjustments I am looking for at a good price.

Other than the loading of the cartridge maybe a more defined soundstage. I really have no chief complaints about the CA but I would like to hear how much better a step up may sound.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Well I have signed up for Paypal so watch out Audiogon.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Well I have signed up for Paypal so watch out Audiogon.
    Hopefully, you didn't give them your checking account number.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Hopefully, you didn't give them your checking account number.

rw

Is that a bad idea?
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information